PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Billy 14, I Have to get Juiced

afp
08-17-2002, 20:31
Billy was kind enough to let me drive his truck tonight. The juice is incredible. My truck weighs 600 lbs less than his. I have a free flowing intake system and muffler, his is stock. He has 295s, my tires are 265s. Regardless, his truck is 1.5 sec quicker 0-60.

Billy, thanks again.

Blaine

mackin
08-17-2002, 20:39
afp ,

That's the problem with the JUICE it is very addicting ......Every one I introduced to it, is now JUICED ....Worse the Heroin in it's hay day...Edge ought to be ashamed of them selves......

MAC :D

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

DMAXDiva
08-17-2002, 20:58
Hey, if Billy's handin' out free test drives, I'll take one too!

He's obviously one very generous individual...I never let ANYONE drive my truck (uh, well, other than my husband...but he has to be a very, very good boy ;) ...)

afp
08-17-2002, 21:26
Well ya know, it's kind of a man thing..........

Billy14
08-17-2002, 23:58
afp,

Sorry Blaine, hate to dissapoint you but you better make that 2 sec. Ambient temp DOES make a difference. Ran the same track 2 times at 11 this evening. Outside air was down to 84 deg. Both times were down to 7.9 & 8. That's also 0-64.5 given the 295's, & to save myself I guess your times would probably be lower also. It also broke both skins loose in 2nd at the same spot we tried earlier.

Wonder if the Juice comes in Pop Tops? smile.gif That one's for you Mac but I'd be in line right behind you. :D :D

Billy

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: Billy14 ]</p>

Maverick
08-18-2002, 03:03
afp,
Don't worry about the Juice bug, we all got it. On Saturday I stopped at DetroitBob's house on the way back home to BS a little. We got talking about the Juice again. "Wanna try it on your truck" I said. "Yeh, I guess we could" he says. Bob has a nice 02' GMC EC SLT 3500. Talk about fun. He was like a 16 year old kid that just got his license and just recieved a Vette for this birthday. "Yeh, it does get up to 90 pretty quick" he says. Heh, Heh, Heh, what a blast. He is getting one now.

afp
08-18-2002, 16:41
Billy,

I did a little math, and your 0-60 mph times correct to 7.35. I just divided 7.9 by 64.5 to get the seconds per mph, and then multiplied by 60.

To the rest of you loonies, I guess I'll soon be one too!

Blaine

hdmax(mike)
08-19-2002, 18:05

Billy,
I did a little math, and your 0-60 mph times correct to 7.35. I just divided 7.9 by 64.5 to get the seconds per mph, and then multiplied by 60.

To the rest of you loonies, I guess I'll soon be one too!

Blaine

--------------------

It soulds like they were using their own judgment on times,(maybe a stopwatch) Other wise if using GPS or offical stop clock. The speed would have been corrected for the tire size. Right? And if that`s the case. Those numbers don`t mean much.

afp
08-19-2002, 20:28
hdmax(mike),

I partially agree with you. The ONLY accurate method of measuring these speeds and times is via dragstrip-style timers. All other methods are varying levels of "wag." (BTW "wag" is an acronymn. ;) ) GPS is not a super accurate system for measuring mph, neither is a speedometer reading. Billy has made some twenty 0-60 mph passes, and his results have been consistent.

To those who have drag raced, this is old news. The "human" part of a drag race run is more consistent than the mechanical part. The human reacts very consistently to the lights and accomplishes tasks in a very consistent manner. This has actually been measured. However, the reaction mechanical components have also been measured and found to be less consistent than the human.

To that end, it is not unreasonable to ascribe a certain level of credence to timing runs with a stop watch. It is much more reliable than relying on the "seat of your pants"--which is often misleading, beacuse what feels the quickest often isn't. Add to that when I timed Billy, my times were very close to his. Add to that the timing of my own runs and it's not unreasonable to say a juiced truck is easily 1.5 sec quicker 0-60 than one without.

The correction I threw in is another wag. Whether or not accleration is linear or not is an unknown. My calculations assume linear acceleration (thought that was obviuous). Reagrdless, they give a better idea of what his truck will actually do.

Blaine

SoCalDMAX
08-20-2002, 00:49
Blaine, Blaine, Blaine...

You'll never get "cured" if you won't admit you have a problem. Blaming Billy for your desire to bomb your truck is not going to help at all.

I don't know all of the 12 steps, but I think it goes:

1. Admit that you have a problem, that you are weak, need our moral support and want more power out of your truck.
2. Research how you want to do it. (You've been at this stage far too long.)
3. Get permission from the Boss. (This is sometimes difficult and can be skipped if necessary.)
4. Call up vendor of choice and order module, give CC # and specify overnight shipment.
5. Call in sick the next day.
6. Attack anyone wearing a brown uniform, especially brown shorts. (Apologize to the cops/irate parents and explain that the little girl in the Brownie uniform *really* looked like a UPS employee, and no, you are NOT a molester.)
7. Tear the box from the startled UPS employee's hands and scream that 11 AM is pretty darn LATE IN THE DAY!!!!
8. Shred the box open, annihilating the instructions and destroying all evidence.
9. Install module in under 2 minutes and set level 4. You've read so much about it here, who needed instructions anyways?
10. Go for a test fix...er, drive while grinning from ear to ear, laughing maniacally and hunting down unsuspecting PSDs and CTDs (forgot hunting tags, didn't we?)
11. Come back here and post of your kills and how much more you love the truck, get opinions on what to order next...
12. Explain to the wife that these heavy trucks always wear down the rear tires really fast... within days, really. Buy fresh tires before the CC statement arrives. Beg for forgiveness when she gets hold of the CC statement. Buy her (insert jewelry, flowers, candlelit dinner, vacation to Cancun, etc here.)

No one ever really gets cured. We just keep coming to these durn meetings... ;)

Hi, my name is Steve, and I'm a Bombaholic...

mackin
08-20-2002, 05:01
:D :D :D :D :D

DMAXDiva
08-20-2002, 06:52
You're a RIOT, SoCal! :D :D :D

afp
08-20-2002, 07:46
You mean step three is optional?!

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-20-2002, 09:39
SoCal,

That's pretty much the way it goes, GM should have offered the "Juice" in the '03 models as an option. Maybe it's not too late. MMMM.....

afp,

If you are gonna get the "Juice" make sure you get some gauges. That seems to be the requirement for keeping an eye on things.

Hey, did your muffler make any difference????

Now go call in that order!!!

Good Luck,

GMC ;)

afp
08-20-2002, 19:27
Just ordered my gauges form Jk today.

Blaine

afp
08-24-2002, 20:52
I ordered my juice today from JK. Should get my gauges Monday and the Juice on Wed.

Blaine

Jeffrey Shaffer
08-30-2002, 01:14
Tryed the Juice today the lastest upgrade I guess Truck stops powering all together before shift and doesnt repower until long after shift.Whe the powers on it great but when it drops off it sure lets you down. Is there any way around this it wouldnt chip the tires on wet payment like it is with the petal mashed to the floor Like I said powers great when it on.

afp
08-30-2002, 18:16
Make several full throttle runs in level four. It will fix that problem.

Blaine

tonyskid
08-30-2002, 20:28
Hey, is there anyone that is in the High Desert area of California that has one of those Juiced up D-Max's that I might be able to take a ride in to see how she fly's. I really want one but I need to see her go before I order one.

Tony :D :D :D :D

Jeffrey Shaffer
08-30-2002, 23:17
Thanks for the info does the exhaust and intake do much for performance It sounds like the exhaust would be nice. How is the sound in the cab. I changed the exhaust on my 6 liter gas and It was so loud in the cab I had to change it back to stock. I changed exhaust before on other trucks and loved the sound it was just bad on the 6 liter thats all. Thanks Jeff

afp
08-31-2002, 11:29
I replaced my stock muffler with a 20" magnaflow. At under about 55, there is a mild but pleasing exhaust tone. Above 55 you can't really hear it.

As far as I know, most the info on performance increases on the DMax with exhaust and intake are anecdotal. I don't know of any dyno tests run with DMaxes to test those copmponents.

When I put the K&N Aircharger system on my truck, I noticed an immediate increase in throttle response--however, this is also anecdotal and subjective. With the stock intake, I would start hearing the turbo at around 1500 rpm; with the aircharge I hear it at 1200. If my perception to the above is correct, then perhaps the Aircharger is indeed letting the engine/turbo breathe better and so power is coming in sooner. The exhaust didn't seem to make that much of a difference in power and/or throttle response. The Magnaflow folks--who make both mufflers and exhaust systems for the DMax--told me 75% of the restriction in the exhaust was in the muffler, and the DMax 3.5" pipes were pretty good. John Kennedy--who makes his exhaust system (which I hear is excellent)--thinks the 4" exhaust is worth more than what the Magnoflow folks say. Once again, none of us have any hard numbers to back our our hypotheses--yet. Someone else told me the main benefit of the larger exhaust on a trubo diesel is to get the heat out of the engine. This is especially important when towing.

A friend did loan me his GTech, and last night I made a good run with the Juice on level 4. If I can trust the GTech numbers, my truck ran a 14.49 at 96 MPH with a 5.92 0-60 mph time. Perhaps I can believe the 14.49, but I'm not as sure about the 96 mph. I need to go to the dragstrip to get some solid numbers.

Hope that helps.

Blaine

DMAXDiva
08-31-2002, 12:38
Hey Jeffrey:

If you'd like to hear what a 4 inch exhaust sounds like in the cab, click on the Banks link below. My husband and I made an audio clip of a full-throttle run from 0-85 for comparison vs. stock. Hope that helps... smile.gif

ksss
09-07-2002, 16:18
I put a juice box on my 01 K3500. I can believe the difference it made towing. I wish I had done it sooner.

sonofagun
09-07-2002, 16:46
afp,

No. 3 is only optional if the "Boss" has recently rendered inoperable the majority of your fleet of vehicles (right SoCal?).

Bob ;)

SoCalDMAX
09-07-2002, 17:25
Man, I wish it worked that way. It's gonna cost $1800 for an imported motor, (like new with 30-40,000mi on it) new water pump and clutch/pressureplate. I think the car is only worth $1500, but reasoning doesn't work.

Another $800 down the tubes for the Toyota diesel to rebuild the fuel pump and install all new belts, etc. Thank goodness I've already outfitted the truck!

We aren't getting any new vehicles for a LOOONG time!

Regards, Steve