PDA

View Full Version : rear main seal seep

ovis
03-07-2003, 22:52
2001 2500HD,LS ext cab long box., 66,000 miles..rear main seeping. gasget being replaced around the plate that seperates the allison from the engine. My first diesel and the first time writing here. Incidently, my first American brand in 28 years..My confidence is shaken.. Anyone out there w/ a past similar problem... i'll be as good as new after the fix, right..I'm all stock. Love the truck and want to be a believer,,,Any opinions or comments?? ...Ovis

fredw
03-07-2003, 23:38
i have not heard of that problem before, but will ask my neibour,(gmtech)if he has, will get back to you :confused: :confused:

NWDmax
03-08-2003, 09:25
Ovis,I had what I thought was a rear main leak since that was the area it dripped from but it turned out to be the turbo oil return tube.The dealer had to take it apart,order parts.wait for them to come in and finally after 10 days I got my baby back.Only had 1 drip since then but I'm thinking breather tube so not to worry.Hopefully yours is a lot faster to fix.It really was lousy driving a loaner.Good luck!
Blake smile.gif

ovis
03-08-2003, 17:32
Thanks guys,,I've been w/o my rig for 5 days now. Dealer was stumpped @ first, and removed the turbo thinking oil was running from above(dye injected) thought they saw runs from up high running down,,then concluded it was rear main. took Tranny off and discovered a special tool was needed to remove the plate/seal/gasket(another 2 days w/ screw up in overmight expresing the special tool).. not much experience w/ the Duamax take down, and I gues that could be seen as good/bad. They've provided a loaner (GEO tarcker) which came in handy during a recent 8"snow storm. Miss the truck, and I'm told I'm under the 100,000 warranty so that is good. Supposed to have the truck back by mon/tues. I guess the heavy end guy is muti-tasking behind the scene and they know I'm in a loaner and thAt this is a warranty fix,,i'll post again and watch for related comments. thanks, good to know you're out there...ovis