PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Long-Blocks

Professor
11-30-2002, 22:04
Anyone have an idea what a couple of Duramax long-blocks would be worth. Seems a truck was involved in an accident and a friend of mine bought 3 engines, two of which turned out to be DMaxes from an auction. The crates were damaged but no visible damage elsewhere. Looks like new long blocks with sheetmetal, balancer. No manifolds. We've never seen anything like this for sale.

hdmax(mike)
12-01-2002, 06:02
I am sure the long block version would bring much more money then our engines would. (Because GM puts short block Duramax 6.6L engines in our trucks)

I really don`t know how much they would be worth. You would have to prove they are in very good shape and run. Then you may get $2000-$2500 each. I know I wouldn`t give more then about $2000 (if it run) for one that has been in a totaled vehicle. If it wasn`t totaled, the engine most likely would not be for sell.

3176CATPOWER
12-01-2002, 08:22
Qbviously Mikee does not know the differance between a short block and a long block but still speculates as to a short block being the engine in the our trucks.Well Mike the short block has the same block as the long block.The short block has crank,pistons,rods and the other internal parts as does the long block,the long block also has the external parts such as heads, pans,manifolds and other parts.Short block,long block,just a way to say how far along a new or rebuilt engine is.

srubrn
12-01-2002, 08:38
Mike your thinking of short block versus big block. Gasser terms and I bet those engines if new are worth close to $10k. The injectors and pump are worth $6k alone.

Kennedy
12-01-2002, 09:06
Depends how long you a guy wants to wait. Unless we start failing engines at 100k plus, the only demand will be for transplsnting or hot rodding. The transplanting thing will be a VERY extensive and time consuming process as MP can undoubtedly attest.

NWDmax
12-01-2002, 09:37
Srubrn,what Catpower said is right.
Short blocks include basic internal engine parts, minus heads,external bolt on stuff etc.

Long blocks will have the heads,intake manifold,harmonic balancer,water pump etc.
In most cases won't include exhaust manifolds,carbs,fuel injection,turbo and so on.

Small blocks and big blocks refer to engine size and not dispacement.

I'm sure you knew all that stuff but I wanted to jump in anyway.

By the way hows that fuel test comming?

Blake tongue.gif

srubrn
12-01-2002, 10:54
nwdmax,

I did mean small not short. Didn't look at what I typed.

Fuel test soon.

NWDmax
12-01-2002, 11:10
Right on,Im looking forward to it!
Blake

More Power
12-01-2002, 14:57
A complete brand-new "drop-in" Duramax 6600 engine package is rumored to be worth about $12K. A drop-in package is a complete engine, with everything necessary to make it run except external wiring and computers.

Let me know if anyone can locate a complete engine compartment wiring harness assembly and electrical distribution center. I have the ECM and many other components, but the truck wiring is hard to come by.

I have located a couple complete take-out engine/trans packages that contain the wiring harnesses, but they won't separate the stuff I need from their packages. Seems there are more engine retrofit projects underway around the country than I imagined. I have corresponded with two of them so far (both H1 Hummers). BTW - No one has completed one of these projects yet that I'm aware of.

MP

Oongawah
12-01-2002, 17:31
One of those just went for about $5,200.00 on Ebay last week.