PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Bracket Broke

Joe.G
08-23-2002, 18:31
Pulled my passenger side fender liner to install my egt gauge and noticed that my downpipe exhaust brace that bolts to the cast exhaust manifold was broke in the center with a 1/8 gape between the 2 pieces. This is right before the exhaust pipe hooks up, this truck has 61000 miles on it and I don't know how long this has been broke. Question: does it matter?

SoCalDMAX
08-23-2002, 21:28
Hi Joe,

Yes, I would definitely think it matters. It helps support the pipe and GM wouldn't put it on if it wasn't helping in some way. This has happened to several members in the past. They all got it fixed at the dealer, IIRC, one dealer wanted to just reweld it and the owner insisted on new parts.

Regards, Steve

BowTieDmax
08-24-2002, 13:31
I noticed mine was broke a couple of weeks ago when I was installing my gauges. I was going to have it looked at when I take my truck back in for the small oil leak at the front of the oil pan. The service rep. said it was comming from a breather and they had to look up the bulletin. But I will see what he says about the crack.

Barc
08-24-2002, 15:46
How do you pull that piece out?? I want to check mine - I have had a very annoying whistling type sound now for over 20,000 km and I am wondering if that might be the problem?? Any help is appreciated!! Thanks

Joe.G
08-24-2002, 16:51
The bracket is welded to the downpipe, you can replace the pipe or weld it. If you put a gusset on it would probably stay forever. Oh, and this stuff looks like stainless steel.

The oil leak comes from the vent tube, I just spray it off with Brake Clean and forget about it.

mackin
08-24-2002, 18:18
Barc ,
The inner well is held in by a two piece fastener........If you pull the center "PIN" out with a thin blade screw driver, or I found a cotter pin extractor works well too, the balance of the fastener will then be able to be removed with your tool of choose ......Depending how far you want to go there is a couple "barbed" fasteners too.....If total remove is desired, there is barbed fasteners holding wire looms in the engine compartment that will have to be pulled out, to remove the panel......Sounds complicated but it is real easy.....Use caution as you want to reuse all fasteners.....

MAC smile.gif

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

ZFMax
08-24-2002, 20:06
Mine broke awhile back. It caused an annoying vibration noise at about 900rpm. Didn't know what it was at first. The dealer insisted the noise was normal, "diesels just vibrate". I finally found the source of the noise thanks to a tip I got here. I got the bracket welded and all is well.