PDA

View Full Version : Cold Stall AND Lopey idle

Art Freeman
12-05-2002, 14:16
I have been away from the board for quite some time. I have cold-weather Dmax trouble. There are several threads on thiese topics but here's one with a combination of two symptoms: cold stall followed by lopey idle. I just did a search on these, and don't see much progress as far as fixes.

Last winter, I posted about my first experience of a cold weather problem. It would start right up then die about 30 seconds later. Members of this board helped by telling me to pump the primer and crank away. This allowed the truck to start and stay alive, and restart while warm. When I finally got around to taking it to the dealer earlier this year, it wasn't very cold and of course they couldn't reproduce the problem. I changed the fuel filter and I thought that cured it but the temps weren't very cold again.

Now that the temperatures again are occasionally cold here, the problem is showing itself again, but it's worse even after changing the fuel filter again. Sitting overnight in ~ the low 40's, it'll reliably start in the morning then reliably stall. I prime and crank and it starts/stays alive as usual. The additional symptom is the lousy lopey idle that pretty much disappears after warming up. When I leave work, the same thing is happening. As soon as I can, I'm taking it to the dealer and telling them to leave it outside overnight so they can see what I see.

As for stalling, I have not tried loosening the fuel tank cap yet but I will the next night it gets cold here. I've also seen the posts that refer to a tiny (and hard to find) crack/hole somewhere in the fuel lines probably causing this. Is there still nothing on the dealer "books" about it? In other words, can I expect the dealer to not pursue the stalling problem with any authority when I return with the same problem? It's really frustrating and embarassing to have to pop the hood twice a day to get this truck running.

Thanks,

Art
'01 K2500, 22,500 miles

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: Art Freeman ]</p>

Jon L.
12-05-2002, 15:22
Art, go up 3 threads from this one it deal exactly with your problem, this sounds very common. edit, go to "what really causes" thread, didnt know the threads moved up on this forum ie(newbie)

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: Jon L. ]</p>