PDA

View Full Version : DMax and synthetic oil

jet
12-03-2004, 21:58
I'm new to the forum here and I can't believe all the info!
I have a question on oil.
I have a 2003 dmax 2500hd and I have about 20,000 miles on it and I'm thinking about going with synthetic oil or semi synthetic oil on my next change. I want to maximize my motor protection as I want to keep this truck from many years and many of my trips are short and the engine does not fully warm up. What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Jet

Kennedy
12-04-2004, 07:08
I have been running Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 for quite some time now. Excellent results on my oil analysis. Amsoil 15w40 is also a good choice.

With frequent short trips, a shorter drain intervals would be advisable, or mix in a good long run in there somewhere. I'd also recommend using an oil pan heater and/or the block heater as much as practical.

More Power
12-07-2004, 11:27
In general, there are two (or maybe three) categories of diesel pickup owners who would benefit when using a synthetic motor oil.

1- Those who tow heavy in higher ambient temperatures. Synthetic oils have a higher heat tolerance, and are more stable in higher temperatures, while maintaining viscosity. A hot engine with synthetic usually has a few more psi oil pressure.

2- Those who live in really cold climates. The cold flow capabilities of synthetic are important in zero F or below temps. If I lived in Fairbanks, AK or Yellowknife NWT, I'd run a synthetic.

3- Those who plan to own the same truck for many years (i.e. 8-10+). The superior lube qualities can extend the life of engines.

Those who trade every 2-4 years won't likely benefit from using a synthetic. But, you will be helping the next owner.... smile.gif

Aside from the above, our experience indicates a lower rate of oil consumption and a reduced amount of soot getting into the oil. This is due to a better piston ring seal and less "cook-off".

We've used Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40, Shell Rotella Synthetic and Amsoil 15W-40 marine synthetic with excellent results.

MP

Cliffee
12-08-2004, 09:57
On my 03 I switched to Amsoil 15W40 Marine Synthetic at 10kmi. Soon as my 05 is broken in I think I'm going to use Shell Rotella T Full syn. 5W40.
I think the lower 5 weight will not only make it better for cold weather but also provide better protection for short trips. Its also about $6.00 less a gallon. I change oil every 7500.

LanduytG
12-08-2004, 10:41
Its also about $6.00 less a gallon You must be buying the Delac at $11 a gallon, thats a real find.

Greg

Hound
12-15-2004, 11:27
Originally posted by LanduytG:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Its also about $6.00 less a gallon You must be buying the Delac at $11 a gallon, thats a real find.

Greg </font>[/QUOTE]Greg,

He stated Rotella T Syn, not Delvac 1. The Rotella Syn is about $12 per gallon at the local Wally World.