PDA

View Full Version : filter ? for BROKERS

Joe Duffiney
03-08-2003, 16:22
I have always been amazed at the mileage you get from your trucks. I was wondering if your add on filter was before or after the factory filter.

cmtndmax
03-08-2003, 23:06
If yall don't mind another ? What rear axle lubricant are you use in your dmax trucks.

TraceF
03-09-2003, 09:13
Since the trucks are on the road so much do you get service anywhere you can or do you use the same lubricants all the time?

BROKERS
03-10-2003, 18:30
Joe .

I have all my filters pre factory.
I have a 100 gl tank in the bed on the floor.
I had a shield fabed so debris dont hit the fuel filters under the truck.It has happend before.

BROKERS
03-10-2003, 18:38
cmtndmax.
Delvac 1 in the motor.
We use Mobil1 Syn.in all axels.Bearings get replaced on the rear axel at 85,000mi. Differential gets rebuilt around 130-150000mi.
Whe run a drive shaft driven Sun pump up to a electic fanned cooler in the bed.This has doubled the life of our rear axel.

BROKERS
03-10-2003, 18:52
Trace,

We have a main service yard/compound in MASS and a smaller one in Maritime Canada.I'm a broker i have holding cap of 400 units per compound.

Yes the trucks are on a super service schedule.
They use the same Lubricants all the time.
Do a search,i believe its been covered.
i've been in business hauling since 86.
First 2 trucks were left over 85 reg cab dooleys with 2 car bumper pull trailers.They were 4bbl 454 with 4speeds.After the first year we used to keep a spare motor in the shop all the time.

Any who, service and a steady foot is the key to
longevity !

Joe Duffiney
03-11-2003, 21:20
Thanx for the reply BROKERS !!!!!!!

cmtndmax
03-12-2003, 01:15
Brokers thanks for the reply. I really like reading about what works in real world usage. compared to your use most of us will get very long life from our trucks by following the tips you and others pass along to us.

hoot
03-12-2003, 04:24
BROKER,

What type/brand of fuel filter do you use?

BROKERS
03-12-2003, 14:54
Hoot i dont know the model # but i'll get it for you when i'm down in the shop.They are either Racors or Fleetguard depending on availability.I know i buy them by the case.The rest of our oils we buy 55gl drums.

Burner
03-12-2003, 15:49
BROKERS,

You had mentioned in another thread that you use a cooling "system" for your rears. Two questions: Where would we find that type of system; Do you use a Magna cover as well? I do not know if they are truely viable for, long term, heavy heat applications. :confused:

Thanks Burner---------

---p.s. Are there any Cummins powered trucks in your fleet? I was wondering if the longer stroke made a difference?

BROKERS
03-12-2003, 17:06
Our rear axel cooling is custom fab.in our shop.

1.Drive shaft pulley - Grainger supply
2.Belts - Napa Green steel re-inforced
3.Sun Pump pt# 276-78 - Grainger supply
4.Pump bracket - custom fab
5.Hoses 3/8"- Napa
6.Clamps ,grommets-Napa
7.Hayden transmission cooler with 14" electrical fan
8.Differential cover is stock with a 4"x3"x4" box welded off the bottom 1/2.That is tapped for pick up.Axel is tapped on top for oil return.
9.Bed Return tank. 2 gallon - Hydraulic supply

Yes we just added a dodge.We used to run nothing but dodges in the late 90's.They were very maintenance heavy on transmissions and allthe little crud.Broke 2 frames before.Right at the forward leafspring frame mounts.Tore transmission crossmembers clean out of frame on 3 trucks.I can go on but i wont.I do like the cummins.Can i say liftpump-liftpump-liftpump!Cracked manifolds!

[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: BROKERS ]</p>

hoot
06-03-2003, 07:40
Brokers,

Find out what filters you are using? And have you had any injector problems on the DMax's with the filters?

Gbenzx01
06-05-2003, 20:21
Brokers,

Once more if you will & thanx for coming to the DP.
As you were talking abt the dodge problems you then repeated liftpump & cracked heads, still meaning dodge problems?
Are you using a lift pump on any Dmax?
And have you ever had any Dmax with start/shutdown orloss of prime issues you think were air related either before/after 2nd filter was installed?
Your purchase of the 03 dodge leads me to believe maybe they have done something different this time? Had our share of problems with those which we brought to a halt in 95.
Oh one more, Use 110 or 130wt in rear ends?

Thanx, Gben

Gbenzx01
06-08-2003, 01:38
Brokers Please,

Just lifting the thread so maybe you would have a chance to see our questions above......

Thanx, Gben

Joe Duffiney
06-09-2003, 14:30
I don't know him personally but from what I have seen on this forum he is hard to find. He is very busy in his line of work and I usually see him here around the holidays when his trucks are not on the road.

BROKERS
06-09-2003, 18:08
Sorry guys been busy.

110 wt on the gear oil.
Filters are
Racor 690 with R90S cartridge
Fleetguard/Optiguard F5 1020
The trucks are mixed with these 2 filters.It is always about availability no other reason.
I dont have any trapped air issues . Only intermitten stalling issues with the 6.0l PSD.
Injectors, i think there has been one replaced on the 01D/A and 4 in the 03 6.0l PSD/TS.

Again alternators are the #1 down time on the GM'S.Guys they are good trucks,just maintain them and they will run very good.

Later Tom.

hoot
06-09-2003, 18:33
Thanks Broker! smile.gif

Gbenzx01
06-09-2003, 19:52
Thanx Brokers,

This stuff means a lot to most of us I think. Not too many people even have this kind of millions of miles of hands on running let alone the time to share abt it. I had 5 otr trucks at one time & I always wished the drivers could be as dependable as the trucks, Kenworths, were.
This certainly makes a statement for the racor 690
& the fleetguard filters, George M listening. although we've learned by now abt your clockwork maintenance system!
We simply chose the cat 2mic filter because of our prior experience & the testing results from George & Avlube.
I advised the stealership today that their dearly beloved oem racor has no rights to ride my Dmax truck. The Stanadyne pump/filter will now become the the primary on the framerail & the cat wil fill the space where the oem now resides.

Thanx, Gben

BROKERS
06-10-2003, 17:29
Guys i have used the 2mic cat filter.
It priced it self right out of the boatyard!
Availability was always an issue.