PDA

View Full Version : Duramax vs. 5.3L Z71

Duramaxerado
03-01-2003, 14:38
Today I went to my dealer to chat with them hoping they could give me a date when my truck would be in.. Looks like another 10 days and its gonna be here.

I told him I was jonsing for it so he said here, take one of the truck out on the lot out for a couple hours this afternoon and enjoy it.

He tossed me the keys to a white cc sb 4x4 2500 hd LT similar to the one i am getting and told me to get a reciept for fuel if it needed any.. Off I went.

Just as I pulled off the lot, a salesman pulled out the same time in a new Z71. We got side by side at a light together about 3 miles down the road and we were the only ones there both grining from ear to ear.. The max was warmed up as it sat and idled for about 10 min at the dealer as they were looking for a plate to put on the truck.

light goes green and we both punched it :D

I got him for the first 30-40 feet and then we ran side by side for a second or two and the Z-71 then left me. :( At that time I felt this tremendous guilt roll through my body and i felt like I wanted to cry.. I couldn't believe it.. I got smoked by a 5.3 gassser.. Is this normal??

At 60 mph i floored it and it would not downshift at all.. It just pulled in 5th.

Man I am going to need A LOT more power and acceleration out of my truck. Whats up with that?? :confused:

NWDmax
03-01-2003, 15:27
Get the Hot juice It has "all the power you'll ever need"!
Blake :D

afp
03-01-2003, 16:14
I hhave had both. First an 01 5.3 Z-71 ext cab SB, then my current 02 D/A. Before I put Juice on my truck, I would have guessed they were about equal. I expected the gasser to beat it off the line--and I still expect that if both guys launch at the same time, but the DMax to catch up in top end. I think a DMax would need to have at least 10,000 miles on it before it would run with the 5.3. After that, stock vs stock, it would be cloase depanding on weight and driver technique. Of course, a Juiced DMax will destroy a 5.3, unless it's a blown 5.3..On top of that, my Juiced DMax gets better mileage than my 5.3, empty or loaded.

Blaine

Blaine

srubrn
03-01-2003, 16:29
Do the same race with 10k of trailer and try it. The gasser might not even leave the line!!!

orange2
03-01-2003, 17:08
Gixx, I hadd a 5.3 and it had the 4.10's and it was reall quick, I think it out run any duramax. Gotta remember it would be 1000lbs less in weight. I didn't think it ever ran that good till I raced some trucks with 3.73's and handed them their azzes real easily. Posted for you over at the dark side, by now you have seen what I got started,it was so boring over here I had to stir the pot alittle. :D

Duramaxerado
03-01-2003, 19:25
I need some hot sauce, some gauges, and a pipe!!! :mad: :mad:

orange2
03-01-2003, 19:30
Crack pipe? :eek: If I were you I think I would get the tst or hot juice to start with. I think they have a better low end than my predator has which would benefit the auto. TST has them gauges built right in, which is cool. I got 8000 for my sled so I think I may have to purchase one just to play with. I better be ready for my clutch to take a sh t on me the way it sounds from some guys.

Duramaxerado
03-01-2003, 19:56
Orange, How do you like that TST?

Was the first drive like "OH HELL YEA" ??

orange2
03-01-2003, 20:21
I don't have the tst yet but from the dyno sheets on there web site it looks to be the real deal. 9hp levels and 9 tq levels that you can set. I got the predator and some guys don't feel it has the tq down low of the juice, feels good up top and supposedly a 115hp version is in th eworks. More low end would be nice for my 6 gear but I just rev it higher and dump the clutch, built in highstall. What is nice about the predator is its not seen at all, so in the case that you broke down you wouldn't have to worry about hiding anything. Not that that is a big deal though. I will say getting rubbber in 3rd was a nice surprize. Plus it smokes until it gets some boost.

Duramaxerado
03-01-2003, 20:31
high stall.. :D

Man decisions decisions...

I think I want the hot J but i dont want bugz.. took me 3 years of messing with busas to get bugs figured out and I dont want that with a new truck.

the thing about the hot is that I cant just buy the module alone.. I gotta buy gauges and an exhaust system as well and thats a pretty big hit (2 grand) on top of doing minor things like filter and airbox mods.

Motorhead is going to help me tweak the wastegate next month on my truck for some added boost so that should be cool.. :D

I'll be at his shop either on the last weekend of march or the first wekend of april. Would be cool if you could make it.

Thing I didn't like about the max i drove today was at 60 mph if you stomped it it just pulled in 5th.. Would not downshift.

I wonder if the hot juice will change this any??

I also wonder if the hot juice picks the rev limiter up any?

Duramaxerado
03-01-2003, 20:32
What kills me even more is seeing these 1-1.5 yr old trucks selling for 25-30 grand!!!! :mad:

I gotta stop reading for sale threads and classified adds.. :mad: :mad:

orange2
03-01-2003, 21:39
That tst box has gauges built in for 850 smack. Tst is also working on the speed limiter. I don't believe hot juice raises any limiter and I don't know about the shifting. I think with the allisons ability to learn that could change if you drive aggressively. Most people who towed with them complained they downshifted to easily so a change was made in 02? I think. If I were you I would get a Predator to try, you have 15 days to return it, that will give you an idea of what will be enuff for you. I wouldn't sweat truck prices too much, you got a hell of a deal plus you got the EXACT truck you want to be broke in and driven how you want.

Oongawah
03-01-2003, 23:26
Hot sauce doesn't change the limiter. However, with the torque as high as it is, I try not to have mine downshift because it's faster with the torque than horses in lower gear. It's amazing to feel like you're taking off from a stop when you're doing 80. The first time I drove mine with the regular juice on L4 I felt like I was riding on the hood(really, really). Also, on that new truck you drove, the tranny probably wasn't trained yet. They get tons better with a couple hundred miles of sturn driving. Hope this helps, Chuck.

Oongawah
03-01-2003, 23:28
Oh yeah, and I have the 5.3, and Max both. No Comparison. The Yukon is our softy.

Duramaxerado
03-01-2003, 23:38
Oongawa, you tow both trailers at the same time??? DANG!!

How do you like your juice set up? Did it make the truck feel like a completely different beast?

Have you had any problems with yours so far??

I take it that your max will walk by the tahoe all day long..

thanks for the reply bro..

btw, who did you get your hot sauce from? Do you know who has the absolute best prices on it? Thanks brother!

Chris

Duramaxerado
03-01-2003, 23:40
The most I will ever tow is a 16 - 20 foot enclosed motorcycle trailer with 4 bikes max. a 21 foot chaparral boat, 23 foot cabin cruiser, or a car here and there.. I know I have a 100 mile tow comming up to help my buddy get his blown stroker mustang to his tuner next month..

90% of the mileso n my max will be unloaded around town and stuff. The little use it will get towing will hardly make it even work I imagine..

Cajun W/Duramax
03-02-2003, 10:50
Duramaxerado I agree with these guys, get some juice! I've had mine for about three weeks and you won't believe the difference it makes! I don't know if I'd say it'll run like a big block but it's dang close to it. It's so sensitive at around 70 (guess because your at opt. rpms) it's almost hard to keep it at 70 mph. I love passing another vehicle on a two lane, you stomp it, it jumps down and here we go hold on and try to keep it straight, when it jumps into 5th usually around 75 it pins you back in your seat. Then from there to 95 is kind of a blur. I have a buddy that just bought a z71 with the 5.3 and I promise you he can't touch it.

I bought a 36 ft. fifth wheel camper over the summer in Al. pulled it home about 500 mi. we pulled it 80 & 85 no problem. We had a few really big hills drop us down to 60 but dropped about 5-10 on most big ones. This is before the juice. Average mpg was around 10. Haven't pulled it since I got the juice but I'm told it will be better, I know it is not pulling anything. :D

Nixter
03-02-2003, 22:32
I would never expect my stock d-max to outrun a 5.3. My 97 Toyota Tacoma 3.4 V6 will run circles around it. Diesels are just not inherently quick vehicles. I'm thinking about adding juice in the future, but with or without it the truck is great. It will be one heck of a toy puller--Nick

bearman
03-02-2003, 22:38
Duramaxerado
Check my sig for what I pull :D :D
Cheers
Bear

Billy14
03-03-2003, 01:25
To All,

Running Hot Juice 4.61...level 4 normal, level 2 tow/haul.

After being HIGHLY provoked at 3 lights by 3 considerably younger dudes in a 5.0 Stang (obviously camed, headers & manual tranny) I finally gave in to temptation.

Light turned green & Oh Well! 0 - 60 or so & had him by 5 truck lengths. He turned off at the next street.

By the way. This was before I upgraded to the HOT JUICE!

I also pull a small dozer & gooseneck (16,000 lbs.) up long 7% grades in the TX Hill Country. Never dropped below 60 in tow/haul level 2. I probably shouldn't admit this but no pyro installed. I know Mackin, I know. :rolleyes:

The Secret: After 500 miles, run the livin H out of them. :eek: :eek: :D I am aware my truck may be a little stronger than others. My dyno results posted recently were contested by many but, back in my younger days I recall a friend with a 396 SS Chevelle completely stock that would chew up 427 Vettes any time, without looking back. Call it the day of the week, time of day, or just down right lucky. Some just come off the line stronger than others. I got lucky!

:D :D

Billy

Oongawah
03-03-2003, 01:30
Duramaxerado,

The Juice rocks. Call John Kennedy, he's very competitive, and hard core helpful. I pulled a 3,200 lb car on a trailer last week. I pulled the front of the car all the way forward on the trailer which created about 700lb tongue weight. I called ahead to my friend I was meating for lunch to make sure there was space for me to park at his shop. He says "No problem", so I round the corner to park and it just didn't feel right. The back of the trailer was about a foot in the alley. I get ticked and take off perty hard(not mashed) to have a go at another spot. When I come around the corner from going all the way around the block I notice people from both sides of the street standing outside looking down the street in both directions. My friend runs up to me and asks if I drive like that all the time. I was like what? He just shook his head. As we walked up to his shop I noticed two 30' black strips in the street. I was like, "Did I do that?-hehe". This truck rocks man.

Carli_max
03-03-2003, 08:33
Duramaxarado,
I honestly believe that if you had brought up the boost level by preloading at the light you would have beat him. Maybe a 4x4 preload launch would have been even better! Without the turbo working for you off the line, its tough to get that mass rolling! With regular Juice you would of crushed him, Hot Juice you would have destroyed him!!

Brad Pelot
03-03-2003, 09:45
I have had two 5.3s, one in the ol ladies yukon, and one in a half ton. And two duramaxes, one 01 x-cab and an 03 cc. The duramaxes won each time. Pulling away as speed increases. But the 5.3s are very quick, and will give a stocker a good run. Put the juice on and its not even close.