PDA

View Full Version : AVlube has Primrose

SPICER
03-08-2003, 20:05
Primrose was off the shelf for a while due to shipping issues. My order is in and I will get it soon. 405 and 409(winter).
My question for George or anyone else: Is the standard treat rate enough? Can it be overdosed? AND, Is there any performance DISADVANTAGE to using the 409(winter formula) with flow enhancers during the WARM months? Thanks! SPICER

george morrison
03-10-2003, 20:46
Both Primrose 405 and 409 are industrial strength additives and thus try to treat as per the recommended treat rate. It does not hurt to overtreat but the attendant advantages in cetane boost, lubricity, water removal, etc. do not increase linearly after optimum treat level. Thus, overtreating is wasting additive but is not harmful in any way.
The 409 can be used into summer with the same basic advantages of 405 but at a slightly reduced effectiveness as 409's primary role is winter operation and freeze/cloud protection.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

SPICER
03-10-2003, 21:32
Thanks George!
I just got my shipment today. I will use the 409 at my next fillup. Since a tankful only requires at most 1-2 oz. I think I will use a sta-bil dispenser.
On a related note, I have seen some additves(Rotella DFA) claim to disperse small amounts of water and separate large amounts of water. What happens if an emulsifier and a de-emulsifier are mixed together in the same tank? I used Rotella DFA in my last tank. Should I wait until I'm on "E" to fill up using Primrose? Thanks again for your expert help! SPICER

george morrison
03-10-2003, 21:55
The STa-Bil dispenser is a great idea; this would enable very concise additization of the Primrose. The Shell additive does contain emulsifer so there is no conflict with the Primrose. The Shell is not nearly as agressive/concentrated as the Primrose, however.
George Morrison, STLE CLS