PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Then Quits

ih1466
12-05-2002, 19:37
My 2001 has 28,000 miles on it now. It did what I am going to discribe about 6 times last winter and already once this winter. When it gets cold out it starts fine if I run it at least once a day. If it sits out in the could for two or three days it fires up just fine runs for 3-5 seconds and then quits. Then you can turn it over but it will not start. Open the hood and push the primer bay the fuel filter about 6 times and it will start up and run just fine. Have any of you had this problem? What was the fix?

I also have had the cold idle loop but now it is getting terrible this winter. Now I can feel it when diving at real low speeds. After reading the other posts it this sounds commen.

I realy like driving my truck but if it is the fuel pump or what ever to fix it that is fine while under warrenty but will be a costly truck to have if you have to get new pumps every 25K.

hickcox
12-05-2002, 22:50
My '01 did something real similar (repeatedly)when it was new and the dealer ended up replacing the fuel cap. They mentioned it was drawing air into the system causing the problem. I guess the diesels have a non-vented cap.

dieseldealer
12-06-2002, 14:49
Our dealership currently has a truck in our service dept that is doing the exact same thing. It has been towed in 3 times. Any ideas?

C J Fairall
12-07-2002, 00:06
ih1466
hickcox
dieseldealer
I have run into this problem to times now, and the problem was a leak in the suction side of the fuel supply system. the first time was a very small leak at the vent screw on top of the fuel filter assy.. The second time the customer chaned his own fuel filter and created a leak at the water sensor.
Remember, this system is under vacuum therefore there won't be an obvious fuel leak. Also the leak is usually quite small to create the symptoms you describe. The method used to find the leak is to pump the primer pump until it gets very hard to push ( about 30 strokes ) and wait for 2 minutes and pump it again. visually inpect the entire system for a sign of fuel. just the slightest show of fuel will cause the problems of start and stall or a no start after sitting overnight. This procedure is slow and tedious, but necessary to find the leak. Good luck
Jim.

dieseldealer
12-07-2002, 15:47
Thank you for the reply. I will pass this on to my shop and I hope it helps.