PDA

View Full Version : Predator Towing and Longevity Questions

Rebel_Horseman
03-04-2003, 09:05
I'm seriously looking at the Predator. My main question is towing with the unit. Has anyone towed with it yet, and if so, how does it do? Does it give you more low end power, more power where you need it, etc...?

Also, for your guys that have chipped you trucks, what kind of durability issues are there? I guess what I'm asking is, if I go with the Diablo, will my transmission and engine life be shorter because of the increase in power? Can the Allison hold up to towing with the power leveles of the Predator?

Reb [><]

a64pilot
03-04-2003, 09:53
Reb,
It will be next week before I order it. I am going with the TST. Reason is I think that you set not only the max power available, but also the curve that the fuel is added. I am not so much interested in how much more power I can make at 3000 RPM as I am in how much more power I can get at 2000 RPM.
I.E. Lvl 3 Te 5 (according to TST's Dyno chart adds about 200 ftlbs of Tq. at 1800 or so) I'm thinking this added grunt at low end will keep the tranny from having to downshift.
I also like the adjustable EGT shutdown point so that if someone else is driving the truck they can't hurt it by not watching EGT's.
Any increase in power will come at the expense of drivetrain wear. I'm betting that by keeping the power level to a point short of putting the tranny in limp mode and decreasing service intervals of both the tranny and rear diff I'll be OK.
IMHO these power modules haven't been out long enough for any definative analysis as to drive train wear. I believe that most modules are sold to people who are hotrodding empty trucks and the strain that they are putting the drive train under is different than a long pull up a hill while heavily loaded etc.
While slamming gears in a quarter mile pass is hard on a tranny. I think that the heat from a long hard pull is hard on a tranny also even if there is no shifting going on.
In short I'm looking for towing enhancement, not quicker 1/4 mile times and IMHO the TST best addresses this.

a64pilot
03-04-2003, 09:56
Reb,
If you go with the Predator I'll give you a good deal on my SPA boost/pyrometer complete with the overhead console blank (for the LT truck) that it is mounted in. ;)

Rebel_Horseman
03-04-2003, 10:27
I'm in the same boat as you, a64poilot. I'm looking for towing gains. I've been looking at the TTS module and I'm probably going to order one of them today. Thing is, I was told that these trucks can not hold up under power enhancements. Personally I think that's a bunch of hogwash, but I still have to ask the question.

Reb [><]

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Rebel_Horseman ]</p>

hoot
03-04-2003, 11:01
-------------- quote ---------------------
I was told that these trucks can not hold up under power enhancements.
------------------------------------------

Just out of curiousity...

Who says so and what goes wrong?
Any real world proof?

I would think there would be (proof)by now and you'd have all kinds of posts about people blowing up engines or destroying trannies.

What I found is the people that are saying these things are loyal to other brands.

What they fail to mention is they all break when constantly overstressed.

The big question being asked here is what level is overstressing this drivetrain?

I'm not sure anybody has a finger on it yet.

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Rebel_Horseman
03-04-2003, 11:38
I think you're right. See this info is coming from a friend of a friend that has a shop in my area and he sells chips. The info that I'm getting is that either the shop or the shop's supplier (don't know which one) put chips in 2 different trucks and "the motors fell apart." Personal opinion is like you said hoot; they are loyal to other brands or they don't know what they're doing.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

PS I'm going to order my Juice now! :D :D ;) tongue.gif

hoot
03-04-2003, 11:43
I just sold an old Blazer to a guy with a Dodge Cummins. He saw my truck and said "Aren't they having trouble with the heads on them things?" This was last week. I just smiled and said "Nope". I told him that according to the Ford and Dodge boys, even before the engines were produced they had already written the DMax off. That's where the rumors came from.

I'm amazed at how many guys mention the heads when they talk to me about my truck. The bad (and incorrect) pre-publicity from the competition has been hard to shake.

Hopefully Ford won't get spanked by it's current real problems plaguing it's introduction.

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Kennedy
03-04-2003, 12:18
The trucks hold up fine under the increased power, it's the transmission that can suffer from overzealous application of such power. This is one area that Edge has done very well in addressing.

Flyboy
03-04-2003, 12:23
Before the performance boxes came out, several people installed propane systems. To my knowledge these trucks haven't blown up yet! If you abuse anything,it will break. I don't think that the level of power that the regular Juice adds will hurt anything. Rebel-- You will like it for towing.

a64pilot
03-04-2003, 14:20
Reb,
If you are going the juice route, do you want my gauges?

felpa41
03-04-2003, 15:07
I've only had my 30/60/75/90 hp juice from Kennedy about two weeks. I haven't even towed with it yet.

However, on one or two occasions I have tested the acceleration from a rolling stop to see what it would do. It is way more than adequate and I personally have no desire for more power because I think the transmission would probably go into limp mode.

When driving along at 70 mph, just cruising down the level highway, waiting for the temp to reach 180 degrees and the juice to kick in; when it happens, the truck will quickly climb to about 75 mph if I don't back off the accelerator.

I'm thinking that for towing the regular juice is all one would need or want.

I am very pleased so far and expect to verify some MPG gains after I have some mileage on the juice. I don't hot rod my truck, however, I sure do enjoy the throttle response with the juice. I find myself anticipating the temp to reach kick in for the juice so I can back off on the gas peddle and enjoy my drive more.

Rebel_Horseman
03-04-2003, 15:34
a64pilot:

I'd like to have them but I need to save up some money first. e-mail me and we can talk more.

cowboybinkz71@cs.com

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

DMAX4LIFE
03-04-2003, 16:19
how much for your gauges? cdn111@hotmail.com

Searay90
03-05-2003, 11:43
a64pilot

Send me an e-mail with price on your guages as well as a picture or two if you have them.

hstearns@gte.net

Thanks.........

a64pilot
03-06-2003, 09:03
Reb,
I sent you an E-mail yesterday, you interested?

Rebel_Horseman
03-06-2003, 10:36
I just got the e-mail. Unfortunately, the financial situation I'm looking at right now doens't look too positive. I reckon I'm going to have to pass. Thanks for the offer though.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

WhiteDuramax
05-12-2003, 19:51
a64pilot, do you still have your spa for sale??

a64pilot
05-13-2003, 07:17
WhiteDuramax,
No, sorry Chris, Chuntag has it now.

Bass_on_tap
05-13-2003, 10:48
Rebel, I see from your sig, you already have an Edge box, are you looking to replace it or stack? Dave

Rebel_Horseman
05-14-2003, 11:57
Right now I'm satisfied with the Edge. In the near future I'm going to stack it with the Predator or Hypertech so that I can reprogram for tire changes. I'm running 265's now but I'm going to 285's when these Kelly's wear out and I can afford to buy some new treads. So far, I've had the Juice for about 3 months and I've towed some big loads. All I can say is wow! It's a total different truck. Run level 2 all the time.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]