PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Oil?

odoh
08-20-2002, 11:00
FWIW ~ This qualifys as heresay at the moment as I got it secondhand from my neighbor who is having a head replacement on his 01 D/A

He claims the tech told him that GM has instructed them to changeout the oil in every 03 that comes in because of incorrect oil fill from the factory resulting in premature low-end failure. So I would think that the dealers are catching them before selling to the public.

However, for those that are not sure, it may be prudent to take a couple of samples prior to their first oil change. One to have analyised and another for posterity. Hope someone can validate this as true/false. ~ odoh

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
08-20-2002, 11:07
I was planning on changing myoil at 500 miles anyway

Maverick
08-20-2002, 12:09
Odoh,
Tell me more about your neighbors head replacement please.

odoh
08-20-2002, 13:55
I believe I reported before in a thread 'Head failure?'

Basically, it started popping and he had it towed to the local GMC dealer (yes ~ cross warranty). First thot injectors but found valve train standoff bolt (2) broken, broken valve, damaged valve and a crack in the head ~ presumably due to the valve train failure. Put it back together but had a coolent leak somewhere that they've been chasing. Anyway they had called to come pick it up today, so I should hear more shortly. No other details on the leak. All this took 6wks ~ because of unavailability of parts. ~ odoh