PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Turbo Down Pipe

Diesel Freak
12-02-2002, 11:03
Does anybody make a replacement for the turbo downpipe? How about different exhaust manifolds or intermediate pipes leading to the turbo? I would think we could gain a pretty substantial reduction in EGT's if these were replaced.

CPMac632
12-02-2002, 16:03
I havn't been able to find either anywhere so Im in the process of building my own. I agree it should really lower egt but I'm not done yet.

VA_Dmax
12-02-2002, 16:12
You might want to check banks diesel. I think in this exhaust brake kit (attached link) they replace that section of exhaust. If Im wrong, I apologize. Pretty new at this stuff.

http://www.banksdiesel.com/System.cfm?appid=AC08&sysid=SC14

LA DMAX
12-02-2002, 23:32
Diesel Freak, Kennedy did some modifications to his manifold(not sure where). Appearantly there was a section of the manifold that had an indentation of some kind and he had it removed then he had the inside of the manifold ceramic coated. That ceramic coating is the "ish" these days. Contact him about it if ya want. Hope it helps.
Later

LA DMAX

Diesel Freak
12-03-2002, 00:03
CP, Let me know how it turns out and how much hassle it was to build, if ya would, thanks.

VA, I just looked at that, it sure looks like Banks is replacing it. I'm gonna give em a call and see. I had some bad experiences with Banks in my Cummins days, but what the heck, I'll give em another shot.

LA, I talked to John about that, he wasn't sure on the improvement, but we both agree it couldn't hurt. I wonder how much of an improvement ceramic coating really gives? Probably another one of those "sure couldn't hurt"

Jerry

Kennedy
12-03-2002, 00:04
I won't say that the thought of a larger turbo outlet pipe hasn't crossed my mind, but I've gotten along pretty well without it so far.

On a related note, did you know that the ONLY stainless pipes in the Dmax exhaust system are the turbo feed pipes and the turbine outlet pipe? :eek:

While you are under there looking for the missing stainless pipes, see if you can find the platinum spark plugs! :rolleyes:

I've seen a lot of people hung up on the notion of replacing their factory "stainless" pipe with "inferior" aluminized mild steel, when in fact the OE system is not really stainless at all. The gasoline engines are SS through the cats and then go to an aluminized muffler/tailpipe...

hoot
12-03-2002, 04:26
John,

I guess you don't consider my trucks 409 stainless exhaust, stainless?

409 is listed as stainless steel.

You knew someone would call you on that one. tongue.gif

TLA
12-03-2002, 08:02
I have a Banks Brake, and it does not replace the down pipe. Rather, it adapts the brake to the appropriate pipe diameter (3 1/2 or 4).
To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a replacement turbo outlet pipe. Space limitations are a real problem. If I remember correctly, the ideal torbo outlet is a 7 degree cone, so our outlet pipe diameter and shape should have little adverse effect

Kennedy
12-03-2002, 08:41
Hoot,

Unless someone came out with a special aluminized 409ss, ALL factory Dmax systems are aluminized mild steel. I was looking at the scrap systems that I have laying around, and you can see the galvanizing or aluminizing on all of them.

Like I stated, if you want to see where the SS exhaust is (spec'd on the window sticker just above platinum spark plugs :rolleyes: ) look at the pipe out of the turbo and you'll see it is kinda bronze looking. Look at a gasser system, and you'll see it is kinda bronze looking up to the muffler and tailpipe which become aluminized. Maybe someone will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Diesel Freak
12-03-2002, 08:47
TLA, I'm a little confused, the 18", or so, long piece of pipe they show in their picture goes where then? The brake bolts directly to the backside of the turbo, is that right? Thanks much for the replys!

TLA
12-03-2002, 10:17
DF - Not any room behind the turbo. Brake bolts to 4 bolt exhaust flange near trans cross member (stock system) or for the 4" you have to make some cuts and install adapters. It is a real straight foreword install - actually easier than if it bolted to turbo. I think the whole thing took a big 2 hours.

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: TLA ]</p>

George Gozelski
12-03-2002, 14:10
I think someone is going to have to come up with a different turbo mounting system, like moving the turbo slightly towards the front of the truck with a slight rotation before we can come up with a "TRUE" downpipe of any significance! There are several companies selling "Duramax downpipes", but when questioned, they are all calling their downpipes what actually hooks onto the v-band clamp! These are usually "non diesel" people and don't know the difference!

Kennedy
12-03-2002, 14:15
George,

I quit arguing the head pipe/down pipe thing a long time ago! If asked, I just state there is every inch as much pipe in my system as any.

I also put up a PDF drawing showing what is in the system.