PDA

View Full Version : Turbo choice help needed

Ratau
05-11-2004, 06:24
Brittanic

If I want local backup the only way to go for a turbo is Garrett. Holset and MHI were never used in South Africa.

Could you help with housing A/R values and wheel sizes to build a Garrett locally for my stock 6.2?

I just bought two 6.5 heads (cast # 10137567) with GM turbo manifolds.

What difference is there in valve size between these heads and the 82 heads?

Dieselboy helped a lot thanks!!!!

Danie

Dieselboy
05-11-2004, 07:58
I'm glad to help!

Prior to the forum meltdown, :( there was a thread about valve sizes in the older heads. And though I can't recall all the specific data, I remember the jist of it being that the difference between the valve sizes was marginal, and a) would not increase performance substantially b) whatever performance increase did occur was not worth the loss of material between the valve seats which lead to increased cracking and c) was generally an enormous PITA.

Your new 6.5L heads should bolt up without any modifications to the valve train, but going with a new set of lifters and pushrods might be a good "while you've got it apart" maintenance idea.

Be sure that you have the stamped rocker versus the old style cast rockers. The stamped rockers are much more ductile, and therefore have much higher impact resistance.

Here's the fate of one set of cast rockers.
http://www.oliverdiesel.com/reference/pdr_1164.jpg

[ 05-11-2004, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Dieselboy ]

grape
05-11-2004, 10:19
My '82 heads have .100" bigger exhaust valves than my late model turbo heads. Intake valve sizes are the same.

britannic
05-11-2004, 17:09
You can get Holset's from the UK, in fact they're manufactured there as well - may be a good source for you?

This website may help you, turbo selection is more an art than science and YMMV - check this out: Turbo Calculator (http://www.turbofast.com.au/TFmatch.html).

Originally posted by Ratau:
Britannic

If I want local backup the only way to go for a turbo is Garrett. Holset and MHI were never used in South Africa.

Could you help with housing A/R values and wheel sizes to build a Garrett locally for my stock 6.2?

I just bought two 6.5 heads (cast # 10137567) with GM turbo manifolds.

What difference is there in valve size between these heads and the 82 heads?

Dieselboy helped a lot thanks!!!!

Danie

grape
05-11-2004, 18:38
that calculator is based on the newer GT based inlet wheels. It's kind of misleading.......there are compressors that move more air at less boost pressures. It pulls from a very limited data base.....only the GT stuff from Garret. 12 pounds of boost on a banks wheel is different than 12 pounds on T04b with a V trim wheel.

Ratau
05-12-2004, 06:00
I looked at the turbo calculator true what grape said.

Any housing and wheel guidelines to build a turbo?

Holset can't help :mad:

Thank you for your enquiry, however I have spoken to our engineers and they are unable to help regarding the GM engine.

Kind regards

Jodie Stephenson
WW Marketing Communications Leader
Holset Turbochargers
t: + 44 1484 232458
f: + 44 1484 543780
m: + 44 771 8517271
www.holset.com (http://www.holset.com)

britannic
05-12-2004, 14:35
I was thinking you could get ahold of a cheap 5.9L Cummins turbo and either set the wastegate to open around 12-14psi or get a different compressor wheel trim to control max boost and set the wastegate to the same values.

I see a lot of Holsets on eBay and I have one I'll be selling soon from my own Cummins, it's only got 40,000 miles on it.

Ratau
05-13-2004, 23:10
Britannic / David

I visited a company who recondition turbo's. Although the TE06H were never used here there are lots off other Mitsubishi turbo's around, he said he could build a Mitsubishi turbo close to the TE06H if I could give him the exhaust and compressor housing A/R or square cm value. Could you also give me the inlet and outlet diameters off the housings.

There are Holset HX35W turbo's around but very expensive and almost no spares.

Do you know the cylinder head casting numbers I mentioned?

Danie

grape
05-14-2004, 04:21
the hx 35's don't like anything under a 2.2 or 2.3 pressure ratio.......in other words they surge under 15-16 pounds. They are extrememly ineficient at boost levels under that. To get them to move any air you have to spin the crap out of them.

britannic
05-14-2004, 06:42
Hence my suggestion to change out the wheels. Another thought is to go with a 1st gen. Dodge CTD, they used much lower boost levels, but their turbine housings were so big (18cm-21cm3) that they had a lot of lag.

Originally posted by grape:
the hx 35's don't like anything under a 2.2 or 2.3 pressure ratio.......in other words they surge under 15-16 pounds. They are extrememly ineficient at boost levels under that. To get them to move any air you have to spin the crap out of them.

[ 05-14-2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

Dieselboy
05-14-2004, 08:32
Originally posted by Ratau:
...Could you also give me the inlet and outlet diameters off the housings...3" compressor inlet
2.25" compressor outlet

britannic
05-14-2004, 21:54
Slightly under 3" on the exhaust turbine outlet, if memory serves.

JeepSJ
05-16-2004, 12:20
Originally posted by britannic:
Slightly under 3" on the exhaust turbine outlet, if memory serves. You are correct - just under 3" ID.

Ratau
05-16-2004, 21:24
Everything starts to fall into place now.
Thanks guys.
Danie