PDA

View Full Version : dual by-pass oil fitration connected to oil cooler lines

dhherrmann
03-09-2004, 15:58
Does anyone know if it is feasable to connect a dual by-pass oil fitration device to the oil cooler lines? (since there is a set of lines there anyway and we have a guy that both makes aftermarket oil cooler lines and sells amsoil by-pass filtration products) and if so, is it better to filter before or after the cooler?

dhherrmann
03-10-2004, 08:13
I don't mean to be a troublemaker, but why not? seems to be perfectly logical.... to me.

dieseldummy
03-10-2004, 08:21
I don't see what would be wrong with it.You would still have to do something about the factory filter anyways though, so it would kind of be point less. Just my thoughts.
Justin

G. Gearloose
03-10-2004, 08:30
The dual by-pass filter is a low-flow device. Why would you want to restrict flow to the cooler, and thus, engine?

Your 'buy a new engine' dash light will come on and stay on.

dhherrmann
03-10-2004, 08:32
If you took a look on how a dual by-pass oil filtration system worked and directly attached it into the engine oil cooler lines you would not have to do anything with the original oil filter other than change it under the usual maintenance specifications.

dhherrmann
03-10-2004, 08:36
The single by-pass filtration device is a low flow, but not the dual.

tom.mcinerney
03-10-2004, 18:48
Suppose it might work OK if maintain the oem filter on block too. But bear in mind that the oem oil lines occassionally fail at the block quick-connect, and regularly leak at hose junctions.

JohnC
03-11-2004, 10:59
Oil doesn't flow to the cooler when the oil is not hot. Any filter in that path would be of limited value.

Marty Lau
03-11-2004, 13:52
I had the same idea , but I thought of puting a TEE in the line conection so you would still get full flow to the cooler. Just a thought. ;)