PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil Filter Question for Greg

Jomar
06-18-2003, 21:43
Greg, after reading some of your recent posts I see that I used too much oil after cleaning my filter. How do you get that thick oil to spread out for good coverage without using a lot? When I got ready to install the filter several days later, the plastic bag I had put it in had a lot of oil in it . I took a paper towel and squeezed the sides of the filter to get some of the excess oil out. Any suggestions?

Jomar

LanduytG
06-19-2003, 05:50
Warm up the oil in hot water or microwave. Plus use your fingers and need it in. It takes time but can be done. I know of one guy that uses a chunk of 2" pvc pipe and uses it like a rolling pin. That seems to work well but I have not tried it myself.

Greg

Jomar
06-20-2003, 06:09
Thanks Greg, I`ll give it a try. I was concerned that I might have sopped up too much of the oil from the filter with the paper towels since I had used almost all the oil in the little bottle to start with. I`ll know better next time.
Thanks again,

Jomar

Idle_Chatter
06-23-2003, 07:26
Jomar, when I clean and reoil mine, I make a "grid" pattern on the filter with the oil bottle in about 1" squares. Then I put on a pair of latex surgical gloves and knead it in really well and even. That seems to give a pretty good and even distribution of the oil.

Jomar
06-23-2003, 21:38
Idle-Chatter
Thanks for the suggestion, I always appreciate all the advice I get on the DP.

Jomar

ItsMrBill
06-24-2003, 05:05
Idle_Chatter, I have done the same however instead of gloves, I resorted to sticking my hand into a Glad sandwich bag thereby spreading the oil. Either way works great.

Idle_Chatter
06-24-2003, 06:44
ItsMrBill; Whatever keeps that gooey oil off your hands! I like the gloves because I can really work the oil around in the foam with my fingers. I also like to complete the job by sticking two oily fingers in the tailpipe and telling the truck to "turn your wheels and shift." :rolleyes: :D