PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold

zark123
03-09-2004, 14:30
I have a 6.5 engine but don't know the exact year was 1999-2000- Was going to use my 6.2 intake manifold as was told it would fit,WRONG.the 6.2 bolts are on a angle,6.5 bolt are straight up.Any ideas? this motor is installed in a 1986 c-30-with a Banks turbo and exhaust. :confused: pbz2642@verizon.net

whatnot
03-09-2004, 17:15
Was the 6.5 engine out of a van?

john8662
03-09-2004, 18:54
The Hummer and Van 6.5's used a center mounted turbo system that had a different intake setup. If the studs to mount the intake are vertical then thats the engine you have. 6.5's found in trucks, suburbans, blazers, etc were just like the 6.2 in that the intake was bolted on with the slanted studs. To get everything to work, you will need to get a set of heads off another 6.5. You could possibly exchange the heads with one of the vendors on the page, like The Diesel Depot.

zark123
03-09-2004, 18:56
Originally posted by whatnot:
Was the 6.5 engine out of a van? Not excatly sure whether it came out of a van or small delivery truck,not out of a pick-up I know. pbz2642@verizon.net

zark123
03-10-2004, 04:14
Originally posted by Peter B. Zarkowski:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by whatnot:
Was the 6.5 engine out of a van? Not excatly sure whether it came out of a van or small delivery truck,not out of a pick-up I know. pbz2642@verizon.net </font>[/QUOTE]I Thank you guys for solving the problem. Next question,I think I have located a van intake,is it a possiblity that this can be used on my set up? I do have the block mount vacumm pump (old style)also along with the banks turbo kit.Really would like not to have to remove heads if at all possible.Life seems to be a great learning experience,not always in our favor! thanks again Pete pbz2642@verizon.net :mad: :(

john8662
03-10-2004, 07:46
To my knowledge, there isn't a 6.5 non-turbo manifold that you can adapt to use with the banks turbo that uses that type of block-heads. The intakes that the turbo 6.5's in the hummers and vans have uses the studs that are vertical into the heads. Here is what a van-hummer turbo 6.5 looks like, with the funky intake manifolds on it. You will probably have to swap out the heads, unless someone else on here has a lead on a Non-turbo version intake for the block with the vertical intake studs.

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/vanturbo/

These are just some pictures I have collected in looking at engines.

zark123
03-10-2004, 14:10
Originally posted by john8662:
To my knowledge, there isn't a 6.5 non-turbo manifold that you can adapt to use with the banks turbo that uses that type of block-heads. The intakes that the turbo 6.5's in the hummers and vans have uses the studs that are vertical into the heads. Here is what a van-hummer turbo 6.5 looks like, with the funky intake manifolds on it. You will probably have to swap out the heads, unless someone else on here has a lead on a Non-turbo version intake for the block with the vertical intake studs.

http://members.cox.net/acmdsl/vanturbo/

These are just some pictures I have collected in looking at engines. Thanks John!!! will check around to see if such an animal was built with out the turbo.Probably wiil start with Diesel Depot in the am. Thanks for the pictures that looks like a real nightmare.will let you know how I make out .If you find anything please feel free to e-mail me pbz2642@verizon.net Again many thanks.Pete