PDA

View Full Version : Question for mdrag

TLA
12-01-2002, 09:07
I find I need a scanner, as my '97 has some problems. I am leaning toward the Autotap, and was wondering if yours is working on the 6.6 as you had hoped. It would be nice to have one that worked well on both, and the Tech 2 is a bit rich for me right now.
Thanks, Tom

mdrag
12-01-2002, 11:36
TLA,

I've found AutoTap works as advertised - just understand that it will not do as much as Tech2. IMHO, it is a good 'inexpensive' scanner - inexpensive relative to the cost of a Tech2. AutoTap offered a 30 day money back guarantee when I bought mine.

When I compared notes with other forum members on the earlier version of AutoTap - there were less parameters available when scanning a 3500 versus a 2500HD. There are more parameters in version 2 when scanning a 3500. I don't have experience with the other inexpensive scan tools - such as AutoXray etc., so I don't know how each would compare. Good luck.

TLA
12-01-2002, 12:46
Thank you!! Autotap is less than Auto Xray, and seems to do more. I like the computer screen for Autotap, so that seems a good way to go (unless someone has a Tech 2 for cheap).

Toddster
12-01-2002, 16:51
So what does a Tech 2 go for $$ ?

mackin
12-01-2002, 17:06
TLA, Mdrag, whomever else wants to leep in.....

Lets get the 'SKINNY" on these scanners again......

Auto Tap verses Auto xray......OR????

If you go here =>http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/obd_ii.html

Gives you a lot of info,which is one of the top of the line testing instruments not big but huge $$$$......I can't even find a price on one, so it has to have a big sticker shock,that must come with life support,Like Bluestreak equipment and Snap-on.....

What does "auto tap" do that "auto xray" doesn't??? Besides cost.... It appears that they both do the 7 diagnostic tests to be OBD II capable.....Are they both diesel compatable????

When you drive with either connected and acheive what diesel pyrameters???

Auto xray =>http://64.78.43.239/

For a good price check out Auto xray =>http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/autxrayezobs.html <=Cheap....

I'm leaning to this one unless you guys can change my mind....TLA what kind off info do you have on the Auto Tap????

MAC

[ 12-01-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackin
12-01-2002, 17:10
Toddster

They are at least 2 bills over the above two mentioned.....

MAC :eek:

TLA
12-01-2002, 18:36
All I have is off the two web sites (autoxray.com and autotap.com). Autotap handles a huge number of enhanced parameters (autoxray may as well), although not all may be available for a particular vehicle. Autoxray has a hand held scanner, while autotap requires a PC or Palm. You need Windows 95 and up, and if you want to be portable, you need a laptop. That distorts the price issue, if like me, you need a newer laptop. Of course, the $350 one will do the job just fine, but the $850 one is a lot neater. Or, I could just use my desktop one for now. My immediate problem is my '97 7.4, which has a really weird miss, but it would be foolish to not plan ahead.
I think I have a bit more homework on this one - some phone call seem the next step.
Oh, a Tech 2 seems to run $2500 + and you need the software. I don't really plan to go back into the auto repair business, thank you.

Geerrhead
12-01-2002, 20:11
I have seen a few problems with TBI gaskets on the 7.4. Try spraying carb clean around the base of the TBI unit. Listen for a change in RPM. If it changes, you know the gasket is leaking. ;)

TLA
12-11-2002, 18:04
I finally did it - broke down and got a used notebook off the net and bought Autotap. Tried it on my '97 today, and it sure provides a bunch of information (now to figure out how to use it). Showed the '97 has EGR problems (I was wondering about that, so I looked at it first). I'll have to try it on the 6.6.
Anyway, it seems like a really good tool.
Tom

SoCalDMAX
12-11-2002, 18:16
TLA,

Good to hear you bought a USED laptop. I bought a new HP laptop, dazzled with all of it's new features. Problem is it has no SERIAL ports (but it has firewire, in case I really need to edit a digital video on the road??)

So I bought a serial to USB adapter. Now my problem is, the USB port uses the higher numbered IRQs and the mapping software, OBD II software, etc, are all looking at IRQ 3 and 4, the normal serial ports....sigh. Well, the DVD movies sure look nice on it... ;)

The one feature that really has me interested in the PC interface OBD II units is the ability to monitor and log data on the fly, while driving. Then when the intermittent glitch occurs, you can sift thru the plots and see where the abnormality lies.

Good luck with your new tool. BTW, remember when a distributor wrench was considered a trick tool? ;)

Regards, Steve

mackin
12-11-2002, 19:47
TLA

I to have been shopping for a lap top seems Dell gives a pretty good deal on refurbished units.....One with DVD just might be on the way......

On the autotap what did you have to give for it and where?? As the e-mail I received from Autoxray wasn't to inviting....

=&gt;Diesel powered vehicles follow different laws and guide lines of the EPA and are exempt from certain OBDII modes, giving the Manufactures an open ticket for the, ECM's operation regarding Communications and available data. This makes it difficult for most Scan tools to support Diesel Powered vehicles in the manner we would like. AutoXray continues to support as many vehicles as possible and our Engineers and support staff are constantly researching the latest issues and technology to offer you the best product we can at an affordable cost to the consumer. Our Scanners do support some diesel applications although data may be very limited. I can not be specific on which diesel vehicles our scanner may or may not support at this time.
==========================================

See what I mean????
I was deep in the hunt when I got hurt and now I'm behind....Working on tunes right now,but if you would let me know..If you would like it off the page drop me an email....

Thanks

MAC

mackin
12-14-2002, 20:22
No prices on the Auto Tap ????
Hows $289.95 with windows program,cables and hard case sound??

MAC

On edit : not a good price as they sell direct for that ..... :(

[ 12-14-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

chipper
12-14-2002, 21:22
mackin,
I have the Auto Xray.
It does not work on the D/Max.I called them a couple of months ago & was told it would be "some time" before they had a program for D/Max.

mackin
12-14-2002, 22:11
chipper

I kind of figured that by the E-mail I received as they really had no interest in selling me one...I'm leaning to the Auto Tap...Thanks for the info on the time frame....

MAC

mdrag
12-15-2002, 00:57
mackin,

I purchased AutoTap directly from them @ www.autotap.com

I haven't run across it anywhere else.

mdrag

mackin
12-15-2002, 07:03
Mdrag

I've seen at a few different (web) places but there is no sence in straying away from direct for a ten dollar or less savings.....Thanks for the info...

MAC

TLA
12-15-2002, 08:12
Steve - I bought a used HP Omnibook 500 - 2 year warranty - docking station - all the bellsa nd whistles. Really works well, but doesn't have a lot of software, as it was on a network.
I paid the 284 for the autotap. So far, I haven't used it on the 6.6, but I really like the ability to creat a configuration of items you want to monitor, and the be able to log them for playback later. Most things that go wrong don't seem to do so when you are watching. Also, as update become available, they can be downloaded. I'll keep everyone posted as I go along.
And yes, I remember when a distributor wrench was a really trick tool - I still have it. I even have my first Craftsman tools that I got when I was 13, which is way longer ago than I would care to admit.
Tom

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: TLA ]</p>