PDA

View Full Version : Propane Injection --Done!

Thermal Jock
05-12-2004, 08:27
I gave up on propane months ago, but found an unused "injection kit" at a garage sale. Apparenntly made from Powerful Solutions, It wasn't much: a 5-35 psi regulator, a roll of 250 psi hose, an electric selenoid valve, a bunch of switches, and 2 big hypodermic needles or "injectors". It took 2 days to mount a tank under the Burbie and install the system (I'm slow). Had 2 make a number of brackets and the propane tank I'm using has to come out for refill so the clamps and brackets for that were complicated. Overall cost for the tank and kit were $200.
The selenoid is open when all are true: the key is on, the switch is on, and the gas pedal is depressed.
I'm running an .063 needle into the intake at 17 psi.
After the first tank of fuel, I've used about 4-5 gallons of propane. My driving styles and terrain have varied, but it looks like I got an increase from 16 mpg to 17.4 mpg so far. Alot of that was on rough roads, backcountry miles. I wasn't using the propane alot of the time, like around town and 4 wheelin.
I've gotten a definite increase in power. Pulling hills I have to watch the EGT's as usual, But I'm running 5-10 mph faster and not gearing down! Down the highway, she cruises at 65-70 with EGT's at about 600 when they used to be at 700. Passing power feels like I've got about 1/2 gear of extra power! So far I'm impressed! I think I'm gonna turn it down to 15 psi to see if I get better economy.
The math is prettty simple-- used 4-5 gallons propane at $1.30 to save 4-5 gallons diesel at $1.90. Will update as I change up/down on the psi and try to get best fuel mileage. Back to lurking... read all your posts!

Craig M
05-12-2004, 12:37
Good job Thermal Jock. You have mileage and costs. Banks trys to say propane is not good by stating you do not know what it is costing you. You have showed exactly what the impact is by adding the propane cost to the diesel cost, before and after the propane.

Nice job.

shamanie
05-12-2004, 21:42
Awesome......