PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Replacement Nightmare

Catalina455
03-03-2003, 09:53
I decided to change the fuel filter on my 02 Sierra(17.5k miles) and followed posts which recommended removing the battery box. After numerous attempts to remove the filter with a strap wrench, oil filter wrench and finally a pipe wrench, all I was left with was a crushed and dripping filter. In order to get the filter off, I removed the filter housing (2 bolts, two hose clamps, 1 ground wire, sensor connector) and laid it on the bench. I was still not able to twist the filter off so I had to resort to an air powered cut off wheel. After cutting off the metal filter outer, I was able to get to the plastic which promptly allowed me to twist it off using a pipe wrench. Everything went back together pretty smooth. The moral of the story is, if you haven't changed your fuel filter, be very wary of the same gorillas that installed your first oil filter at the factory. By the way, my filter was black 3/4 of the way up and I only do very limited towing. :mad:

mtomac
03-03-2003, 10:07
Try taking out the fender liner next time. The fuel filter will be staring you right in the face.

hoot
03-03-2003, 10:35
I found that as with all spin on style filters, it's very important to position the "band" of whatever style wrench you are using, as close to the gasketed base as possible. It won't crush very easily there.

I use a type similar to this....

http://www.autopart.com/Tools/pictures/75dpi/CDefault-110.jpg

or this....

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/media/TN-KD-2320.jpg

I use a ratchet extension and replaced my fuel filter twice already without removing any other part of the truck.

You can either use a plastic milk jug with the top half cut off or a paint pail liner from Home Depot to put under the filter. It will sit right on the frame rail and catch the dripping fuel.
Yes the filter is tight. I have to turn it a tiny bit at a time until it finally gets free.

Next time I do mine, I'll take some pics.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

BlackMax
03-03-2003, 12:57
I have always wondered if there was a problem with my fuel system after reading some of these filter change posts. Everybody talks about catching the fuel that drips from the filter. My filter is only about 2/3 full when I remove it and I have changed it 3 times so far. The truck has always run fine with no problems and is by far the best truck I have ever owned and I have owned quit a few over the years.

hoot
03-03-2003, 13:10
There's a drain at the bottom that you can open. I don't think there's anything wrong with your truck. It runs right?

I open the drain and then open the bleeder screw to drain the filter before removing it.

Trucker Tex
03-03-2003, 20:57
Catalina, I'm wondering if you tried the strap wrench first, before the filter wrench. I say this because I did the same thing on my first filter change. If you're not used to using a strap wrench from the top you may not realize that everything is backwards. In other words, we are used to turning a standard wrench or a filter wrench to the right to tighten and to the left to loosen. But with a strap wrench from the top, you push the rachet handle to the left and you are actually tightening the filter. Pulling toward you (to the right) actually turns the filter to the left and loosens it. Is it possible that you tightened it on the first try?

You may not have done that at all, but its just a thought.

T Tex

a bear
03-03-2003, 21:45
Hoot,
Where did you find the metal strap wrenches. I'm using the nylon strap but those you show in the picks would probably work a whole lot better. smile.gif

Nixter
03-04-2003, 00:25
Catalina, That sounds like something that I would do. Even at a very young age I found myself taking things apart for one reason or another. But if I was in that situation I would be VERY concerned about introducing foreign material into my fuel system. I hope for your sake that you cleaned the assembly well before you reinstalled it. I'm not looking forward to my first filter change.--Nick

Idle_Chatter
03-04-2003, 12:47
I've made 3 fuel filter changes (15,000-30,000-45,000). Made the first two by pulling the fender liner - piece of cake! Since so many people have been warning about "learn to do it from the top in case you have to do it roadside" I changed my last one from the top with the square-tube and nylon strap wrench and a 1/2" socket wrench. Although I have an '01 and don't have the A/C interference that later models have, it was a chore. Got it done, though, and just got back from a 3,000 mile Florida run on the new filter.

hoot
03-04-2003, 12:58
--------------quote----------------------------
Hoot,
Where did you find the metal strap wrenches. I'm using the nylon strap but those you show in the picks would probably work a whole lot better.
-----------------------------------------------

I had those forever. Probably got them at a local auto store. See the links that the pictures are part of.

http://www.autopart.com
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net

The wrench would have to be the large style for the PH8A size filter. I also have one that fits the skinny filters.

mtomac
03-04-2003, 13:47
I've got a screwdriver, strapwrench, channel locks, and filter with me at all times. If I had to change the filter on the side of the road I would still pull the fender liner, it only takes a couple minutes.

Raptorrider2001
03-04-2003, 16:14
I know this sounds stupid, but what are you using to snap out the clips that hold the fender liner in place? I can't seem to get good leverage with a screw driver and have messed some up or in some cases not been able to get them out. The last time I tried, I didn't get many out so ended up changing it from the top. I am sure I am doing something wrong. Do they make a special tool for it? Thanks :confused:

mackin
03-04-2003, 16:24
Raptorrider2001

It is a two piece clip....The center part is pried out with either a thin blade flat head or I'll use a cotter pin extractor occasionally....There is what looks like a notch to get under it seperating the two sections....The balance of clip can be removed anyway you choose....

The wire loom barbs, now that's another story....The more you do it, the easier they give up !!!!! ;)

MAC :D :D :D

sonofagun
03-04-2003, 19:09
Catalina,

It will be easier the next time (the gorillas don't visit our homes). I do it the way Hoot does (3 times so far) and have not had any problems. The first time was harder but still did it the same way. Get the strap wrench up as far as you can and get one that takes a 1/2 ratchet with the longest handle possible (those who have the gorilla experience could us a short piece of pipe over the ratchet handle, which would give more leverage.) Go slow but steady. I stand on a metal chair and do it all by just reaching over the top. Mine is a '01.

Good luck,
Bob

a bear
03-04-2003, 22:05
Hoot,
Thanks for the links. Found one there but will check here first smile.gif

motovet
03-05-2003, 01:38
Maybe I have just been lucky or had it "good", but I have done all four of my changes from the top and all have been real easy. I use the large size metal strap wrench and keep a gallon plastic bag around the filter to catch any fuel left in it. I have a better time with the fuel filter than I do with the oil filter. Now that IS no fun.

Tsckey
03-05-2003, 21:06
I guess I've just been lucky, too. I went in through the fender well and except for my own worries about screwing it up had no problems. I even used a crummy, cheapo, rubber band strap wrench. The filter came right off. I must be living right. If you're careful with the plastic clips/rivets/whatever, you can do the change over and over that way and not hurt anything.

TC

Catalina455
03-06-2003, 11:12
I believe the key to my demise was the inadequate nylon type filter strap wrench. I had to think twice before turning it to make sure I didn't tighten it, but to no avail. After disassembling the filter from the housing, I cleaned everything and have no concerns over introducing contaminants into the fuel system. Next time I will order one of the metal strap wrenches like Hoot recommends and complete the job in short order. At least the positives were that I didn't get stranded at home and others may buy a good wrench before being stranded on the road wondering why their $10 nylon strap wrench didn't get the job done.

Heck, it offered less of a mechanical challenge than last nights installation of the power window motor and glass on my wagons tailgate (70 model).

TBC
03-06-2003, 23:41
I use the cloth strap wrench from the top. Had problems getting the wheelwell liner out. I have done this twice from the top and takes about 20 minutes total. I use a few spots of silcone to hold the oring in place. Getting elec connector loose was the hard part the first time but taking it out of the clip on the head where I could get to it with both hands solved that. After the filter is seated by hand I carefully use the strap wrench to turn it about another 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Strap wrench has to be all the way to the top at the bead to prevent denting the filter. Has worked fine so far.

Tom

zip
03-17-2003, 15:52
This is just a "wag", but I Would guess the fuel filters are installed by a torque gun or torque head on the engine assembly line. The machine is built to position the filter when the housing is transferred into alignment with the torque head.
It automatically screws the filter on and is sposed' to be calibrated to a certain torque by the maintenance guys who maintain the assembly line. So if the filters are installed too tight at the factory- now we know who the gorillas are.
the guys over at the coffee pot. :D

(I'm one of em at another GM plant) But I'm always doin my job right.

;) zip