PDA

View Full Version : Need more Power??

JOEDURAMAXIMIZER
08-22-2002, 02:02
The Duramaximizer was designed for smoke free reliable power, while also allowing for towing at full max position without raising exhaust temps above safe limits. Although gauges are recommended, they are not required with the Duramaximizer.
For additional power we recommend gauges for our 112HP PCM towing program or 168HP reprogrammed full race PCM both feature top speed limiter delete and 3600RPM revlimiter. We are currently testing a third program, a 4000 RPM rev limiting race only option ,. We can also program in larger tire sizes (no limit to the size) to correct speedo readings. All of these mods are virtually smoke free, except the 168HP full race program, and are compatible with the Duramaximizer for additional power. These are by far the most powerful DURAMAX plug and play power options available today. All without the need to change injectors!!

For more information on these advanced power products, you can contact us at.
Pacific Performance Engineering
(714)-985-4825 or sales@pacificp.com

pullinpower
08-22-2002, 05:57
Man that sounds great,no more 95ish on the speedo :D sounds like what im looking for in the 168hp version. How much torque are these reprogramed pcm's seeing on the dyno? Do I have to send my pcm in or does it come in a handheld programmer?

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

SoCalDieselNewbie
08-22-2002, 12:16
Pullin,

I just checked out the site, it seems as if they are selling PCMs that have been reprogrammed.

I'll let you know later cuz curiousity has gotten the better of the Newbie... I take the long drive over to their shop in Fullerton (less than 5 miles) and see what is up.

SoCalDMAX
08-22-2002, 12:49
Sounds interesting... welcome aboard, "Joe"!

I went over to your website, no tech data yet. I'd be interested to read more about it when you get the info up on the website.

Regards, Steve

pullinpower
08-22-2002, 13:11
I should be able to give some results just here pretty quick ;) great bunch of guys at pacific. gotta love that no speed limiter option. Mackin looks like the minivans wont be passing me :D :D tongue.gif

SoCalDieselNewbie
08-22-2002, 14:42
Pullin,

I stopped by during my lunch hour and Joe did seem like a nice guy.

The main store front is a mobile audio and video.. so I walk in and a kid at the counter asks if I need any help... I ask if they is anybody around that knows about the Diesel Performance stuff & the reprogrammed PCMs.

To my surprise, the kid turned out to be a rather knowledgible diesel gear head. Joe joined us out in the 'shop area' and really started asking questions about my primary and secondary uses for my truck.

Anyway, you gotta love a shop that has a Mustang Dyno and building a sleeper (big cubes + fuel injection) to take Ricer money.

SoCalDMAX
08-22-2002, 15:39
So what kind of technical info did you discover on your trip there? I'm curious, it sounds pretty good.

Regards, Steve

mackin
08-22-2002, 15:39
Come'on guys let me know does it spin the tranny to oblivion? I got to know .......Not that I got another 8,950 dimes to drop..... :eek:

For sale one slightly used JUICE BOX......Looks and works as good or better then the new ones.......

MAC :D :D

[ 08-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GMC D-Max
08-22-2002, 15:50
Is the price for a PCM exchange, or is it a new, reprogrammed PCM for $895? It'd be nice to keep my stock PCM around for those occasional trips to the dealer for service ;)

turbolag
08-22-2002, 16:36
Mackin,
How much for the slightly used juice? version?

SoCalDieselNewbie
08-22-2002, 17:09
SOCALDMAX & Mackin & GMC D-Max,

Technical info... hmmm...

1) A stock truck with a 4" exhaust dyno less ponies but slightly alters the powerband.

2) 2002 airboxes are excellant. no improvement in Dyno #s regardless of the air system used... or even without an air system.

3) The Duramaximizer increases rail pressure from like 22,000 psi to 24,000 psi. The truck will bleed off pressure in the rail at like 28,000 back into the tank. It also elongates the injector pulse.

4) They don't recommend the 170 hp PCM program for heavy towing.

5) Depending on the tranny, it is recommended to either feather it through the 4th to 5th shift or turn down the Maximizer some.

6) Since you are up at the edge of the Allison's 'factory specs', some tranny will have ZERO slippage while others might experience some.

7) They claim that weakness of the Allison is not cured with valve bodies & etc. Valve bodies just increase pressure and will cause other parts to fail. The problem is the clutch packs aren't built to withstand the torque. Once the someone fixes that issue, the D-Max will really be able to come out and play.

8) The Duramaximizer & PCM chip didn't smoke or ping like the Edge box. There was a huge black spot on the wall of the shop from dyno running a Juice box.

9) the PCM programming they offer is just for that... the programming. They will reprogram your own chip. Give you a chip and core yours. Or you can go buy a new PCM from GM (~$800).

10) No GM dealer can tell that the PCM has had the programming altered so they recommend using your original PCM. Performance might tip it off though. smile.gif

11) They will flash the PCM with all the current fixes prior to re installing it into the truck.

12) their SS exhausts are damn nice. Zero resonance in cab.

13) Rev limiter can be raised to 3600 or 4000

14) Removed Speed Limiter

15) Will recalibrate speedo to ANY size tire.

16) didn't see any need to plug the waste gates

17) once the allison tranny issues get ironed out, you see some real big boy Dmaxs with Garrett Turbos, injectors, boxes, PCM & etc.

The fact that I am an Electrical Engineer... that has done IC design, programming & software development... and he could answer my questions... impressed me.

Guy knows the products he is selling.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]</p>

Kennedy
08-22-2002, 17:23
This should prove interesting in MT on September 7th! Talked with Joe today, and will see what shakes out. Guess I'll have to get ahold of another 2002 ECM.

The 28,000psi bleed off is seldom hit, BUT it is the only area that I reinforced after getting fuel in my oil and it has not come back since.

I've run the Juice on a dyno without an exhaust hose, and it really does not smoke much at all.

FWIW, the guys at Edge feel VERY strongly about "throwing stones" in public. This sets a very good example...

SoCalDMAX
08-22-2002, 19:18
SCDN,

Thanks for the tech update. It would sure save them a lot of explaining if they had some info on their site. Then they could answer more in depth questions, but I guess they're working on it.

JK brought up an interesting point. Nothing makes me suspicious faster than a mfr spreading FUD about a competitors' product. I do like the Maximizer, it does work well, but it doesn't look good to disparage the competition, especially when I have only experienced 1 of the symptoms mentioned. (And I assure you, I don't lead a charmed life by any stretch ;) )

Anyways, thanks for the info, I'm looking fwd to seeing how it does towing, racing and on the dyno!

Regards, Steve

mackin
08-22-2002, 19:46
JOEDURAMAXIMIZER,SoCalDieselNewbie,

So as I understand it, you run the PCM reflash WITH the duramaximiser? The PCM is not a stand alone performance mod? If so the Duramaximizer offers 100 HP, so for the reflash you achieve an additional 70 HP for $100 bucks? Not a bad deal but you compromise your warranty once the dealer finds out you swapped PCM'S they'll bounce ya right out the door.....Wouldn't you think? I would consider if I could get a core but for a total price tag of $1695 I'll hang on for now with my Fabulous JUICE box......Sorry turbolag I really wasn't selling it any way it's my Trucks buddy....I'm sure EDGE will address the speedo and perhaps come out with a tweaked version.......I'm sure duramaximizer is a good product but I'm not coring my PCM.....All the info is great thanks......Things will be opening up for us D-Max owners......

MAC

What's going on with the handheld reflash JK?

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

pullinpower
08-22-2002, 19:47
Hopefully I can give you guys some feedback shortly as I am getting a messaged 112HP PCM and a maximiser to try out and see how it runs from pacific performance.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

afp
08-22-2002, 19:54
SoCalDieselNewbie,

What air systems were tested?

Blaine

JOEDURAMAXIMIZER
08-23-2002, 00:34
mackin,

the additional 112HP and 168HP is solely from the PCM, and is $895.00. The DURAMAXIMIZER is additional and also adds additional power, approx 50 HP when you stack to the PCM programs. This additional power can be turned up or down from inside the truck even while driving.
when you stack boxes or programs the power increase can not be added together by just adding the HP numbers. Dyno testing is the only true answer to the results.

SoCalDMAX

Per out conversation with SCDN from what i can tell you we do not condone FUD, i am not quite sure exactly what was said between Dan and SCDN, but it was something along the lines of SCDN's friend having Juice with propane,as he covered his ears mentioning the loudest clatter he ever heard, and something about smoke, thats when Dan pointed to the wall. SCDN probably could fill you in on the details if you are interested.
I did mention to SCDN when i had arrived that per our customers requests we verify compatibility of our products with others in the market place, and the juice happened to be one of the other products that we had tested stacked with our products, DURAMAXIMIZER, PCM (tow version), ect. with good power increase results.
I can say one thing, SCDN came prepared with a lot of good questions which deserved to be answered with clear factual answers.
Also if you are near by some time stop by and we will be happy to run your truck on the Dyno so you know what it is really doing with each mod.

afp
The stock 2002 air system was tested and dyno base number were attained, (stock truck) then with the air box completely removed with no filter to the point which you could see the turbo impeller as you looked past the mass air flow sensor. Both with stock and larger diameter intake tubing.
Zero HP gains over base. However more turbo whine. Our development and research for better air box designs ended at this point.
We will probably look at it again with the new PCM programs.

Forced Induction
08-23-2002, 06:41
What kind of torque increase numbers are we talking here? Obvoiusly the increase in HP must be due largely to the increase in rev limiter rpm, so as long as the torque doesn't fall off to rapidly HP should go through the roof. Which should help the alli stay in one piece. I would like to know what the numbers are, and are any dyno plots available? I agree with all the other about the PCM core and dealer question, I don't care for that to much either.
Also, is the 13.4 time actual drag strip data or g-tech, either way what was the MPH? This new power sounds interesting, I can't wait to see how things pan out in the near future. smile.gif smile.gif

JA

csimo
08-23-2002, 08:02
Joeduramaximizer,

Not to discount the subject of this thread, but you posted a tidbit that I find very interesting. There have been many threads here regarding which is the best air filter to have... K&N is best, or Amsoil is best, etc. I've been waiting for someone to do exactly what you did. To refresh memory:

"The stock 2002 air system was tested and dyno base number were attained, (stock truck) then with the air box completely removed with no filter to the point which you could see the turbo impeller as you looked past the mass air flow sensor. Both with stock and larger diameter intake tubing.
Zero HP gains over base. However more turbo whine. Our development and research for better air box designs ended at this point."

Thank you for posting that information! I didn't think that the '02 improved airbox and filter were a restriction at all. The bottom line is that an aftermarked air filter, or box is just a waste of money.

Did you do any testing on the exhaust system? I suspect you would find nearly the same results.

SoCalDMAX
08-23-2002, 10:55
Joe,

Thanks for your reply. I also found your air filter testing info interesting and helpful. I hope we hear a lot more from you as things progress. Thanks for the kind invitation. I'm interested in going to Irwindale track in the near future, perhaps I can coordinate that trip with you and get some dyno runs in the day before or after.

The comments I made about FUD refer to a couple of lines of info in your FAQ on your website. Nothing that SCDN posted here from his talk with Dan sounded like FUD to me. If you like, I can email you about the specific statements; or reply here and let me know if you'd like to discuss these on the forum.

Thanks again, Steve

SoCalDieselNewbie
08-23-2002, 12:17
TO ALL THOSE WORRIED ABOUT FUD...

I really don't know where all this FUD stuff came from. I asked specific questions, citing specific examples, and expected specific answers. It would have been very easy for Joe to do the "mine doesn't do it but their's does" routine with me but, to his credit, he did not and answered all questions in a professional manner.

As for my black spot on the wall next to the Dyno remark, I specifically asked about their products smoking and mention a friend's juiced & propaned D-Max laying diesel clouds and pinging hard from having the timing so far advanced.

Here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, we have emissions cops that anybody with a cell phone can call and submit your plates. Spewing a 100 yards black cloud of diesel smoke will get the enviro cops on your tail sooner rather than later. I can't remember the exact answer, since it was possibly one of the least interesting topics of our conversation, but I believe the answer was that spot was created by a truck under load running a juice box.

As a matter of fact, a couple of diesel mechanics that I know... were much less Miss America with their answers when asked the same question.

Anyway, it would be VERY easy for Joe's company to come out with a 'performance air intake system' and sell it for a couple of hundred dollars. I mean after spending $800 on a duramaximizer, $800 on a Bassani exhaust, $900 on a reprogrammed PCM and another $500 on guages... What is a measely $300 'to make your truck breath better' because everyone knows that increased air flow = hp, right?

Looking back on our discussion, I think that Joe & Dan asked me as many questions, about my needs and how I used my truck, as I asked about their products.

I have no financial investment nor emotional investment (i.e. friends) with Joe or any of his employees. Heck, the first time that I met Joe was yesterday. However, after our first meeting, my impression of him, his employee's and his business was that of a first-rate business staffed and operated by professionals. The place has a knowledgible staff, a clean store front and a very clean shop area.

I left his business knowing that the Joe et al would make the effort and take the measures necessary to guarantee customer satisfaction.

To be quite honest, when I first walked in the door, I dismissed Dan as a typical California kid, whose only interest in power is to see how many watts it will take for his stereo to blow the windshield out of his Acura. Not only was I plesantly suprised by Dan's diesel knowledge, I was pretty shocked at his enthusiasm for the products and the Duramax trucks. I made sure to thank him for his time and knowledge several times. If he sticks with it, in a couple of years, I think you might find Dan here talking about his performance products for the '05 Chevy diesels.

Anyway, rather than trying to run Joe out of here, like his products or not, I think we should welcome him. A guy that takes the time to test various configurations and theories... then put them to the test on the Dyno and at the track is a HUGE ASSET.

CSIMO,

At this point, while I know the answer to your question, I feel very uncomfortable even mentioning information derived with conversations WITH ANYBODY for fear of them being persecuted by this board.

JOE,

After this little debacle in here, you'll probably be seeing my face sooner than you'd like but I needs a 170hp PCM, exhaust & guages (EGT, Boost & Rear Diff Temp) for my Dually. I'll try to hook up with you next week.

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
08-23-2002, 13:46
Whoa,

I don't think anyone is trying to run him out of here; quite the opposite, I'm very happy he's here. I extend a very warm welcome and eagerly look fwd to hearing more about his products and test results. (In my first post, I didn't know his name was really Joe, so I used quotation marks.)

I clearly stated where I read the statements in the FAQ that kinda made me a little suspicious, but I have NO reservations about their candor, their sincerity or their products. Just a very healthy interest. (Boy, it's easy to be misunderstood... ;) )

Thanks again for joining, Joe and to SCDN for going over there and getting the answers so quickly!

Regards, Steve

pullinpower
08-23-2002, 16:37
Im waiting on joe to send me the duramaximiser and his 112HP PCM program and will give results when installed. They seem like a great bunch to work with. :D

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

Wally
08-25-2002, 09:19
Great info and I really appreciate everyones input.
Now I have a couple of questions;
My truck is a ZF equipped version and is an absolute DOG from idle to 1800. It really doesn't begin to pull worth a flip until 2500. Is this a programming issue or just the characteristics of this engine and the boost curve? I had an Alison version before this one and this type of performance was barely noticeable but still discernable. My take was the Ally was doing a good job of hiding it.
Can this be programmed out?
Does the PCM reprogram work for a ZF?
I've driven both CTDs and PSDs and compared to them the Dmax has no bottom end grunt and it annoys the tooey out of me!!!!!
At least in my case (both trucks) the accusations that the Dmax has to rev to make power are more than justified!