PDA

View Full Version : Soft shifts last two days whats up?

NWDmax
06-11-2003, 09:45
In the last two days the Allison is giving me a real soft shift most noticeable from 1st to 2nd.
Seems to slide in to 2nd instead of the usual firm shift even when cold.
No codes, no limp,fluid full and smells fine.
Driving like I always do and batteries have not been disconnected.
Anything to worry about?
Blake :confused:

hoot
06-11-2003, 09:56
Take her up to about fifty mph and drop the shifter into first.

Do it a few of times.

Computer will do the job of downshifting with no harm to the truck.

See if that doesn't tighten things up somewhat.

mackin
06-11-2003, 09:56
Prolly cause you've been driving it kinda soft,lately .....

Mac ;)

CanadaKev
06-11-2003, 13:44
I'll echo what hoot said.
It should smarten 'er up.
You can also do a search on the 'tranny relearn'.

Kev

Your wife/girlfriend bin drivin' yer truck lately :D ;) :D

NWDmax
06-11-2003, 15:01
Wish me happy anniversary! 20 years of marital bliss. :D
My wife never ever drives my truck so thats not it.(I'm glad she's only 5 feet tall)
I thought the downshift to 1st going real fast tranny relearn method was proven to be a myth. :rolleyes:
I heard it here didn't I Mac? :D :D tongue.gif tongue.gif

CanadaKev
06-11-2003, 16:08
Try it anyway, it won't hurt.
Let us know if you notice a difference.

Kev

Bullseye54
06-11-2003, 21:23
I just went through the downshifting to 1st routine & mine shifts a lot better now.Even if that didn't fix it,it gave me something to do while the trans got with the program.

mackin
06-12-2003, 04:13
Myth .....

It was suggested but never proved to actually work as a "mind eraser" ..... The outcome is a relearn was done only with a Tech II unfortunately .....Steve'O or someone cleared that up I believe .... Rumor is with the Ford Torqushift one just has to disconnect the batteries,unlike GM ....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

hoot
06-12-2003, 07:31
Originally posted by mackin:
Myth .....

It was suggested but never proved to actually work as a "mind eraser" ..... The outcome is a relearn was done only with a Tech II unfortunately .....Steve'O or someone cleared that up I believe .... Rumor is with the Ford Torqushift one just has to disconnect the batteries,unlike GM ....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Nobody said it was a mind eraser. What it does is gets the TCM to make adjustments that help tighten up the shifts and cure the first gear slam on some 2001 trucks.

It definately made a difference after I did it.

The problem is the trans will change shift habits as you change driving habits and power levels. It just doesn't do it fast enough. If I don't use propane and drive normal for a while, then hit the propane, I get a long shift flare between first and second almost every time. Then after a few shift sequences, it goes away and shifts great. That's the tranny re-learning. After driving like that for a while then turning the lp off, I get nice tight crisp shifts when driving normal for a while till she re-learns back to normal.

The downshift excersize seems to put the trans in the tighter shift mode.

[ 06-12-2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: hoot ]

NWDmax
06-12-2003, 09:35
10 lbs of boost and foot to the floor leaves a dual black stripe on the road then defuels.Clean pavement for 10 feet and then hit 2nd gear and she lights em up again leaving a long(like a 100 feet or so)double black stipe again!All is well as nothing is sliiping but the BFG's!
I'm thinking the tranny is just warming up quicker cause we've had some real hot weather lately. :D :D

hoot
06-12-2003, 09:38
Did you do the downshift deal?

NWDmax
06-12-2003, 09:49
Hoot I did not do the downshift deal because I wanted to see if it would change by driving a bit more aggressively.I was mostly concerned that 2nd gear was slipping and the burnout test confirms that is isn't.
My cousin just installed his JK hot juice last night and he called me on the phone when he was testing it for the 1st time.All I could hear was tires squealing and him LHAO!!
The dude that did the pyro install was afraid to drill the exhaust manifold for fear of cracking so I got on JK's website and printed off some pictures of where and how to do the install and faxed them down to him.
He "got the picture" real quick and all is well!
Send him a bill John. :D :D