PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Glow Plugs Install

porboyz
05-21-2004, 09:56
Anyone have tips on installing the Kennedy glow plugs on the Banks turbo side of an 88 6.2? They are longer than the 11g's and the spade connector is a pain. Thanks for any help.

mhagie
05-21-2004, 18:25
I installed the Kennedy Quick heats in my 84 with Banks Turbo and luckily it wasn't too bad except for the spade connectors of which I had to bend a few at a 90* angle to clear downpipe etc.
I had one that the spade conn. that was tacked on fell off, now I wish that the plugs came without a connector at all,I cleaned the threads on the stud, found a nut and a simple solderless terminal slipped over stud, it worked to perfection.
I will swear by the glow plugs as engine only makes 1 revolution or less before starting right up...............Merle

CleviteKid
05-22-2004, 05:19
Everyone with a non-computer truck pay attention to what Merle said: his engine starts in one revolution or less.

Such is the benefit of a good glow SYSTEM, and a good battery - starter - connections SYSTEM, good compression and a good pump-injector SYSTEM. More Power said a long time back the best test of a used diesel truck is how quickly it starts from cold. That one act tests all the critical elements.

I, too, enjoy one-revolution starts, thanx to all the help I have received from TheDieselPage.com and its members.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Peter J. Bierman
05-22-2004, 14:14
I too have the luxury off a single rev starter.
Even with two plugs down it started immediately, the only thing then was I could not see for 3 minutes till the smoke cleared :D

Peter

mhagie
05-23-2004, 14:40
Of course I should probably clarify things a tad, my super easy starting is helped by the fact that I have a fresh Diesel Depot engine, fresh 4911 pump,a new set of Kennedy Quick Heats,the 85 and newer glowplug controler ( from a Dr. Lee Article) and a newer 6.5 gear drive starter that spins it like there is no tomorrow,life is good.......Merle

CleviteKid
05-23-2004, 17:07
See there, boys and girls ?

Mr. Merle has all his SYSTEMS set up right, just like Dr. Lee ordered.

And he is right, life is good. As for me, I just spent the day redoing my exhaust to include new stainless steel 3-1/2" slant cut rolled edge tailpipe extensions, straight out the back on either side of the receiver hitch, so I can blow black smoke RIGHT IN THE FACE of ignorant tailgaters. No, this doesn't do anything to make the truck start faster, but it does make me want to start it and drive it more often :D .

Dr. Lee :cool:

Dieselboy
05-23-2004, 19:48
I've always been impressed at how these engines start. My old 300K mile 6.2L NA always started with 1/2 turn, while my dad's 6.5TD has always taken 1-2 turns even when new.

This may be splitting hairs, but the new 6.2TD with 60Gs, good DB2, 28MT starter, etc. still starts faster than the 6.5.

Ratau
05-23-2004, 22:45
Last winter my Blazer had to sleep outside and the temperature dropped to 0

moondoggie
05-25-2004, 09:08
Good Day!

Dieselboy: I