PDA

View Full Version : Injector life

rcarbs
06-15-2003, 09:05
I have read many posts on aftermarket fuel filtering systems and how much easier clean fuel is on the injectors. My question is how many have had injector failures with only the factory filtering system compared to those who have experienced failure with additional filtering? Do we have any hard data on this? Is this whole secondary fuel filtering mania a neat thing to do for those so inclined or is it necessary to ensure trouble free driving for many thousands of miles? I have always taken excellent care of my gassers and this being my 1st diesel I want to do the right thing.

thx....

Victory Red
06-15-2003, 09:48
Well from postings I've read, yeah it can scare the hell out of you thinking about those $500 a pop replacement injectors. Of course most of us wouldn't see failure until after the end of the warranty period.

Anyhow the 'hard data' as you requested. Well several people have tested the before/after ISO ratings of our fuel. The factory does a good job, but not good enough. Kennedy diesel has an example of fuel cleanliness levels on his site, including from the pump, factory filter and his secondary setup. Worth a quick look for an example.

Brokers who has several diesel pickups runs his own setups. I believe his highest mileage was over 400k, with only one reported injector replacement.

As for everyone else, well no one here has put on enough miles yet(only a 3 yr old motor) to see the added benefits for a true pro vs con arguement.

The one benefit that has been pretty consistent is that most people that have gone to a secondary have seen a fuel mileage increase of 1+ mpg. Time will tell with injector.

In my case the added fuel mileage possibility(still on my first tank), it'll quickly pay for itself in that regard.

As for injector life, well time will tell.

The real question is, for $150+(depending on kit) a few hours of your time, is it worth the investment? Well it sure as heck can't hurt!!!

pinehill
06-15-2003, 10:09
rcarbs,

Welcome to the forum.

While there are varied opinions on how best to accomplish additional filtering, there is no one here who has disputed the need (well, maybe just a Trace of dissent). Several fuel and lubricants gurus have cited data that indicates that both injectors and pumps will live much longer with cleaner fuel, and that the DMax OEM fuel filter is NOT adequate in removing damaging particulates. The concern here is driven by the fact that replacement of a single injector (out of warranty) can cost you $1,500 or more.

A member here (Brokers) who runs DMaxes and other diesels commercially, and who has run them for more than 300,000 miles has had excellent pump/injector life. He has TWO additional fuel filters installed on each of his trucks. Others here have seen injector failures in as little as 20,000 miles. Injector/pump life without supplementary fuel filtration probably depends a great deal on the cleanliness of the fuel provided by your supplier, and this has been shown to vary greatly.

[ 06-15-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: pinehill ]