PDA

View Full Version : Urge to surge

TomEichenberger
05-10-2004, 04:45
Good news, bad news?
The good news is that she runs great, getting 22mpg on the road loaded with ~1/4 ton of tools. Bad news? At ~35 mph under moderate load, maintaining the throttle position, she starts to surge, almost as if she's hunting for the next gear( Surge, fall back, surge, fall back...). When I futzed with the TPS unit the other month, she would do the same thing, only at a higher speed/rpm (~45mph). Is this the nature of a NA 6.2 with a 700R4, or an early indicator of an injection pump failure. I can live with it, but I would hate to be stuck out in the boonies with all my tools sitting in the back of the burb.

Thanks

britannic
05-10-2004, 05:49
If fiddling with the TPS changed the behavior, you may want to look at the TCC lockup. Definitely check for air leaks on the fuel supply side of the lift pump and also confirm that you have an operational CDR valve.

catmandoo
05-10-2004, 18:09
as brittanic said check the trans lockup drop down a gear and see if it does it.also i had a surge off and on and it would surge hard turning left and laydown turning right so figured somethings floating around in there somewhere so i changed the filter and it cured it.if you let it set and idle for awhile will it surge when you takeoff?thats how mine started.

TomEichenberger
05-25-2004, 13:35
More good news/bad news;
It appears that there is an intermittant "problem" causing the torque convertor on the ol' 700r4 to momentarily engage/disengage (Thanks Britannic/Catmandoo, you guys nailed it.)My trans. guy "bypassed" all the lock-up sensors(TPS, speed etc.) so that it automatically locks up in second gear. The handwriting appears to be on the wall for this tannie ( 3rd gear is slipping, so how much time/money do I spend diagnosing a transmission that is "soon" to fail? Question;

1.-I need to buy some time.Short of parking it, is there any thing else I can do to extend the life of the trannie(any trannie additives out there that work ;parts guy recommends Lucas).

2.-Any one familiar with Transmission Technologies out of Licolnton, NC. They go by jimmywholesell on E-bay. They sell a "Superduty 4x4 towing 700r4" for cheap(relatively speaking).

Thanks

catmandoo
05-25-2004, 17:07
it will hurt your milage some but unhook the connector on the side of the trans so it doesn't kick in,