PDA

View Full Version : fuel fill

dave g
12-04-2001, 13:05
Can anyone tell me why the fuel fill on the Duramax won't take the big nozzle at the fuel station? The TDR guys were talking about it, and it got me thinking. Someone said something about the big nozzle producing too much pressure in the tank, but there was nothing more said about that, just whiney Duramax bashing. I just want to know, because with a big trailer it would be tough to get to the car lane in most truck stops. Thanks.

------------------
2001 Chev 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, Long box ext. cab, pewter
Too many JD 2cyls to count, and a few big ones too......

"If there's oil leaking, there's oil in there somewhere!"

bluenote
12-04-2001, 16:06
I can get the larger nozzle to fit, but it just barely sits in there, and you have to hold it up to make sure it's in the right spot. However, as long as you don't run the pump too fast, you shouldn't have any problems. One of the stations I fill at only has this type of pump and I've filled there several times without any spills. I also believe there was a thread a few weeks back about an adaptation to make sure the big nozzle fits in easily, maybe someone who has this could comment.

------------------
2001 Silverado, 2500HD, D/A, LS, CC, SB, Indigo Blue, 1997 30 foot Prowler 5er with slide

mdrag
12-04-2001, 16:57
Transfer Flow sells a fast fill fillneck kit that will take the larger nozzle:

www.transferflow.com/html/gm_fillneck_kits.html (http://www.transferflow.com/html/gm_fillneck_kits.html)

I installed their 56 gal midship replacement tank with the fast fill kit - and was able to fill up at the highest setting using the larger fueling nozzle.

Here is a thread on the fast fill kit for the OEM tanks:

www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001780.html (http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001780.html)

I can speak from experience installing the fast fill on my truck - you have to do it exactly as instructed and make sure the vent hose has a continuous downward slope with no dips or kinks for it to work correctly. http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

mdrag
========================
'01 3500 DMAX/ALLISON PICTURES (http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=mdrag)<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>2001 3500 LT Crew Cab/LB7 DMAX 6600/M74 Allison 1000 Series/4x4 G80/Light Pewter/Tan Leather<LI>Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode/Dual Alts with PowerMaster 200A<LI>TransferFlow 56 gal tank w/Fast Fill fillneck<LI>Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover with Carbon Fiber Pattern/TracRac Sliding Rack System<LI>Clifford AvantGaurd4 Alarm with Remote Start/SmartWindows4/Computer Interface for MS Windows/Turbo Timer Option<LI>SPA DG-111 Digital Boost & EGT Gauge/PIAA Airdam/PIAA 80 Pro XT Driving & 959 Fog Lights<LI>DTA Corp Running Boards & Mudflaps/Line-X/Invinca-Shield/Center Console Mods<LI>Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors/Tekonsha Prodigy/Goodrich Velvet-Ride Shackles<LI>Future Mods Include: CD Changer and Steering Wheel Audio Controls, Alcoas, Performance Module.... etc.
[/list]

[This message has been edited by mdrag (edited 12-04-2001).]

JohnnyReb
12-04-2001, 21:03
Had the same type small fuel filler neck on the 2000 F--- PSD I just traded. Same as bluenote said, had to hold very steady to get large nozzle in. Anyone at GM care to comment as to why a larger nozzle opening is not used?

------------------
DP member #7995, WB4ZQH
'02 3500 GMC Dmax/Z6 LB CC SLE ordered 10-30. TPW 12-03
Eaton locker, 36ft Montana 5er

TC
12-04-2001, 23:36
There was a long thread on this forum several months ago about the small fill neck on the 2001 Duramax trucks. A lot of the guys, including myself just removed the restriction from the fill neck.

It is fairly easy to do by taking it loose from the bed and then pulling the restriction neck out the bottom. You have to hit it some to get it to come out once you have it all removed from the truck. There is also a plastic tube that goes into the tank about 33 inches.

What all of this does is let the foam and air go between the inner tube and the outer hose and provide a vent effect. It doesn't work well.

I have had no problem since I removed the restriction. At least I can fill at the big truck pumps with little problem. You still can't fill at full flow but the nozzel fits.

------------------
T.C.--2001 Crew Cab, 4x4, LS, Short box, Duramax/Allison, Sunset Orange
e-mail--t_c_mallett@hotmail.com

dave g
12-05-2001, 09:27
I wondered if you could just pull that out. It's not such a problem now, because I can fill at home, but I was just wondering about you big guys with trailers. I ended up at the big nozzle in NY state one day, and boy did it take a while to fill!

------------------
2001 Chev 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, Long box ext. cab, pewter
Too many JD 2cyls to count, and a few big ones too......

"If there's oil leaking, there's oil in there somewhere!"

Idle_Chatter
12-05-2001, 11:08
TC, you removed both the long plastic tube and the restrictor? Sorry if this is previously covered ground, but I'd love to get that dang restrictor out of my filler neck! Let me see if I've got this right: You detach and pull the filler connection from the fender and bed (and the long plastic tube comes along?) Then you push/drive the restrictor and long plastic tube down out of the filler neck and then replace the cleaned-out unit. If this is all it takes, Transferflow replacement piece be damned! I'll clean my OEM filler neck out this weekend! http://www.plauder-smilies.com/happy/astrosmiley2.gif

------------------
Tom Ashley
tashley680@hotmail.com
http://photos.yahoo.com/tashley680
2001 DuraMax/Allison
2500HD Silverado LT
Lt Pewter/Graphite Lthr
Ext Cab/Shrt Box/4x4
Line-X/Century Ultra Cap
Husky floorliners
Amsoil 2-Stg Aircleaner
Amsoil Dual Remote Fltr
Fumoto Oil Drain
Amsoil 3000 5W30 Syn

drmike
03-04-2002, 21:02
I would love to fill up at the big pumps but am not mechanically confident enough to tear into that. Without understanding the exact terminology of each piece and how you take it apart(and put it back together)in very detailed order, I'd get lost. Do you work on it from the back behind the fender or the outside of the fuel fill?

TC
03-04-2002, 21:20
To remove the restrictor, you have to remove the fill neck from the fender. There are about 3 screws. then you have to remove a screw fastening the ground strap and loosen the clamp around the rubber hose leading to the tank.

When you pull the fill neck out it will have a long plastic ribbed tube attached--about 33 inches long--just keep on pulling. Once you get this out in your hand, you will see that the restrictor is only held in place by the metal crimping on the bottom end of the fill neck. What I did was put it in a bench vise and then put a socket that just fit inside it and drove it down and out. It was a little tight, but it came out without bending or damaging anything. You don't use the long plastic tube or the metal neck it is attached to--they are history! (or save for re-install if you aren't happy--whatever)

Then just reinstall the fill neck and reattach the ground strap. This isn't a magic fix for fast fill. I still can't fill at a high rate on either a big nozzel or a small one for that matter. But now I do have a choice and the fix was FREE! Good luck.

dmaxstu
03-04-2002, 21:34
I've filled at the big nozzled pumps numerous times and never had a problem first off our tanks are so small that even at slow it does'nt take that long and second if it plunges in there too fast it makes to much foam and you have to keep topping it up. I've been to a couple of truck stops with big nozzles and the fuel came out at the same volume as the automobile pump. Now that was a big dissapointment since I was filling my accross the bed 135 gal tank. Stu

Kennedy
03-05-2002, 08:57
What Stu said!

The only hassle I have had at a big nozzle pump was that the hook wouldn't fit in so I had to hinge it back and hold it to keep it from hitting the truck bed. I filled on the first notch and it came out plenty fast.

As for the tube, it is supposed to minimize foaming in the tank, so I think I'll leave mine in for now.

Allison Jettester
03-05-2002, 14:09
Does anybody remember the days when we were transitioning from leaded to unleaded gas? Every store carried a step down adapter for the end of the leaded nozzle to fit in unleaded fuel tanks. Why wouldn't that work in this situation?

Joe

Viking
03-05-2002, 14:35
I use truck stop big nozzles and have not found a problem. Some pump a little faster than others and you can not trickle that last little bit in.I think it is worth the effort as I feel the fuel is fresher with less chance of contamination.(sometimes cheaper)

drmike
03-05-2002, 19:41
I was under the impression the big nozzle would not fit so I took the restrictor and tube out this morning, it went well. I guess I'll feel better about pulling up to the pump when I'm towing.

imported_
03-07-2002, 16:31
Removing the center tube won't really help much.
That is your tank vent,it will just burp back
on you more.I installed the upgrade from Transfer
flow,it is the complete fill neck with the vent
hose on the side,so it doesn't effect flow.

ccds
12-03-2002, 16:02
here is another link with filler neck information:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000655&p=

and another link:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000655

smile.gif

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: ccds ]</p>

pills
12-03-2002, 16:38
GM does indeed install a larger filler neck! My 01 cab/chassis came with huge filler necks with vent pipes running down the sides, more than enough room for the big rig nozzles. May just be on the cab/chassis models but these filler openings are really nice.