PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stalling when shifting into park

Sierra467
12-01-2004, 10:42
Just recently, my truck has occasionally started to stall when pulling into a parking space (forward or backwards) and shifting into Park.

At first I thought it was a fluke, but over the past month or so, it has happened 2-3 times. I have taken it into the dealer, but they cannot reproduce it and there are no codes.

It definitely does not happen all the time and it appears ghosty as far as when it happens, but as of yet I cannot pin it to any situation. The only thing I can say is that it happens when shifting from R or D into Park.

Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this or what I can do to fix it? Is this happening to anyone else too?

More Power
12-01-2004, 16:33
Bizarre....

All of the ignition switch circuits are in the keylock cylinder assembly, not in the rotating part of the column. So, it shouldn't cause the engine to shut off when moving the shift lever.

Might be possible that some portion of the ignition switch assy is being moved slightly when shifting into park. A flaky switch might then drop one of the ignition circuits. There are several switch elements in the ignition switch. One of them might be the cause..... :confused:

MP

Sierra467
12-02-2004, 08:46
Thanks,

Is there a way to test the switches without taking lots appart? Would a bad switch throw a code at any time?

More Power
12-02-2004, 09:10
To eliminate this possibility, it may require probing the several ignition circuit fuses with a multimeter or test light when the problem occurs.

But first, I'd see if you can consistently reproduce the problem. The more times you can reproduce the problem, the closer you'll be to identifying the cause.

MP

DmaxMaverick
12-02-2004, 15:17
I've seen/heard this many times. My '85 Blazer does it on rare ocasions.

You could have a tranny/engine/electric problem....or not. Check for those things later.

Do you have a lot of keys/objects on the same ring/fob as your ignition key? If so, the shifter lever can bump the key ring/keys and turn off your ignition, or bump it enough to "pulse" the ignition. Turns out, that was the problem with my '85 when I used my "house" key ring (key ring with duplicate keys to everything I own on a single ring that stays at the house) to operate the Blazer. My '01 does it all the time....when my wife drives the truck, with here "school-custodian-like" key ring. Just can't talk her out of that setup, even though she'll swear like a sailor every time it happens.

If that's not possible in your case, good luck. As MP said, could be one of several issues causing it.

More Power
12-02-2004, 16:47
http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/keycylinder01.jpg

This is a pic of an '01 ignition key cylinder lock assembly - minus the key cylinder.

This image shows the black rectangular ignition switch assembly that is operated via a toothed gear. The gear is rotated when you rotate the ignition key, which in turn operates the various ignition switch contacts.

MP