PDA

View Full Version : What 4" exhaust do you like?

Vaughn MacKenzie
12-05-2004, 19:00
A friend has a '03 Silverado 2500 which is bone stock (but a very nice ride). He's thinking to up the power a bit so I told him to do gauges and exhaust first.

I don't know the DMax well but isn't the downpipe off the turbo kinda lame and restrictive? What aftermarket exhaust would you recommend and is a new downpipe included?

Thanks, Vaughn

More Power
12-06-2004, 08:39
To my knowledge, there aren't any aftermarket downpipes available yet. There are a couple in the design (they might do it) phase.

Most of the systems on the market would do a good job, concerning fit and quality. Mufflers are a variable, though. Some are more or less noisy.

I'd recommend anyone interested in an exhaust system to contact the various Advertisers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm), and ask them questions about sound quality (and explain your expectations), and options like polished/chrome tips, etc.

MP

Vaughn MacKenzie
12-06-2004, 16:33
Thanks Jim. I found a Banks flyer making it look like they have a downpipe, but I'm not hot on Banks and wouldn't necessarily recommend them. Why is it no one has a downpipe yet? I will check around with Silverline, MBRP, etc.

Vaughn

Jorday
12-06-2004, 19:20
I really like my kennedy 4" exhaust, and I would buy it again in a second.

NLDP
12-06-2004, 19:52
ATS tried a downpipe and it lost power .No one makes a downpipe to my knowledge alot of companys say downpipe but its just from the flange at the floor board back. I like the mbrp kits. NLDP

Heartbeat Hauler
12-07-2004, 07:46
I think the lack of useable space is probably a big deterent to down pipe development. And in answer to your question I use the Banks Monster Exhaust. So far I like it's low noise and lack of drone, however the stainless steel has turned rusty brown...yuck. Anyways, it came in the Stinger kit.
JP

More Power
12-07-2004, 08:21
Our little red hot-rod (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2-16.htm) has a 4" KD system (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) without a cat or muffler. Sounds really bitchin while on boost :D , but I wouldn't want a straight pipe for a family/recreation/RV truck.

BD (http://www.bd-power.com) supplied the muffler for our previous 6.5TD Project (http://www.thedieselpage.com/finale.htm), and is the best sounding muffler I've heard yet. It's a fairly large straight-through design that produces a deep rumble while under load. I haven't seen this muffler advertised lately, so I don't know if it's still available.

MP

lovette
12-07-2004, 11:57
I like my new Magnaflow.

hug
12-07-2004, 13:24
I have the banks exhaust. I like it just takes some time to use to after having stock exhaust

hug
12-07-2004, 13:26
Forgot to mention that it was easy to install

Rick_R_04LLY
12-07-2004, 21:39
After about 1000 mi on my mid year LLY, I had a Magna Flow XL series exhaust installed. This is a straight thru 4" system with a small-perforated muffler about one foot long. No CC.

Immediately started getting EGR codes 401 and 404. Dealer said EGR valve was no good but there was a possibility that the decrease in backpressure was causing the light to come on. The light came on once a day or so

lovette
12-09-2004, 11:22
I should clarify, I have an 03 Dmax(LB7). No problems with codes with Juice/Attitude, K&N FIPK, and Magnaflow exhaust. I got the "turbo back" with the polished SS muffler, not the XL(not polished).
No annoying drone/resonance for me. It is louder than stock, but pleasantly, at least to my ears.

As others have said, "turbo back" isn't really turbo back, but collector back.

johns d-max
12-13-2004, 06:32
I have a Full 4" torbo back MBRP exaust on my 2004 LLY. No CC. It is not too loud but there is a constant turbo whine at idle, which is kind of cool, and it sounds very cool under load/boost. Really cheap too!

tpitt
12-13-2004, 17:45
My favorite is ATS, my next favorite, would be MBRP. I've installed both of these and BD'S exhausts on Duramaxs. The ATS has all of them beat hands down. tpitt

Blacktruck-1
12-13-2004, 20:24
I run a Jardine engineering/pinnacle 4" exhaust on all three diesel trucks. The Chevy system uses the stock turbo downpipe. I noticed no SOTP improvement other than sound after installation. Some in the know claim the stock downpipe is hart do improve on. EGT's with early Edge Juice on level 4 were never a problem before or after installation.

The Chevy and '01 Dodge use a magnaflow muffler and the '95 Dodge uses a straight thru bullet design muffler with a deep tone and no resonance noise. The magnaflows give a mellow tone but are louder than stock with more turbo whine. All Systems are 4" 14 ga. mandrel bent tubing with all hangers and clamps. The GMC is a Cummins conversion so I ordered a headpipe back system and adapted to the supplied 3-1/2" pipe before the muffler to the fabbed 3" turbo down pipe.

Very reasonable prices and top quality materials.

[ 12-13-2004, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Blacktruck-1 ]