PDA

View Full Version : Juice Update 3.8

Dave_WB3FYV
08-19-2002, 17:55
Just got off the phone with Brice at Edge Products. I called to ask for help with my Juice box, engine still wants to stall - even after upgrading from 3.5 to 3.6. He tells me that Version 3.8 came out Friday to address the '03 trucks, suggested I send mine back again for another free update (gotta love that!) Mine goes in the mail as soon as I get to the Post Office.

Also, I had changed the fuel filter Saturday morning hoping that would solve the stalling problem, but no. Took the truck in for an oil change and casually asked the service manager to look at the computer to see if there were any latent codes from the past stalling episode. He didn't find any but indicated GM was aware of a few trucks that stall for no apparent reason and they were working on a fix. Seemed to think it would be a hardware replacement rather than a computer upgrade. I seem to recall a few on the sig that got new fuel injection pumps/regulators due to extreme idle surge. It might be something like that...

more to follow...

PEANUTGRWR
08-19-2002, 19:16
DID HE ELABORATE MUCH ON WHAT ALL THE NEW UPDATE WOULD HELP/ENHANCE OR HURT???? SOME DONT LIKE SMOKE BUT I DO smile.gif DONT WANT EM TO TAKE THE SMOKE OUT OF THE DA BOX :cool:

motovet
08-19-2002, 19:21
3.8 to address the 03' trucks? Did they find a way to reprogram the looks of that front end? Seriously, what differences do the 03's have and what if any improvements would we see for our trucks. I still feel like my 3.6 has been detuned compared to my original 3.0 although it is MUCH smoother.

Kennedy
08-19-2002, 19:49
I've been struggling to recover after losing my PC (and other things) to lightning.

V3.8 Beta is just that a Beta program. The cure for fishbite is in there, and from what I understand, the stalling cure is yet to be added.

So, we ran one on JJ's 6 speed truck and NO fishbite all the way down to 1000 RPM. It did stall, but before, the fishbite was terrible.

More news at 11...

Kennedy
08-20-2002, 10:29
OK here's the skinny:

The '03 trucks have a SLIGHTLY different wiring pinout requiring a simple hardware (wiring) change. ALL new boxes shipped from Edge at level 4.0R (we'll get to that later) have this update performed. Edge will (NO charge) update the hardware and calibration on any existing box. Updating the calibration does NOT make it '03 compatible. Please be certain the box is '03 compatible BEFORE trying to run on an '03 truck.

Firmware: Slight change from v1.0 to v1.1. This allows our "Juicer" to "see" the current operating calibration level installed on the box.

Calibration: 4.0R covers these issues:

1) New timing crossover

2) Fixed Fishbite

3) Revised std. timing advance

I have not run this level yet, but as mentioned before, 3.8 had the fishbite "licked" as did another interim level that I have run. The small incidence of stalling should also be resolved!

This information is what I have been given by Edge. I am not at liberty to discuss any details.

GMC D-Max
08-21-2002, 11:51
I'd have to agree with Motovet. I went from ver3.0 to ver3.6, and even though it's smoother, it's lacking the punch of the earlier software. I didn't mind the de-powering before shifts too much, and I don't care about the black smoke, I just want more power (without the fishbite)! John, please give us a full "driving impression" when you get a chance!

Kennedy
08-21-2002, 18:28
Will do, but then again my truck should have a little more "huff" the next time I drive it...

3TV
08-21-2002, 19:34
I'm going to have a complete 4" Dynomax exhaust and a version 4.0R Edge Juice installed on my '03 Duramax this Friday. Edge Products are already shipping the '03 compatible "juicers", which have all the above listed upgrades.

I can't wait to try out the new power :cool: :D :eek: tongue.gif

3TV

GMC D-Max
08-22-2002, 09:22
"Will do, but then again my truck should have a little more "huff" the next time I drive it..."

Sounds like maybe a turbo upgrade, hmmm?

C'mon John, give us the goods!!

Kennedy
08-22-2002, 17:14
Well, half of it is out anyhow :eek:

Going back together tonight/tomorrow...

opiekelly
08-23-2002, 09:45
I just got back my box which was 3.2c and is now 4.0. 4.0 is not fun!!! With 3.2 the truck would pull hard of the line. The truck feels like a stock truck off the line. The only reason I got the update was fishbite.

mackin
08-23-2002, 10:58
opiekelly,

The best way to cure this is to use Tow Haul........Aggressive constant firm shifts........Puts the FUN back in your launches.....Give it a shot.......

MAC :D

afp
08-23-2002, 23:41
opie,

Do you think your truck "deprogrammed" itself, and a few full-throttle passes will "re-learn it?"

Blaine

Allison Jettester
08-24-2002, 06:37
I still have 3.0. No smoke, very little fishbite and only on hills at around 65 and adding slight pedal to maintain speed. Great off the line. Until Edge puts that back in, I'm not going to upgrade.

Joe

3TV
08-24-2002, 11:36
Opie,
I have a test for you to run. Turn on your trucks ignition, but do not start the truck. Then put the transmission gear selector in reverse, and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor three times. That will turn your Edge Juice off. Take your truck for a drive that way to see what a true stock Duramax feels like once again.

Then come home and turn on your trucks ignition again, without starting the truck, and put your gear selector in drive, and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor three times again. After that you can take your truck for another drive to see how the Edge Juice performs on level 4.

Once you have done that you can tell us whether or not your truck with a 4.0 Juice drives like a stock truck, or not. If it does, your Juice is not working.

The reason I say this is because I just put an Edge Juice (version 4.0) on my '03 Duramax yesterday, and lets just say that it does NOT feel like a stock truck anymore :D . I haven't driven a truck with a 3.0 or 3.2 Juice in it, but this truck with a 4.0 Juice in it is very impressive to me. I drag raced a Ford Powerstroke on the way home from todays test drive. He was mighty proud of that Powerstroke of his, because he had a huge windshield decal that went across his entire upper windshield, with the word "POWERSTROKE" on it. How do I know it said Powerstroke on his windshield? Because I could see his windshield in my rearview mirror, getting rapidly smaller, and smaller, and smaller. I blew him away so bad it wasn't even a contest, hehehe. Gotta love this juiced DMAX!

3TV

imported_
08-24-2002, 13:03
I have one of the original 30 modules that were released by edge...... God himself will not pry this version out of my truch..... hits hard off the line .... a little smoke.... who cares.... a teensy bit of fishbite.... so what.... small price to pay for this level of performance.... i do not think i will upgrade the version number of this module until one of 2 things happen
1: top speed limiter removed
2: top speed limiter removed and more power is added
Just my opinion though

opiekelly
08-25-2002, 16:03
Well when I had 3.2c and punched it it would pour out smoke and chirp the tires between 1st and 2nd and occassionally between 2nd and 3rd. FYI I have the locker rear end. That fun fealing of your body being pushed back in the seat is gone. I pulled the unit out this weekend and don't see much difference until you hit 25mph. Also rollon torque is lacking IMO. Used to be fun to be going 30mph and punch it and watch the speedo hit 55 in no time. I punch it now and it feels like stock(wait for turbo to spool up). I would like to see someone take a 4.0 box and a 3.2 box and run 1/8th or 1/4th mile runs to prove or disprove the seat of the pants observation. I can't imagine the times being the same. I have not put a lot of miles on the truck with 4.0, maybe 30 or so. I will see how performance is after a tank of fuel.

mackin
08-25-2002, 16:15
opiekelly,

I hear ya but, have you tried tow haul? I find it puts It little more snap back in, plus you may get a downshift chirp now and again ......I think the reason some may have been taken off down low,but still there a little later, is to preserve yours and our trannys.....It does catch up fast so I don't you would see a difference in 1/8 or 1/4 mile times......I for one was a skeptic at first but T/h does it for me when I'm out hourseing around, all right, it's everyday.....
:rolleyes:

MAC :D

[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

opiekelly
08-25-2002, 16:19
I give the T/H a shot tomorrow.