PDA

View Full Version : Got Loppy Idle Real Bad!

EIS01
03-07-2003, 09:51
My truck just reached 35,600 miles and has loppy idle real bad. It just started the other day lopping real bad, 100 rpms, you can see it on the tac. Ever since I got the truck it would do it at certain temps. but about a year ago they reflashed the computer and it corrected it for the most part. The problem I am now having is very severe. It does it all the time, cold or hot and even when I idle it up to 1000 rpms. It loops real hard and is very discouraging. I have driven this truck for over two years and know what the loppy idle is like, but this is something I cannot live with. I thought maybe it was the weather, but nothing has changed much in the weather from the rest of the winter. Any Ideas? Should I take it to the dealer and have them tell me to live with it :eek: ? Or my worst fear is that the fuel pump is going bad...I need this fixed under warrenty. Any ideas or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Kevin

hoot
03-07-2003, 10:02
If you have less than 100,000 miles it will get fixed under warranty.

Get the new pump. No big deal just see if you can come up with a reputable dealer service dept.

Mine has 46,000 on it and is starting to show signs of a "romp".

[ 03-07-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

a64pilot
03-07-2003, 10:07
Definately take it to the dealer! Don't assume them to be idiots they may not be, unless you have previous knowledge of this.
Anyway I believe that our older trucks have a rail pressure control valve that is subject to corrosion and will cause oscillating fuel pressure. The idle instability I believe may be due to the fuel pressure oscillations and I think that the tech II can read fuel pressure.
Just don't tell them you read it on the internet, in there defense there is a lot of bogus info on the net.

armalite
03-07-2003, 11:36
Get the new pump. I did, and even when my truck is cold it idles really well. If they tell you its normal, get a second opinion. If that doesn't work, call GM and open up a case # with them.

Black Dog
03-07-2003, 12:02
Take it in. If it is as bad as what you describe they will install a new pump - no problems, no charge.

EIS01
03-07-2003, 12:32
Thanks for the fast replies. I will take it in and have them look at it. The dealer has been pretty good to me so far, I figured they would tell me it is normal and not want to dig into it. My steering issue is that way, it squeaks pretty loud sometimes when I turn the steering wheel, but the dealership says that they cannot duplicate the problem when they have it in for service. It happens a lot more when I am towing. From this experience, I worried that they would be afraid to deal with this as long as the truck still ran. The truck runs, but is real embarrassing when I have other people around it. It was surging this morning, even when backing my trailer up a hill. That never happened before. Also, I was unaware that my warranty would fix that after 36,000 miles. I can quit worrying about it then. I thought it was my luck to have a major failure 300 miles before my warranty runs out. Thanks again, and keep the good advice coming! Kevin

imported_
03-07-2003, 21:06
I took my 01 in for the lope problem and was told
if the lope varied 100 RPM or less they wouldn't
do anything and were not to check any further.
The steering box was also leaking,but I think
they got it fixed.