PDA

View Full Version : Truck pull yesterday

markrinker
07-17-2005, 04:51
Entered trucks #2 (diesel) and #3 (gasser) in local county fair pull yesterday. Didn't win any of the 3 classes, but placed well.

#2 pulled 162 ft. in the 9000lb diesel class. Used 2K lbs bagged salt for extra weight. There were many 'tuned' Duramax's, Dodges and Powerstrokes belching smoke through pipes big enough to lose another baby Jessica into.

The funny thing about the 6.5 is how well it performs with so little fanfare. It just gets the job done and goes back to daily driver status. I am proud of that. I am sure many of the winning trucks were running tunes that would never be used for street use.

#3 pulled both in the Stock 6500# class, and as an exhibition only in the Street Legal 6500# with the Diablo Predator 95 octane tune installed. It went 195 feet in the first class and 160 feet in the second - as the sled was set MUCH heavier. In both cases, I never saw the 6.0 gasser get into the power band. Too much traction kept it lugging the whole pull - its alot more fun to watch when you're banging off the rev limiter, but the results of 'slow and steady' are often the same with less broken parts.

Anyway - if you get a chance to pull your 6.5 this summer - DO IT! You might be 'hooked' after that. I know I am.

[ 07-17-2005, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Chris611
07-17-2005, 12:08
Glad to hear you did well. Just curious how you pulled? 4HI or 4 LO and also what gear 1st, 2nd? Also is your truck manual or auto?

Thanks
Chris

markrinker
07-17-2005, 18:42
4LO in first gear - automatic trans. Never had the need to hit second. I tried that last year with the 6.5 and lost lots of ground speed.

Marty Lau
07-18-2005, 09:48
Hey Mark you should come to the pull off next year tis a fun time and see how your 6.5 does on the hill!

Chris611
07-18-2005, 13:46
Mark, one other question. I see you have Heath's chip. Do you have an intercooler or Water Injection? Wondered how how the intake got as well as the EGT? Good to hear the 4Lo 1st gear. We have a few pulls around here that have street truck classes. Most guys come in with Strokes and Cummins that are built to pull. I can't image how much money they have in those trucks. I always figure I will have to swollow a lot of pride to take the 6.5 out there fall short of the others by so much.. smile.gif I like the 6.5, but it is what it is. The new stock stroke/cumming/dmax have a lot of torque advantage over even a chipped 6.5. I may just have to try it though. Thanks for the post.

Chris

markrinker
07-20-2005, 17:54
16ga SxS - Next year? I thought it was coming up this fall? I am considering a trip out with the 6.5 and the 6.0 gasser...which is now making about 340hp (motor) and outpulls my 6.5. Later edit - I was confusing the 'Pulloff' with the 'Rendezvous', sorry. Who won the pulloff this year? Any results posted?

Chris - No intercooler or water injection. May try Heath's new intercooler when it comes out, as long as it doesn't interfere with the Western plow mounts.

Don't think there is enough time in the pull for the EGTs to get past 900 degrees or so. In fact, I consider that a problem - starting from a 'cold' start (~300 degree EGTs and no boost pressure) as opposed to having a 600 degree exhaust flow and 12+ lbs of boost already going when you drop the hammer against the sled. I tried a short brake stand and it helped this last pull. Next time might be longer and wait for the EGTS to hit 600 that seems to be the magic number for my motor.

[ 07-21-2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Diesel Dan
07-23-2005, 17:47
I pulled for the first time a couple weeks ago, used the dodge for the however. Brake torqued it slightly at the line and eased into the throttle....and the tires just started spinning and squealling. Was wondering if the sled was gonna move, all while weighting 7Klbs+. Running 3.54 gears, 4LO, 1st gear and 285 tires. I should have shifted, was on the govenor @3300 pretty quickly, just didn't know if the trans would have taken a full power shift.
Shifting was the ONLY reason I got beat by a 8.1/ally. He hit 2nd right away, beat me by only a couple feet and about stalled the motor, couldn't spin the tires.

Pullin is fun, wouldn't mind pullin the chevy and dodge at the same pull sometime.

markrinker
07-24-2005, 05:33
Tall gears AND tall tires! You must have more than enough power up front to make that combo work. You were smart not to shift - diesels can fall off their powerband easily when they are already over-revved. I would bet that you went further by "lettin 'er buck".

My 6.0 gas with 4.10 gears and stock height rubber outpulled an 8.1 gas with 3.73 gears and 285's. He seemed amazed by this.