PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Tick?

afp
11-30-2002, 23:30
I changed the oil a couple days ago. I didn't notice the tick when my truck was new, but after I had the oil changed at 2200 miles (used Delo 400) the tick was very noticeable. Now, at 5800 miles, I changed the oil myself using Rotella. The difference between me and the lube places is I fill the filter with oil. No, I didn't spill any oil. The way the filter is made allows at least 3/4 of a quart in it without spilling--as long as you wipe off any oil on the top of the filter.

Billy14 suggested a while back that the tick may be caused in part by an empty oil filter during an oil change. So far, no tick. We'll see in a few hundres miles...

Blaine

mackin
12-01-2002, 06:06
afp

I too always prefill oil filter....Still ticks for the first hundred miles or so.....Really is nothing to be concerned with in my opinion.....

MAC

IndigoDually
12-01-2002, 08:48
I always fill filters and I have the tick. Had it since the first time I changed the oil. The tick is intermittant and the smell lingers for a thousand miles or so.

John

Tdawg
12-01-2002, 10:09
This is good to know I was gonna post about this new oil smell after my fist oil change but it must be normal,,I also hear the tick but it's not very consistant...

rtquig
12-01-2002, 16:08
I have 13,000 miles on my D/A and change the oil at 3000, haven't heard a tick yet. I haven't filled the filter with oil at the change, but what the heck, I give it a shot next time around. Don't smell the oil, but ever since I have changed out the rear at 5000 miles I still smell the diff. oil every once in a while.

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: rtquig ]</p>

Oongawah
12-01-2002, 17:12
26K, 5 changes all dry Baldwin filter except for the seal, Delo 400, never a tick(it'll show tomorrow now that I've said something). My filter dealer said there was a problem with some of the filters blowing, but that the problem has been since resolved. I wonder if this is what's happening. Has anyone ever just changed the filter when that tick comes up? Just a thought, Chuck.

Rebel_Horseman
12-02-2002, 08:53
Tick and a smell? Maybe that is what I'm experiencing. I hear a slight ticking with the truck sitting at idle. Not lound and only audible outside the truck. Also, there is a "weird" smell sometimes. Kinda like a old egg, or bad oil, or something. Wierd. I'd like to know what this is too.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

hoot
12-02-2002, 09:25
I think you'll get used to the smell. It's what diesel smells like when it's effeciently burned. Older diesels you smelled unburnt fuel like the big city buses. These engines burn the fuel so completely , all you have left is the wierd smell probably from sulfer in the fuel.

Kent Tuttle
12-02-2002, 09:28
The tick I use to get when changing oil has not appeared with the last two oil changes, 17 and 22K. It has been on Amsoil 15W-40 since 6K.

Jomar
12-02-2002, 10:16
Your dealer can give you a bulletin from the factory explaining the ticking noise and that it is nothing to worry about. I have a copy in my truck which is at the body shop. That yellow post just jumped right out and smacked the side of my truck!!!!! OUCH.

Jomar

NoMo
12-02-2002, 10:36
The "tick" subsided greatly when I changed the oil for the first time at 1500 miles. Used Rotella and partially filled the oil filter before installing.

However, after a few hundred miles, the tick was back as loud as ever. My '03 has it bad. Not only can you hear it in the cab, but you can hear it over 20ft away!

BigLakeDMAX
12-02-2002, 12:35
The "smell" most of us have noticed is a hot oil smell coming from the crankcase vent - its open to the atmosphere and terminates alongside the harmonic balancer on the passenger side bottom of the engine. Seems to be most pronounced for the first few hundred miles and some oils may be worse than others. I actually took my truck in to the dealer for a day to have them check for an oil or exhaust leak, then posted the question on this sight and received several responses. There have been other threads on this and it's believed to be additives from the new oil that make the smell.

And, as Hoot mentioned, the exhaust on these trucks does smell different - actually a stronger smell than my 97 6.5l. If you idle facing downwind, the exhaust smell gets blown forward and into your vents.

I'm running Shell Rotella T Synthetic and the smell is less than with dino Rotella T (I know - Rotella synthetic is not a true synthetic, but it's what they call it). If you crawl under the truck by the right front corner while it's idling, with the parking brake set and wheels chocked of course, you'll quickly be able to confirm the vent as the source - very strong! The vent actually blows some oil vapor out which collects on anything in its path - wire looms, etc.

I drive about 35 miles highway each way to work and the smell sticks around quite awhile (1000 miles or so). I also found it dissapears quite quickly if I take a good highway trip of a couple hundred miles or so. Either that, or I've just gotten used to it. In fact, I almost miss it when its gone ;)

I picked up the tick as well, immediately after my first oil change. It's most pronounced by the driver's wheel well but is a loud upper engine sound when the hood is open at an idle. I'll have to try pre-filling my oil filter next time. Maybe it will help the truck develop oil pressure faster than 5 seconds...

Don

MaxRock
12-02-2002, 14:41
One interesting note that I noticed on my last oil change. On previous oil changes, using Delo 400 and the Champion filter, I had the tick and oil smell for a couple of hundred miles. This last oil change I switched to Delvac 1300 and the Champion oil filter...no tick or smell! I know a sample size of one is not statistically sound, but it is something!

FWIW!!!

MaxRock

afp
12-02-2002, 21:29
So I guess there still isn't any consensus as to how to get rid of the tick. Oh well, mine is quiet for now.

Blaine

stutzismydog
12-02-2002, 23:05
MaxRock~
I am just curious ...why did you change from Delo 400 to Delvac 1300 ?? I have been looking at oil specs. trying to decide just what oil to use and I was impressed by the specs. on the Delo 400 can and the price for 6 gallons is only $33.00 :D

Oongawah
12-02-2002, 23:34
Ah Jomar!

What a terrible feeling. I did that to my last truck at the fairgrounds. Such a sickening sound too. I crunched the right rear CC door and right into the bed(1 month old too). They did an awesome job on the repair though. Hope they do on yours too. Take care, Chuck.

AKDmax
12-03-2002, 00:52
Here's a thought. Next time you change your oil, take a look at the holes in the filter adapter. Has any tried to line up the holes in the filter with the adapter? I don't know if would help, but it would make the oil flow straight into the filter. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MaxRock
12-03-2002, 10:37
stutzismydog,

No particular reason, just doing some investigation work. When I initially bought the truck, I wanted to run Delvac 1200 based on recommendations on this site (1200 was suppose to be the factory fill). I was unable to find the 1200, but little did I know at the time, Mobil was phasing out 1200 and reformulated the 1300 to take its place.

I decided to run Delo because my dealer uses Delo when they perform oil changes. Would be kinda hard for them to refuse service for an oil failure related problem if I was using the same oil they were.

So to make a short story long, no particular reason (oh yeah, Wally World didn't have any Delo and I was leaving the next day for a 1,000 mile trip).

MaxRock