PDA

View Full Version : My impressions of the Predator

JrTuner
02-26-2003, 22:10
I got the Predator today, version 1.02 for those who want to compare. Install was pretty straight foward, no problems. I do have a Hot Juice on the truck now. The first thing I did was set the Hot Juice to the 15 HP timing only setting. Going to listen carefully since I was stacking. Downloaded the 85 HP setting from the Predator also raising the speed limiter to 125 MPH. After a short road test home from work, the motor didn't sound too bad like it had too much timing or anything. Wasn't too impressed with the power but never got a chance to put the pedal down and hold it. Did notice a 1500 rpm sag that was more pronounced when the truck had more load on it, i.e. cruising in 5th gear and rolling into the pedal. Got home and decided to go for broke and stack it on the 120 HP Hot Juice setting. Like I said it didn't sound like the it had too much timing. Now it accelerated hard. I didn't hold the pedal down because I was subconsciencly worried about having too much timing. The sag was still there maybe even more pronounced. My next test was to eliminate the Hot Juice entirely. Did this and on the 85 HP setting still had the sag. Power was ok but really not impressed. 3rd gear full pedal pull the maximum EGT I saw was 1000 degrees at 26 psi. On the 120 HP Hot Juice setting I could easily see 1200 degrees and 30 psi doing the same thing. Still trying to figure out the sag, I downloaded the 40 HP tow setting from the Predator. Sag still there and the funny thing is that I saw the same 1000 degrees and 26 psi as the 85 HP setting, makes you wonder. I am more worried about the sag and tomorrow I am going to call my dealer and try to get some information about it. I am also going to try and get them to send me the 3 tunes without timing so I can stack all of the time and not have to worry about it. As power goes the Hot Juice wins. I do like the Predator's ability to raise the speed limiter and that it will be able to be upgraded at my dealer when they have more options available. The scan tool feature is pretty nice also, you can view alot of parameters.

orange2
02-26-2003, 22:20
Maybe it is your allison, mine has no sag anywhere. I got a 6 gear, maybe it works better on the manual. I haven't loaded any other program other than the 85hp, maybe I will go out and try the 40 just to see the difference. Mine will smoke the beat hell if you lug it alittle, but once the boost comes up it goes right away. Me likey smoke, whether it be exhaust or tire. :D I would like to ride your busa, I gots me a zx12. You gots good taste in toys too. :cool:

JrTuner
02-26-2003, 22:22
It doesn't sag stock or with any of the Hot Juice settings.

orange2
02-26-2003, 22:40
You are not getting your programs changed. There is a big difference between the 40 and 85hp, I just went and tried. You don't use the modify performance setting, that just lets you pick the hp level you want the speed limiter changed in. You have to use install to change levels, you will have to turn the key on and off to do this, If you are useing the install you have a problem with your unit. I would like to race a juice truck, anyone in Iowa got one?

JrTuner
02-26-2003, 23:03
I didn't use the modify parameters. I went in and downloaded the 40 HP setting. I did the whole key on and off thing both times.

orange2
02-26-2003, 23:16
Your unit definetly isn't getting the programs changed, you can feel the difference, its nite and day. The only reason I brought up the modify and install thing is because thats what I tried the 1st time. Live and learn. It won't feel very good compared to a hot juice, now that I have felt the 45 hp difference for myself. Call whoever you got the unit from and have them send you another one to try. I really think yours isn't working.

Kennedy
02-27-2003, 08:24
My experience is VERY limited, but if you go into "options" you can scroll down and verify level of tune. This is something I would suggest be done whenever changing tunes.

Dave S
02-27-2003, 09:04
Has anyone checked to see if there predator is monitoring boost? Mine does not, it remains at 0 kpa even under full boost conditions. Just wondering why the parameter would be listed but not used or monitored? Power seems to limited to near stock levels in 1st gear(without power braking) then comes on after the 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift indicates some defueling, 3-4 appears to defuel more than 2-3 and 4-5 is very lazy with a long delay in power delivery. I would like less defueling between shifts and of course more power!!!!!!!!!!

Kennedy
02-27-2003, 10:55
There are a couple of data points that do not show values. IIRC, baro is another.

orange2
02-27-2003, 12:45
On my 6 speed you can feel de fueling in 5th at 3000 rpm and in 6th at the same rpm. It does not accelerate real hard in 6th from 3000 rpm till the cutoff at 33-34oo rpm. I also noticed that its not reading the boost in the parameters, but it has to be, doesn't it? How else would it pull more fuel in or am I missing something?

Mike Fultz
02-27-2003, 13:34
hey guys--- I have a neophyte question. What is defueling??

Mike

RWTD
02-27-2003, 14:09
> I also noticed that its not reading the boost
> in the parameters, but it has to be, doesn't
> it? How else would it pull more fuel in or am
> I missing something?

The Predator does not pull fuel or add fuel. Your pcm does that. The Predator changes the factory calibration. It works just like the factory setup, in that once it's on the rom it stays there until you change it. The pcm actually is what is monitoring your vehicle from the various sensors, and it decides what needs to be done. That's the just of it in a nutshell ;)

As for changing tunes you must select "Install Performance" and then select your desired tune from the list. The Modify section actually allows you to change the speed limiter (which includes revs) for each performance tune, so if you want to change your speed limiter, make sure you go to each tune and physically change them using the Modify section. Once you do this, though, it does stay preset to your last adjustments.

I hope this helps! If anyone needs anything please do not hesitate to ask away!

Sincerely...

orange2
02-27-2003, 15:08
Well i know it doesn't pull the fuel but if the pcm reads the boost why don't it show up on the predator display if its on it?

RWTD
02-27-2003, 16:46
hey Troy, sup? :D How's the weather? heheh It rained like cats and dogs here yesterday and just a lil today.

I'll talk to them about the boost issue. It seems that the Predator is not properly reading this, obviously, so I'll pass it by the engineers tomorrow, and see what they come up with.

Will let ya know bud!

JrTuner
02-27-2003, 17:27
As stated earlier, everytime I changed the tune with the Predator I did verify it in the options menu. The truck pulls hard with the Predator 85 HP tune and the Hot Juice set to level 4. Yet to hold the pedal down in any gear because of traffic but I did see 1100 degree EGTs at 75% pedal in 3rd and 4th gear. The 1500 rpm sag is still there though. Called my dealer this morning and he was suppose to call the engineer at Diablo and have him call me but that never happened. Runninwithdevil, have you heard of anyone else with this sag? It is real annoying since with a diesel as you all know, you tend to cruise right around 1500.

schnier
02-27-2003, 17:52
JrTurner: I agree there is a mellow point but mine does it in third or fourth gear. It hits hard in first and second gear, then mellows out in third gear, then comes back hard in fourth or fifth, cant remember exactly by counting gears all the time, watching EGT guage, and speed all at the same time. I did see 1300 deg on EGT with 85 HP, and stock exhaust, floored up to 90 MPH. The 60 HP ran 1200 deg floored to 90 MPH. I can't wait to tow and see how good it pulls. The 40 HP mode adds just a little more to get you around, and possibly economy MPG?

orange2
02-27-2003, 18:02
See with the 6 speed my truck runs over 1500 at 55, at 60 it runs 1900. Well thats not right, I got 265 rubber and according to my gps 60 is about 62.5-63 mph. If you are seeing egts that high with stock exhaust i have got to get sum gauges. How do kennedys look with that add over pillar pod? I see they only come in black, i got dark grey interior, how does it look.

schnier
02-27-2003, 18:14
I do not think it is running to hot solo 1200- 1300 on 85 HP floored, but if you plan to tow it is nice to see how high the EGT's are, going up the big hills. I believe you paint the piller pod to match your interior color when you buy it.

orange2
02-27-2003, 18:22
I hate painting stuff, Wish they came in the right color. Oh well, no big deal I guess. I got to get that muffler off or get exhaust to keep them temps down. I will need it when James sends me my HOT PREDATOR program. 115 sounds good to me!

mackin
02-27-2003, 19:51
orange2

There was a special going on where you could purchase a Painted Pod and Gauges in one clip....I forget the site...Hopefully someone will chime in......Try a search.....

MAC :D :D :D

sdaver
02-27-2003, 21:35
stacked 40pred/125juice seems fine no timing issues that I can tell........higher top end is nice.......will limp 5th easily.......a little throttle control to keep the boost around 25psi or less and no limp...........hey james, will my truck fit? :D dave

JrTuner
02-27-2003, 22:18
Sdaver, you have no 1500 rpm sag with your Predator. It really bothers me if no one else has this problem, should be lucky, it is annoying.

sdaver
02-27-2003, 22:46
I would not call it sag but maybee a delayed shift from third to fourth..........its like it just gets to the end of third and stays there and then it shifts.........Kennedy told me that he has experienced the same situation.....along with one or two others who posted on the first predator installled post...........power comes on later in the rpm than the juice.........until something comes out better Im goona stay with the 40/125 stack(limited by the tranny)this delay we are talking about is not there with the 40/90 or the 40/125............diablo is gonna have to address this........how timely ? who knows :D dave

hey mike f
defueling is a reduction in performance or a intentional loss of some of the gained performance of a chip or programmer to allow the allison to shift. :D dave

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: sdaver ]</p>

JrTuner
02-28-2003, 07:19
Mine is definetly a sag. This morning with the truck warmed up, I foot braked it while watching the data on the Predator. Progressively giving it more pedal, when I hit 1400 rpm on the screen the sound of the engine dips. It then requires an aggressive movement of the pedal to get it pat that rpm.

Rebel_Horseman
02-28-2003, 12:48
I read on the Diablo website that you're supposed ot be able ot reprogram shift points and correct for tire sizes. Can ya'll confirm that you can reprogram for tire and wheel changes?

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

JrTuner
02-28-2003, 12:57
None of those things are able to be adjusted as of yet. I am told that they are in the works. Right now all that can be adjusted is the speed limiter, 125 MPH is the maximum.

schnier
02-28-2003, 14:29
This product works very good for REV 1.02 .In the future after all the feed back, and revisions it will only get better. Other products out have had many revisions, so the only way to go is up. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.