PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak inquiry

volcano4x4
03-03-2003, 15:51
Took truck infor lube & oil change. Also was low on coolant. Got home & decided to check coolant level. Level was still low....checked underneath truck and found that the zerk fittings had mud & dirt on them, but no fresh grease....also big oil leak coming from around breather tube....
Took back to dealer..."Can't understand why tech. didn't lube." I ask about oil leak....nothing to worry about, they will clean it off next time I bring the truck in, which maybe NEVER.
Is it normal for oil to leak from around breather tube...big time ?????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

DURA-MAX3
03-03-2003, 17:22
Yes it is normal, i had to add some hose to mine to keep it from making a mess all over the side of the engine. just put in a hose connector and rerouted it a bit...

a bear
03-03-2003, 18:20
Its not normal for oil to leak around the crank case vent tube. You probably have a bad seal where it attaches. You should only vent a little out the end of the tube. Just enough to wet the wire harness over time. The venting should reduce somewhat after breaking in the engine (seating rings). Can take a while on a diesel especially if it is not being worked too hard. ;)

Spartus
07-24-2003, 01:13
I thought I'd revive this thread. I recently towed a 6,000 lb trailer for 900+ miles on a 15 hour trip. I drove straight through only stopping for fuel. When I got up in the morning I had a small puddle of oil under the truck about 3" in dia... Also while the truck is running I can see exhaust coming out of this tube... Btw, I have 7000 miles on the truck, and this is the first time I towed with it.

So, anything to worry about? Thanks.

-Tom.

mackin
07-24-2003, 07:14
How was your oil level ?? To see a bit of blow bye ,I've seen it at night in the head lights before ,but the puddle is a bit concerning ....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif