PDA

View Full Version : Here it is: TST/Hot Juice comparison with a 6 speed truck

GMCTRUCK
06-10-2003, 17:54
Made sure my buddy's Hot Juice was in level 4 both normal and T/H before we unplugged it and hooked it up to my 6 speed truck. Drove around to put some heat in the engine till we had full power. Hot Juice definitely runs good with the 6 speed and feels stronger than it does with the auto. Probably because of no interferance from the Allison. Made a few runs using seat of the pants feel, paying attention to tire slip, and speeds at end of given distances. Then we put my TST box back in. We left my TST in level 9 for the torque enhancement mode and only changed the power level modes to make comparisons. Level 3 on the TST and level 4 Hot Juice turned out to be about equal. The Hot Juice did make more smoke at lower rpms but, didn't make any more power. Level 4 TST was a little stronger than the Hot OJ and made more power quicker and right to the rev limiter compared Juice while making less smoke at lower rpms but, more smoke at higher rpms. Level 5 TST was noticeably stronger with a harder pull and it was more tractionally challenged. TST levels 6-9 were way out of the Hot Juice's league. TST without a doubt felt more powerfull across the board with much more of a 2-stroke surge compared to the Juice, of course this is the competition Powermax and not the standard Powermax so it's not drivetrain friendly and will blow right through a stock Allison. I would guess the standard 140HP TST Powermax and the Hot Juice are probably comparable to each other. Soon enough I'll give my impressions of the 100HP Predator with the 6 speed.

LMorse
06-10-2003, 18:14
I'm new here, so bare with me.. What exaxtly is the TST box.. Is it a plug in type like the juice??

mackin
06-10-2003, 18:36
Originally posted by LMorse:
I'm new here, so bare with me.. What exaxtly is the TST box.. Is it a plug in type like the juice?? Yes .....
Pretend it does not exsist untill you have a Upgraded tranny ...... Or you wont have a stock tranny for long you will blow right thru the tranny under throttle every gear not just OD.....No mercy .....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

mackin
06-10-2003, 18:39
GMCTRUCK

Hows your buddies truck holding ?? Has he moved up the levels yet ???

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

GMCTRUCK
06-10-2003, 20:05
Originally posted by mackin:
GMCTRUCK

Hows your buddies truck holding ?? Has he moved up the levels yet ???

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif No more limp problems with Hot Juice and his 03 GMC. Only limped that one time with you in the truck. He took it easy for a day or two to let the tranny "learn" and now he runs around in level 4 no problem. Just to clarify my original post some more: I'm running the newest, most powerful version of the TST competition box. Also level 3 TST and level 4 Hot Juice were too close to call and level 4 TST was slightly stronger. Certainly not night and day. It was level 5 and up on the TST that were more obviously and increasingly stronger.

[ 06-10-2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]

king D
06-10-2003, 20:12
hey gmc how much collateral would you need to let me run that tst comp for a few days once i get my tranny installed i am going tom reflash my va to 225 and would like to compare them just hoping

sdaver
06-10-2003, 20:18
hopefully soon Ill have a comp tst to try :D dave

Kennedy
06-10-2003, 20:55
My guess is that the TST will slap the VA 225. I had one done up for me, and while it did do 420RW, it lacked torque numbers. Either way, 242 to 420 does not equal 200+ HP. :rolleyes:

The TST was right in there, but I could not make a complete pull above level 6 as levels 8 and 9 had a nasty instantaneous burst fart thing going on. I've only seeen this a couple of times when stacking, and it's not good. I believe it is in the fuel delivery/pressure, and possibly a lack of supply.

Levels 3 and 9 which is supposed to be the 140 HP level were right at 407 which leads me to believe that in order to TRULY find the output level of the general release 140 HP box, I'll have to wait until they arrive in the box and pull one out to try it...

We won't talk about EGT's as most gauges don't read that high... :eek:

GMCTRUCK
06-10-2003, 20:56
King D, You can try out my TST anytime but, CT sure is a far drive from NC. ;) I'd send it to ya but, I don't think I could stand having a stock truck for more than 10-15 minutes. Toddster has the newest TST and I believe ran the the 225 VA for a while. He could probably give you a pretty good idea of how they compare. That is if his tranny is still in one piece. ;)

GMCTRUCK
06-10-2003, 21:06
John, my first version of the TST comp. box did kind of a "burst fart" like you describe but only once. Not sure why but, I did mention it to Greg. This new box is no problem even at 9/9. Been in Toddster's truck at 9/9 also and his didn't do it either. It definitely makes some heat at the higher levels.

Kennedy
06-10-2003, 21:15
I don't think that the SPA digital will read past 1784

Burner
06-10-2003, 21:20
So that's how you make "Turbo Soup", just add a little heat. ;)

Burner----> :D

Burner
06-10-2003, 21:31
HEY, HEY, HEY .. My shocks are here! T'nanks JK!

Stupid question: Is it possible to access the power of any box above 140 Hp with the "stock" transmission? Will the dyno give "real" numbers in a specific gear or does it account for the "slippage" that occurs with a COMP box? :confused:

Burner------> :D

Kennedy
06-10-2003, 21:47
We saw 413 on a '03 dually with the same stacking combo that did 457 on my truck. We heard a slip when stacked. IIRC, the dually ran about 390 to my 414 single box.

svpdiesel
06-11-2003, 15:35
GMCTRUCK- does your friend's 03 have EGR and a cat? I'm thinking about trying a hot oj on a California truck, would like a little feedback before I wreck something besides tires...
Thanks
Steve

GMCTRUCK
06-11-2003, 20:55
svpdiesel, the 03 GMC that I took the Hot Juice off of is a CT truck and fortunately we don't get the cat or egr. Although another buddy of mine has a Mass. 03 truck which does have the cat and egr and he's been running the Hot Juice and stronger boxes since it was new with no apparent problems. Since it doesn't apply to my truck I haven't studied the Duramax egr system but, I can just imagine that the extra soot produced by these power boxes would be murder on an engine if the egr wasn't operating properly. As it is, from what I've heard from egr'd Duramax owners there engine oil turns black almost right after an oil change where the oil in a non egr truck is still golden brown after 3k miles.

Big O
06-12-2003, 18:16
GMCTRUCK,
Are you running a stock ZF6, without any slippage?

GMCTRUCK
06-12-2003, 18:25
Originally posted by Big O:
GMCTRUCK,
Are you running a stock ZF6, without any slippage? All stock and so far so good. Everytime I do a hot run I do cringe and pucker alittle just waiting to hear zinnnggggg. :eek:

Big O
06-12-2003, 18:49
GMC,
It is good to hear that the clutch will hold up to that much HP. It is good that you have enough GONADS to try out that much HP, I would be afraid of having to rebuild the clutch! :eek:

GMCTRUCK
06-12-2003, 20:03
Well unless the 03s have a stronger clutch mine holding up this long seems to be the exception rather than the rule and I don't expect it to last.