PDA

View Full Version : 'mon guys help me!!!!!!

James S
06-09-2003, 22:11
Hey Guys!

I want to order my exhaust. I am in Edmonton Alberta Canada. What are good reasonably quiet but aggressive sounding exhausts? What horse power, torque, and MPG gains can I expect??????? So far, I know of Banks Monster, Dynomax, Magnaflow, Gibson dual Streme, and ATS. The ATS, has the most horse power rating increase. Looks nice. What does it sound like, detailed description!!!!!!!!!? How quiet? Actual horse power increase? I want an exhaust that has a rhythmic burble to it, like the engine at idle. Certainly it can have some noise, but vary little if any, in the cab! Any one in Edmonton, with any exhausts on their truck I can hear?? I want to order this week. I've read through all the exhaust stuff, and I want to order from a big company, a good quality system, [stainless steel because of the salt and never ending winter] MOST IMPORTANTLY!, I will get the one that is the MOST affective in horse power, torque, and MPG gains, that adds some aggression to the sound of the engine in a CIVIL manner, and aids with EGT reduction. Cost does not matter. This vehicle is probably going to last me the rest of my life, so I will go all out. I do not want to go custom, given previous bad experiences. I want to order by June sixteenth, next Monday, at the LATEST. I'm counten on you!

James

ski
06-09-2003, 22:41
james,
you may also consider the kennedy exhaust also. i do not have an aftermarket ehxhaust yet, but his is the one i am considering along with the banks. i think he had sound clips on his site also. good luck

ski

imported_
06-09-2003, 23:25
meet me in lethbridge sometime... i'll give you a tour of a banks 4"//// or email me your ph#...my brother is working the patch for precision... he could also give you the banks tour! rt10magnum1 at excite dot com

James S
06-10-2003, 08:55
Hey There,

Thanks for the offer, but getting down to Lethbridge is not an option given, time. I'm vary good with vocal descriptors. Can you describe how it sounds. Does it have a rhythmic burble to it like the Chev 350, or like a continuous growl, like a big Catt? Which system is the most durable, has the most ACTUAL horse power GAINS, torque, MPG improvement, etc?????? I want to stick to Canada, so the Kennedy system is out. John, no offence intended! I really want to know about the ATS system, both the single and the dual systems. Please do tell, those who have it. Again, sound, power, build, etc. Thanks.

James

HD-Nate
06-10-2003, 09:07
james,
you may also consider the kennedy exhaust also. i do not have an aftermarket ehxhaust yet, but his is the one i am considering along with the banks. i think he had sound clips on his site also. good luckI just installed the 4" Kennedy exhaust over the weekend.It is NOT stainless but aluminized steel which will probably last you a life time.

One of my trucks, an

Kennedy
06-10-2003, 09:26
FWIW, I believe that the "splattery" or "fluttering" sound is a function of the V8 design as it is heard on PSD's as well.

I have a perforated core muffler (also requires modification) that gives a truer, cleaner sound, BUT it is louder. I think that the extra "loudness" just masks the flutter.

hoot
06-10-2003, 09:26
Although cash is a little tight for me as far as add-ons is concerned right now, I would love the Kennedy 5" tail pipe sticking out from behind my tire.

tpitt
06-10-2003, 09:48
Jame S,
I have the A.T.S. Stainless duals and love them. They are a well engineered system and sound like a big block Chevy. They are pricey, but they are worth every cent. You aren't going to notice much difference in horsepower or torque between any of the exhaust systems. These are the highest quality exhaust systems which I have seen so far, but I certainly haven't seen them all. Almost forgot, but at around 2500 rpm while pulling there is some resonation, but I nor my wife find it obnoxious. tpitt

James S
06-10-2003, 10:33
Hey Tpitt,

I went on to the ATS site, and you could hear a diesel truck starting up, idling for a few seconds, then revving a few times. It sounded exactly like what I want my truck to sound like, with that deep, rhythmic burble to it. Now, my question is, was that the dual system, or the single system? Can you tell me? Did you notice any difference in power from when the factory exhaust was on, to when you put the ATS dual system on?????? What are your EGT's like? I am concerned that the five tips will look goofy. Do the have four tips? What is your time from zero to sixty miles an hour, roughly? Thanks for your help. I wait for your reply. The web site address is: www.atstur (http://www.atstur)

hoot
06-10-2003, 11:11
Originally posted by kennedy:
FWIW, I believe that the "splattery" or "fluttering" sound is a function of the V8 design as it is heard on PSD's as well.

I have a perforated core muffler (also requires modification) that gives a truer, cleaner sound, BUT it is louder. I think that the extra "loudness" just masks the flutter. John,

I believe the fluttering is from the turbo. That's why turbo diesels aren't as loud as regularly aspirated gassers which are loud at idle, unlike our trucks.

The turbine is somewhat of a "spinning" muffler that chops up the sweet sound of a V8.

HD-Nate
06-10-2003, 12:04
Originally posted by kennedy:

I have a perforated core muffler (also requires modification) that gives a truer, cleaner sound, BUT it is louder. I think that the extra "loudness" just masks the flutter. Hey John, thanks for all you help over the phone and e-mail.

The splatter sound pretty much went away after driving it for awhile and getting the muffler heated up.

Presently a happy camper :D

Nathan

GSXRTURBO1
06-10-2003, 15:13
Turbo? And all this time I thought I had a rotary baffled muffler! ;)

tpitt
06-11-2003, 16:39
James S,
Mine is the dual set-up. I can't tell you about any change in power as I had a E.Z. amp on it when they were installed. I really don't believe your going to gain a lot with just an exhaust. tpitt

imported_
06-11-2003, 22:58
james /// call me at home in the evening... then i will place my phone near the exhaust and give it some throttle...then you can listen to it for yourself.
email me rt10magnum@excite dot com

James S
06-12-2003, 09:48
Hey There, TPIT and MAD MAX

I am not going to put a power box on the truck, but am wanting the truck to breath a little easier, and maybe get a few more horse power by doing that. From what I have read, put a more less restrictive air filter in the front, and a four inch exhaust at the rear. I do not want to much more turbo noise, so was thinking about the KNN air filter and either the Banks exhaust, or the ATS dual exhaust. However, Banks is known for over estimating how much horse power you will get from adding their exhaust, and ATS is saying I will get thirty-two more horse power with their dual exhaust. I like the sound of the ATS dual exhaust, and MAD MAX, I will e mail you and then phone you at home, to hear your Banks. Do you have any GUESS as to how much horse power I can gain, and what breathes better, the Banks, or the ATS??? TPIT, does the dual, with the deep burble sound, cause any more vibration in the truck at idle, than stock? I just don't want to go deaf from hearing a deep, continuous burble, and don't want any more vibration in the cab of the truck, whenever I am sitting at a light, or just stopped. If you can hear just a hint of it in the cab, no problem, but I bought the Duramax because of how QUIET it is in the cab. MAD MAX, how's the Banks in the cab at idle? I also assumme, from everything I have read, any bigger exhaust will lower EGT's and allow the truck to breath more, but it is the Banks or the ATS, and which one does this the best. I'm getting close to deciding what exhaust I want. Thanks for baring with all my questions guys. And just to confirm, the KNN air filter is the best REUSABLE air filter, interms of filtering and letting air through, CORRECT??????? I am in Canada, so cannot seem to find any of the others. If not, Canadian Duramax owners, let me know which one is better, and where to get them, please and thanks. Thanks again for all your help, everyone.

James

WhiteDuramax
06-12-2003, 10:34
If I had the money I would get the ATS Duals, I'm sure they would look and sound sweet. I dont think I would get a K&N after seeing some oil anylsis on here, they show they are letting more dirt through than an Amsoil or AFE filter. I would get one of those two as the are both reusable also.

imported_
06-12-2003, 18:17
the exhaust is more burbly at idle..not louder just lower tone.
cankin the bass as it were
at max power... soundls like any performance exhaust... more throat, but still well within reason.
my advice.... if ya got da cash get the ats duals.... but for a sweet and somewhat factory look (if you don't put on the 5" tip) banks is hard to beat.
got mine for 619.00 'merican for an ext long box
hope it helps.