PDA

View Full Version : Backfire?

Lone Eagle
06-14-2003, 19:45
Just got back from a trip up to Stanley, Idaho towing my fifthwheel. Several times a heard a muffled pop, bang etc. that sounded like it was in the exhaust system. On one ocassion while starting up a steep low speed hill it poped several times a blew out lot of white smoke. It felt like I was out of power or the trans didn't shift down far enough. I put it in first and it ran fine for quite awhile then popped a couple more times. It ran fine up and over the mountain at 30 miles per hour. Later that day it popped once running solo at 60 MPH. It has been fine since and ran as usual up some long grades today.
I changed both filters 5K ago. Any ideas? Later! Lone Eagle

afp
06-14-2003, 20:54
I do not know if a diesel can backfire. however, what you have described is almost exactly the symptoms we hear/see when a jet engine has a compressor stall. Maybe you have a turbo stall?

Blaine

Lone Eagle
06-15-2003, 13:32
I guess I should have titled my question: Backfired through the fuel filter? I would have a lot of help by now. Later! Lone Eagle :D

mackin
06-15-2003, 15:11
Originally posted by Lone Eagle:
I guess I should have titled my question: Backfired through the fuel filter? I would have a lot of help by now. Later! Lone Eagle :D BWWAAAAAA !!!!

Prolly an Injector problem,dirty fuel ;) ....White smoke is unburned fuel .... Perhaps a injector balance check will sort out the problem for you .....Have any access to a Predator or Tech II ???

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Lone Eagle
06-15-2003, 18:58
Thanks mackin. I knew that would get a reply. I will call my dealer for the balance test. It only does it once in a great while. In fact I got two high mileage fill ups right after the cloud of smoke. Later! Lone Eagle :rolleyes:

pinehill
06-16-2003, 00:02
You just might be passing gas. :eek:

Lone Eagle
06-16-2003, 16:37
pinehill, I thought about that but I have never had any air at the bleeder. I checked it when I got home just to touch all the bases. It had a vacuum on it after sitting all night. I went in and talked to the Tech this morning. He said if an injector missfires several times it will bring on SES light. Don't know if this is true but I have decided to run it for awhile. It could have been a shot of bad fuel. I had to fuel up twice in Stanley which is 140 miles out in the boon docks. I added fuel treatment when I got to Boise and drove another 300 miles up some good grades without another hecup. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

HoustonDMax
06-17-2003, 05:58
Was it raining? If so, the following may apply. If not, good luck as I have not heard of anyone having this problem caused by Juice in non-rain conditions.

Your description matches one of the "episodes" I have experienced using Juice in light rain. Edge say they are still trying to track down the exact cause and come up with a solution. :(

You could do a search and find many threads discussing this over the last year or so.

Lone Eagle
06-18-2003, 20:27
Houston, It was raining prety good and about 55 degrees. Later! Lone Eagle

Kennedy
06-18-2003, 20:32
And yes it COULD be fuel (filter) supply system related.

More to follow in the coming weeks...