PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter recommendations

DA_MAXX
06-12-2003, 13:30
I interested in a remote starter for my 03Chev/Duramax/Alli combo. Most are sold as accessories to car alarm systems. Is there a better unit/brand for diesel applications ?
Which do most prefer ? Do they allow for proper "wait to start" time ?

On a related question. How long do you warm the duramax up before driving ? Summer, winter ?

How long do you let it run to cool off ?

I'm a newbie to diesel rigs (3 months). Just want to make sure I take of this 40+k investiment.

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

Alli-max
06-12-2003, 19:36
I have this one... http://www.autopageusa.com/autopageusars750.htm

It has worked flawlessly. It has a nice feature where you can make it start all night long and run for selected times during cold weather. Somebody help me out with Jason's website.. I bought it from him.

As for warm up, in the summer I drive it. Winter when it is pretty cold, I let it sit there for 5 minutes or so.

Cool down. I am pretty good at this when it comes to long hauls. There is a button I hit on the remote start, I get out and it runs for an additional 10 minutes and turns off by itself. But, 5 minutes would sufice.

Riverholic
06-12-2003, 21:41
I have the Viper 550 ESP. I have had it for 1 1/2 years and have not had any problems. It won't start the truck until the 'wait to start' goes out. It also has the cool down feature, so when I get done with a big drive I press the buttons and it stays running for 10 minutes. Also during the winter it has the feature that starts it up every hour for 12 hours. I saw that viper has come out with a newer one that has an LCD remote so you can look at your remote and it will tell you once your truck has started.

DA_MAXX
06-12-2003, 22:02
Thanks for the feedback.
What is a long haul or big drive ? I normally drive about 40 miles each way to/from work. I normally let it cool off depending on water temp gauge. When above 185, I let cool to normal. Is this overkill ? This takes about 5 mins.

I would assume that all these precautions are to extend the life of the turbo and engine.

Thanks.

Spartus
06-12-2003, 23:46
I have the Viper 150 ESP, which is the same as the 550 ESP, except there is NO alarm... I like it. I have the start time set to 6 minutes which I feel is adequate.. The only thing I don't like about the Viper units is that on 2003 trucks, the Vipers take control of your door locks, entry/exit lamps etc... None of the stuff in the Databus on the steering wheel is used anymore.

You can also start your truck from over 1000ft away which is nice, and the remotes are comparable to OEM in quality.

-Tom

DMAX Daddy
06-13-2003, 00:05
Spartus,
Does the Viper disable the stereo and computer controls? Im not clear on you sterring wheel databus comment.

Thanks

c5dura
06-13-2003, 06:54
I went with the Crimestopper RS-999FM 2-way FM remote starter. It does NOT have an alarm and has worked flawlessly since I installed about 6 months ago. It also does the "wait to start", and will fire up the truck at present intervals when cold and does the idle down feature as well. Paid 150 bucks for it and did the install myself.

http://crimestopper.com/remotestart03.html

Alli-max
06-13-2003, 08:39
I consider a long haul over 100 miles. I CERTAINLY cool down after a 500+ mile jaunt though....