PDA

View Full Version : second fuel filter & warranty

Bullseye54
06-16-2003, 07:51
I've been reading everything I can on here about a second fuel filter.I'm about ready to go for a pre-oem,but I was wondering about issues with the warranty.I mentioned it to the service mnger when I picked my truck up last week.He said GM takes a dim view of people changing their systems,but he didn't say yes or no.Has anyone had a problem with warranty after install?

56Nomad
06-16-2003, 09:37
Cleaner Fuel-Racor 600 Series
By Ritchie Hays
found in the TDP Feature Articles:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/ritchiehays.htm

Editor's note: When installed correctly, a second fuel filter should
not affect your vehicle warranty. However, to prevent any warranty
complications, we recommend discussing your plans with your dealer's
service manager prior to installation. As of February 15, 2003, we had
heard that most dealers did not have any concern about a customer
installed Racor fuel filter assembly. We had also heard from at least one
truck owner who's dealer did object to a second fuel filter. Secondarily,
for those living in cold climates, installing a Racor fuel filter assembly
with an integral fuel heater would help to prevent gelled fuel from
clogging the Racor fuel filter and causing the engine to stall. When I installed my Racor, I checked with my
two local dealers (service dept.) and both gave
me the thumbs up...... they said it would not
affect my warrenty.

jbplock
10-15-2003, 15:15
Last week I took my truck to the dealer where I purchased it for a routine NY State inspection and the HighBeam brightness TSB. When I picked up the truck I asked the service writer if he thought adding a second fuel filter would cause problem with my warranty (this dealership sells a fair number of trucks). I mentioned that I had heard about Duramax injector problems and that some people were adding secondary filters. He said he wasn’t familiar with the Duramax but that he would ask one of technicians and get back to me. Well, he called today and said that adding a second fuel filter would void the warranty. :rolleyes: He also said that the OE filter was totally adequate… :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Needless to say I won’t be going back to this dealer if I ever have a problem with the engine while it’s under warranty. Anyone know of a good dealer in Upstate NY or North East PA that understands the Duramax?

[ 10-16-2003, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

deerhunter7
10-15-2003, 17:18
Just picked up my truck from the Dealer this evening . Had them do a check up on engine and a few minor things repaired. Told them I installed another fuel filter. Didn't seem to care. They didn't find nothing wrong and all was invoiced to warranty . So still happy with my Dealer.. ;)

DMaxDave
10-15-2003, 17:40
Just for information, I have a new 2004 with duramax and after reading all the information here, I went to my dealers service manager that has been there over 10 years and he said" thier would not be any warranty problems or issues if I install a PRE OEM Racor 660, I say again PRE OEM fuel filter system. I now have this statement in a legal binding document with his signature on it. I could not get him to talk or discus about a Post OEM system at all. Also GM,s customer service told me if the Service manager says it ok then it is ok and he is thier outhorized company representative and to revert back to him. The costomer rep did say it sounds like a good idea. So I believe I now can install one without worry and did order today . I hope this will give everyone a little help or idea. David

DMaxDave
10-15-2003, 18:29
Reguarding my previous post I would like to say I am not against any fuel filter system Ive read about so far but the one I mentioned in previous post is all My dealer service manager would put his signature on. Thanks david