PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter spotless

schnier
08-23-2002, 04:27
I changed my fuel filter last night and the bottom and top was spotless clean. This was normal maintenence after one year and 17,000 miles. I always fill up at newer fuel stations like Pilot, Mobil, and Shell. All less than 5 to 8 years old. Also changed the transmission filter at 32,000 and the magnet had very little buildup. Not nearly as bad as it was at 5,000 miles new. Overall a little maintenence before winter hits. Just as an update, I also had a new fuel rail put on the drivers side as it leaked with some after market boxes I tried this summer. Running great at 32,185 miles, and quiet.

deerhunter7
08-23-2002, 07:02
schnier did you cut the filter open ? I changed mine this last weekend and cut open . About 3/4 of an inch on the bottom was black . This is at 11,500 miles. Also decided to do mine now before it gets cold......

schnier
08-23-2002, 07:04
No, but I will tonight just to see the inside. I was looking at the bottom drain plug area after I took it off. Most funny stuff will settle there.

csimo
08-23-2002, 08:12
A thread about a month ago was talking about some orange or reddish gunk in the fuel filters of some trucks. Glad you didn't have any, and I didn't have any in my two fuel filter changes.

On the other hand, when I installed the TransferFlow fuel tank I noticed the OEM tank had about 1/8" of this orange/red crud in the bottom of the tank. Sediment? Algae? Algae is usually nearly black in color.

You can "catch" an algae problem by just using an infected fuel nozzle. If the last guy that filled up had algae and you use that same nozzle you will probably end up with an algae problem too. The fuel station may have an algae problem in their tanks too.

Here's some more reading about diesel algae if interested (I'm not recommending their product, but the page does have a good simple explaination of the problem):

http://www.pfs-pros.com/page15.html

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: csimo ]</p>