PDA

View Full Version : With the juice what power level does everybody tow in?

jfile
11-25-2002, 10:36
With the juice what power level does everybody tow in?

Tractorhauler
11-25-2002, 11:54
I tow/haul juice in 2 with any where from 8K with my 5ver to 20K with my GN tandem dually.
Works much better than before juice, less downshifting definately more get up and go.

Mark

Oongawah
11-25-2002, 11:58
Same here, L2. The other levels are too hot, and would really toll on the Alli let alone the EGT's. Hope this helps, Chuck.

wangotango
11-25-2002, 21:34
T-hauler and Oongawah:

If a guy was merely concerned with towing power, why not get a "mod" that does only that?

I know it would be cool to blow the doors off of anything out there but for me it's just towing power, getting all my gear down the road efficiently as possible. Don't want to have any long-term issues with stuff blowin' up. Just a bit more when I need it.

If the power available from the Juice is good at level 2 (of 4 levels?) then is there a component out there that does that much without having to pay for something that I really don't need?

Would love to tow with an additional power pack of some sort but not willing to completely Juice my rig.

Jeez, I feel like such a geek as I search for the mediocre.

Thanks.

w/t

maxtotow
11-25-2002, 22:25
wangotango
I am with you completely on this idea. Our truck is a daily driver, the only vechicle, for my wife.
There is plenty of go power for her on local errands. There also seems to be plenty for non-towing hiway use.
I would like just a little bit more when towing and would not want to have any "little signs" left around if warranty work is needed. And i certainly don't want any drivability issues when my wife drives it more than I.

SoMnDMAX
11-26-2002, 01:11
#4, pulling an 8k car trailer. Hills, flat ground, accellerating, wind, et cetera, max EGT of 1400 pre turbo. That's when I'm driving really stupid.

If you watch your foot, EGT's are EASY to manage in #4. Use as little throttle as necessary to keep it from slowing down. Of course, mountain passes and the like will make EGT management more difficult. Not much for mountain passes here in Minnesota to test on...

But, as far as I'm concerned, EGT's aren't a problem. Big exhaust and the swiss cheesed airbox help a bunch to lower the EGT's.

JEBar
11-26-2002, 04:34
regular level 4 and tow/haul level 2 .... not a hot rodder but really like the way she runs in both .... Jim

stretch
11-26-2002, 04:52
wangotango and maxtotow,

I respect your quest for the "mediocre" and yes I do think you're a geek for it ;) (just kidding).
My take on it is this - You run the juice box at the level you need. No one is forcing you to use level 4. There really aren't any drivability issues, just increased power. Warrenty problems I feel is a non-issue due to the fact that the box can be completely removed in minutes leaving the engine compartment without a trace. With what you guys want, the "hot" version of the juice would be silly for you but the standard version is the way to go for towing. I'm guessing that $$$ is another reason for the "mediocre" quest but having a box with a lower output doesn't necessarily constitute a cheaper price. These boxes probably cost very little to produce but what we are actually paying for is somebodys knowledge, research and continuing development. smile.gif

[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: stretch ]</p>

Kennedy
11-26-2002, 08:21
It's not so much the level in which you tow, but how you use it. I'll tow in level 4 with the Hot juice, BUT I have a very fast responding probe, and the programmable warning light on my SPA digital gauge.

That said, on a healthy running Dmax with a mediocre (12k) load, it seems that there is plenty of pedal left. The problem comes on a hill if you are forced to drop from OD and on cruise control. The cruise does everything that it can to regain/maintain set speed, and often a gentler foot can maintain the same pace or acceleration with less EGT and strain.

I don't recommend towing in the upper levels, but do recommend getting a feeling for the EGT YOUR truck creates with YOUR gauge/probe combo, and then when it starts to work hard, you will know what to watch for.

Southard
11-26-2002, 22:01
I have been running lever 4 for a few months now with no problems. I am pulling a large 32' 5th wheel most of the time and a flatbed loaded with construction equipment at other times. I am grossing a little over 28K with the flatbed. The egt's are almost never a problem but as was mentioned earlier, if the tranny downshifts to 4th with the cruise on, you need to pay close attention to them. I measure egt post turbo and I get to 900 degrees and stay there pretty often. When a downshift occurs I have seen 1000 degrees and slowly climbing. I kick the cruise off at that point. The higher the level that you run with the juice, the less downshifting that you will have.