PDA

View Full Version : Check you spare tire.

Wheat Whacker
03-09-2004, 19:00
Well I had a shock the other day I was hooking up a sprayer that was traded to tow to a dealership and when I was looking to hook up some safety chains I noticed my spare tire was gone :confused: . It was there just 4 days before when I washed it and after further inspection I realized that the cable that holds it up had just frayed and broke. So I have a spare tire laying between Benedict, ND and my house :eek: . Just thought I would pass on my bad luck so it doesn't happen to someone else.
smile.gif
BTW how hard is it to replace the spare tire holder and cable assembly? I haven't looked at it yet.

markelectric
03-09-2004, 22:38
I could not get past the cost. decided to use a piece of allthread. I may get dirty someday when I need to drop it to use it, but I guess I will have saved enough money to buy a new set of clothes, and then some.

G. Gearloose
03-10-2004, 03:22
That happened to a buddy in his dodge while towing his boat; quite a spectacle.

autocrosser
03-10-2004, 05:02
Another one to watch for is loss of air pressure in the spare. I found both my wife's van and my truck spare pressure very low recently. I hadn't checked them in about 4 years. If you don't check them you might get a surprise when you need it - they do leak down.

slagona
03-10-2004, 05:57
Theft is another common occurrence. I had mine cut in a parking lot while visiting a GM assembly plant. They also took the cover off the bed. After that, I left the spare at home and kept a plug kit and pump with me - unless I was on a trip out of town.......

Beedee
03-10-2004, 09:38
The only trouble with using threaded rod is it will sieze up. All the crap off the road gets on it, little salt, a little road grime, a little water and bingo, instant rust.
Had the same set up on my 77 F250, had to cut the spare out with a torch :mad: . Fortunately I was in the parkiing lot for shop where I was working. :D only had to drag the bottles a hundred yards or so :eek: , Friday night after work smile.gif afternoon shift :( just wanted to go home, not climb under truck :mad: . But I digress

gmctd
03-10-2004, 10:09
Nissan and etc trucks used a similar setup, but with gear reduction sprocket and link chain.

Should not be difficult to adapt, and much cheaper from a local boneyard.

Also works very well for various and sundry events in an auto shop.

Cowracer
03-10-2004, 13:01
Duallies are great, I dont need no steekin' spare. If you get a flat on front, just take a rear off and swap out. If you get a flat on the rear, hell just drive it!

Tim

Wheat Whacker
03-10-2004, 18:09
Thanks for the idea JD. I will have to see if I can find one to adapt to mine.

tom.mcinerney
03-10-2004, 18:24
It's not difficult to R&R. But mark the boltholes; it's kind of asymetrical mounting.

Barra
03-11-2004, 07:04
Has anyone looked at doing an external mount of their spare? The suburban has it inside the cargo area, taking up lots of room.

gmctd
03-11-2004, 09:17
If you'll look up under the back of your Sub, you'll see why it is inside mounted.

Aftermarket external mounts were available for the double-door type Subs, and there was a swing-away type for the tailgate styles.

JCWhitney.com will have some, if any are still available..

Then there is the roof-mount style - looks good on a safari-ized rig.