PDA

View Full Version : The last word on fuel filters? George and JK where are you?

NWDmax
11-23-2002, 17:42
The biggest concern I have right now on my truck is the "ineffective" fuel filter.
I've read all the posts regarding this subject and still no final filter solution.
Srubrn's install looks simple and clean and if there are no driveability issues why not do it his way?
It's bugging the crap out of me thinking of all the little abrasive particles chewing the guts out of my injectors.All the while the warranty clock is ticking.....
I'm a newbie to posting here but have been a "freebie reader" for about 6 months.Bought my truck about 4 months ago.15k and no problems.Just want to keep it that way! Blake smile.gif

srubrn
11-23-2002, 19:26
NWDmax,

So far there are no drivabilty problems. One thing to wait on is, the fuel analysis test from this unit. I am waiting on the kits from George now. I will post results as soon as I have them.

LanduytG
11-23-2002, 20:15
To show how dirty fuel can screw things up, I had to change the injectors in my 99 VW 1.9L TDI. It only had 55K miles on it and the spray patterns were not good. Each nozzle has 5 holes that it sprays from. At least 2 holes on each nozzles were spraying very wide streams and one hole was block intirely. I was talking to George about them and we both feel the dirty fuel I have caused the early replacement. i will be getting a good filter on this vehicle soon. The 95 6.5TD already has a 2 micron Racor on it, and its doing a great job. The injectors on the 6.5TD have 53K miles on them and I am going to pull them soon and look them because it burns the same fuel the VW does.
Greg

MaxACL
11-23-2002, 22:16
I'm still concerned about sending clean (Racor filtered) fuel into the existing GM filter. If it's contaminating clean fuel then it needs to be isolated... doesn't it?

Srubrn, I like the bracket you made and would like to get me one. I'd try to make me one but I have too many thumbs. If you plan to make others, please add my name to the list and let me know what the dammages are. What ever the price, I'm sure it'd be worth it.

Greg, I've read somewhere that the injectors on Yellow VWs only got 55K. something in the pigmentation. Think about it!

Mike ;)

NWDmax
11-23-2002, 23:10
Its still hard for me to believe the stock filter is contaminating the fuel.
If it is then testing both after Racor and after the stock filter should tell the tale.
If more and larger particles are found after the stock filter with the Racor installed then we are picking up debris from the filter or some other part of the fuel system.
This is assuming you installed a new stock filter at the beginning of the test.
I'm just looking for an easy,quick and relatively cheap way to solve our collective problem.
Srubrn,I'm looking forward to your results.
Landuytg,I'll keep watching for yours too.
Maxacl,as soon as the results get back and I'm convinced that Srubrn's filter is the ticket(I'm counting on it)I'll be making a bracket like his.
I'll build 2 and send you one if you want.I have a buddy that runs a steel supply house so the scrap is free.I'd only tag you for the freight.
Just let me know. Blake :cool: :cool:

george morrison
11-23-2002, 23:26
The fuel filter study is on-going, so have paience; a fix will no doubt be forthcoming within the next 30 to 60 days by someone on the site, certainly. Several excellent potentials are in process as I write...
George Morrison

MaxACL
11-23-2002, 23:36
NWDmax, Blake, Thanks. My email follows. I just came in from the Pacific and Europe. Would your wife, girlfriend want a fine silk scarf? (A gift)?

Mike

(Drop the -) Mike-the-boo-@-hotmail.com

srubrn
11-24-2002, 03:33
Maxacl,

Better go with NWDmax on the bracket. I didn't make the one I have and didn't have plans to make any more. I just engineered it and had a welding shop make it out of scrap. Cost me $25. If I made them myself, then I would be happy to do it.

Kennedy
11-24-2002, 10:25
I should have a mount fabricated this weekend if all goes well. Without going into details I will say that it will be mounted AFTER the factory unit, and will be easily reversible.

A couple of things to look at:

When we change the factory element, we prime the filter, but the only place fuel is drawn is up the center spigot. This spigot extends down inside the filter. So how does the air get out from the "dirty" side chamber? :confused: This may explain why some filters are showing only 50-60% surface area useage...

The larger (greater surface area) the element, the easier the flow and better filtration. There will likely be a large unit and a more compact unit available.

There are also a couple of other deficiencies in the factory system that will be adressed as well, but in reality, we really need to test the finished product to validate the results.

NWDmax
11-24-2002, 10:58
Well I'll just wait for the test results and go from there :confused:

I guess 1 or 2 months won't kill it(I hope).

Thanks for the work George,John and Srubrn.

Mike,my offer stands once we know which method we end up with.

My e mail is mountainmax62@msn.com.
Blake

LanduytG
11-24-2002, 11:44
MaxACL
When are you coming through again? I have a bracket for you to try out.
Greg

Maverick
11-24-2002, 16:18
If someone wants to send me a filter and bracket, I'll test it for you. Alaska has the worst diesel fuel in all 50 states. If it can clean up my fuel, it will have no problem anywhere else.

KompressorMan
11-24-2002, 16:39
I'm living proof that there is a problem with the fuel system. Back in July, I had my truck in the stealer's shop for about 3 weeks arguing on whether or not fuel injectors are covered under warranty. The dirt I saw accumulated didn't go through the filter. It looked more like rust. Anyhow, I just checked Fleetguards site (A division of Cummings) and found they have a replacement for the OEM filter element, part no.FF5501. After we use up the Racor stock we have on hand, I plan to switch. We've never had anything but great results with Fleetguard.
Herb

srubrn
11-24-2002, 17:16
Kompressorman,

Got some bad news for you. Guess who makes that Fleetguard filter for them? You guessed it, Racor?

KompressorMan
11-24-2002, 17:24
Hey, srubrn
Dang, And you're sure about that?
Herb :confused:

srubrn
11-24-2002, 18:43
Can't remember where, but it seems like it was on the fleetguard site. The OEM your talking about has the same part number as the racor. I think something like IN 4598. I wouldn't bet my son's life on it, but I am almost positive.

MaxACL
11-24-2002, 19:27
Blake, I'll get an email off to you tonight.

Greg, I plan on passing through IN before long. The more I think about it, the more I wish I'd gotten that dual bypass filter last time.

Mike

Idle_Chatter
11-25-2002, 08:40
JK - on the priming and air in the can issue, I don't think that happens. The center probe doesn't extend too much farther down than the center rubber bushing. Also, the inlet to the filer flows all the fuel onto a plastic "pan" that then only inlets to the outside of the can through two sets of holes 180 degrees apart. I can see the dark smear on my filter element that corresponds to the fuel flow from those holes. I personally feel that priming pulls the OEM filter housing full of fuel and that perhaps the bottom up discoloration is a result of the major flow through the element, but doubt that there is any air bubble formed or maintained in the filter.

Kennedy
11-25-2002, 09:34
But how does the air get removed from the "plastic pan" or any point above the suction tube? I suppose it would bubble and foam a bit???

Kinda like the inline clear gas filters that always had a pocket of air in them when mounted horizontally...

Idle_Chatter
11-25-2002, 11:54
You have a good thought process about the potential. The only way to be sure would to have a clear-cased filter housing to be sure. I think that the inlet "pan" or plenum is the highest point and any air would either rise or be captured there. The system seems to handle large gulps of air somehow. I was concerned about how much air got into my fuel lines when I cut and effectively drained them to install my 6-way valve for the aux tank. Not a problem. I didn't even prime the filter and the engine started and ran without incident when the plumbing was over. I also know that my fuel line from the aux tank in the bed from the dry pickup tube all the way down to the 6-way valve was empty on the first fill and I swapped tanks the first time without a stutter. I also think the filter can is full by the amount of pumping and "feel" of fuel filling the filter after changing the cartridge. Seems like it fills up and then vents fuel. But just a perception, no hard evidence to support it. Perhaps there's a "high point" on the common rail or injectors that rejects air to the fuel return line? I don't know, but it seems to work that way.

Kennedy
11-25-2002, 12:28
Looking at the addition of a secondary filter dictates that we need to be able to bleed it when serviced. At the very least on the fill side. If we mount the secondary lower than the primary, it should bleed air back to the factory bleeder. I think the hand pump can circulate most of the air out, just not out of the "dirty side" of the factory housing.

I think that when all is said/done there will be some surprising revelations about the factory supply side system...

millietom
11-26-2002, 10:30
I see on another post that you can get performance injectors for $1200 so I am going to quit worrying about fuel filters and if the injectors are shot after the warranty is off I should be able to get a set of after market injectors installed for less than $1500. Cheaper than a new truck so I can look forward to running my truck for at least 200,000 like I have with my last two GM Diesels.

Tom

srubrn
11-26-2002, 15:57
millietom,

A $90 filter is still cheaper than $1500 injectors. I tell you what, you give me $1500 now and if your truck makes it to 200k without needing injectors I will give it back. If it doesn't, I keep it and send you a filter for the new injectors your going to buy.

My $90 filter is working fine, just waiting on fuel analysis.

Kennedy
11-26-2002, 16:03
AND HOW!!!! Not to mention the fact that when a component like an injector fails, it is not like a light switch, rather a progressive degradation...