PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Exhaust Installed

RVGuy
08-18-2002, 16:14
Well, its finished. I've installed a Kennedy 4 inch exhaust system on my truck. The result is a throaty, very authoritative sound that I'm very pleased with.

I did this in my drive with the front wheels on Rhino ramps and the back of the truck jacked up about 6 inches on stands.

I actually completed the installation yesterday morning after beginning it Friday late afternoon. But this is my first trip out of bed and am still recuperating.

My assessment of the difficulty of this project with the truck not on a lift is 5 wrenches out of 5. Don't do it. Especially if you are intent on removing the OEM system without cutting....which I did.

I would describe the sound as much louder than stock without being offensive. And a gruff authoritative rumble as you accelerate down the road.

It came with a Megs tip that finishes the system off with class.

BTW, I was very surprised to find out that my truck had a catalytic converter. I was under the impression they were required only in CA.

I'll provide performance reports at another time as I haven't driven the truck much this weekend. The directions on my pain medication says not to operate heavy equipment while taking it. As soon as I'm able to lift my arms above my head and turn my head from side-to-side again, I'll stop taking the meds and will take the truck for a spin. Can't wait!! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

DURA-MAX3
08-21-2002, 14:49
I would like to meet up with you sometime in your area to hear that exhaust for myself, I am up here by bridgeport, tx. Been thinking of after market exhaust but would like to hear one first. Thanks... Robert....

RVGuy
08-21-2002, 21:06
Duramax3,

I'll be happy to play a tune for you on the Kennedy exhaust system.

With the new exhaust system, the truck has much better throttle response. I'm running the Juice on level 4 and the combination is really fune to drive. I'm sure having had a catalytic converter was dogging the truck down more than others without the cat. I bet the engine and turbo had a big sigh of relief the first time I started it up with the new exhaust.

The exhaust is very throaty at idle. Then with higher rpm the throaty rumble turns into a roar. When combined with the sounds of the diesel and turbo, it will turn some heads.

Fine on being in Bridgeport. I'm in Irving. I'll be down at Cleburne State Park with the travel trailer this weekend. In addition, Camping World is having a Bag-it discount thing this weekend and I'll be going up Saturday on I-35W from Cleburne to Denton to get there. Perhaps we can meet up somewhere.

Alli-max
08-22-2002, 08:03
One problem with the megs tip.... It is kinda hard to get melted rubber off of it since you cant use a brillo pad. :D :D

SoCalDMAX
08-22-2002, 12:45
RVGuy,

That's great to hear about your exhaust!

So, am I reading this right... you installed this exhaust system while under pain meds, unable to raise your arms or turn your head? Sounds like even Alli-max could install this... oh wait!! He does have one! ;) My bad.

Either you're very determined, it was pretty easy or a combo of the 2!

Regards, Steve

RVGuy
08-22-2002, 22:53
The way it was to have been interpreted was that I did the install; the install was a bit(h; by the time I completed the project I couldn't turn my head from side-to-side nor raise my arms above my head.

The meds were a joke....that I had to take them because of the pain throughout my body after the installation. Good thing I'm not a writer, huh?

Kennedy
08-22-2002, 23:04
It always amazes the brother in law (he works out daily and I don't) how much he hurts after working with his arms overhead under a vehicle, and THAT is on my hoist :eek:

Mechanical service work can be flat out demanding!

SoCalDMAX
08-22-2002, 23:05
Aahhhh,

I see, said the blind man... the misunderstanding was all mine.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've misunderstood people.

Now I'm wondering who installed the exhaust for Alli-max? :eek:

Regards, Steve

zip
08-23-2002, 02:25
Steve, There ya go. Pickin on Alli again.
;)

nukedmax
08-23-2002, 09:40
RVGUY I know that this is off topic but I am getting ready to buy a 5th wheel or Trailer

I note that you are pulling a trailer. Any comments on why you selected a trailer vs a 5th wheel?

Thanks, Lloyd

RVGuy
08-25-2002, 21:11
Lloyd,

Their were two reasons I went with a TT rather than a 5er. In retrospect, neither of them were applicable. You will need to know that I owned a Tundra, V8, Access Cab when I bought the TT.

We were told the Tundra's bed was too short to pull most 5ers and that slider hitches didn't really work well.

Most 5ers that we looked at with any room in them weighed too much for the Tundra. As it was, the Tundra was maxed out pulling the TT we ended up getting.

This was much of the motivation for getting the 2500HD when I did.

Sorry, as I'm sure this doesn't help you much if your trying to decide between a TT and 5er.

I'll only say this, if you have the truck to pull a nice big 5er, that's the way I would go. In fact, that IS how I'm heading. We getting ready to move to a 35 foot 5er in about 6 months.

Good luck and happy towing,