PDA

View Full Version : "wait to start" light on even after it's hot

dieselburb
08-18-2002, 20:37
Just got back from a trip to Laughlin in 100*+ heat. Truck ran superb on the way out, around town and towing the boat. Then this morning, truck had been sitting for 3 hours in 90*+ heat, came back to start her and the wait to start light stayed on about 3 seconds longer than normal. Then she started and surged like throttle had been applied, black smoke out the pipe and then back to idle, not as lopey as usual.
Thought it may have been a fluke, so didn't worry about it and drove back to the house. Truck was running at normal operating temp. and we shut her down to get ready to BBQ. Ooops, wife needed something from the store so we're off. Turn the key, light goes on and stays on too long, light goes out, same black smoke and surge when started.
I've got the cold lopey idle, but hasn't been a problem, so she goes in tomorrow for diagnosis and fix. Anyone else heard of this with the glow system?
Truck has 9000 miles, new oil and fuel fitler at 8300. Any ideas?

duberg
08-20-2002, 16:36
Something similar happened to me, that is, the Wait to Start light stayed on even when it was hot. It happened when I drove from San Diego to Mammoth and back, in the wintertime. I called OnStar and they were able to tell the the codes to tell the dealer about.

The truck seemed to run fine, but I took it to the dealer within a day or two. The dealer said that using the block heater may have somehow confused some sensor. They cleared the codes, without replacing anything, and it has never happened again.

I don't remember any black smoke or fast idle.

FWIW ...

andy911
08-21-2002, 08:58
A little off topic, but being new to diesels I'm curious.
I was checking out an '03 2500HD D/A yesterday at the local GMC lot. It was buried between a couple of other trucks so the 'car lot jockey' (17 year old kid) said he'd pull it forward for me. He got in and turned the key to start the engine without any pause for the Glow Plugs. I winced a bit, but the D/Max started right up, which suprised me. This was from cold and the ambient was about 75 deg.F.

My question is, does starting the engine like this cause any damage? Would it be more of a problem in much lower ambient temperatures? :confused:

Colorado Kid
08-21-2002, 09:58
I don't think the starting without waiting will hurt anything, after all, the glow plugs are only there to aid starting, and millions of diesels don't even have them. In my opinion, if it starts smoothly and quickly then no harm was done.

Dieselburb

It sure seems like some parts of your truck (the ECM) aren't getting the message that it's already warm. It's running the (too long) glow cycle and the extra fuel during cranking because it thinks it is cold. You've got a lot a warranty left, and now you're going to find out if your dealer knows anything about these trucks. Good Luck!