PDA

View Full Version : Ticking D- Max

johns d-max
12-05-2004, 07:30
I am new to the forum and have a question My D-max, 11,500 miles, has had a pronounced ticking coming from the motor since it had about 100 miles on it. I t only does it when it is warm, and the sound is constant, but intermittant. I think that it is one of the injectors, but i cannot notice a noticable lack of permormance. I will be taking the truck to the dealership in a month, where they have already heard the sound. What should i recomend to the service department to help fix this problem. Thanks

More Power
12-05-2004, 11:28
The infamous "tick" has been around a long time. A good share of the LB7 engines are affected, but aside from a slight annoyance, it's nothing to worry about.

You can read a multitude of threads about this topic by using the Search Function (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=search;search_forum=3).

MP

jet
12-05-2004, 14:05
At an idle mine sounded like a typewritter up to 20,000 km. Now it has pretty much gone away.

johns d-max
12-05-2004, 14:16
Thanks alot guys, i should have spent a little more time looking up the answer first :rolleyes:

Kennedy
12-05-2004, 14:24
Annoying as it may be, like stated above, it's of no concern as far as durability/longevity. Frequency and intensity will vary.

dmaxalliTech
12-05-2004, 14:52
Some have noted it going away or changing intensity with different brand oils but I dont know if I would change oil brands trying to chase away a known noise that is proven to not be an issue. GM has released a tsb on it and describes it as noise caused from oil at the crankshaft. I dont recall specifics, but long story short... Dont worry about it.

yankee
12-06-2004, 03:13
Mine ticked at every oil change regardless of brand untill approx 45 thousand miles.

More Power
12-06-2004, 07:58
I believe it's related to new oil gassing off, which tends to reinforce one theory about gas bubbles present in the oil flow, then popping in the crank journals. My truck with 41,000 miles still does it after an oil change and for the next couple hundred miles, but has become less noticeable over time/miles.

MP

[ 12-07-2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]