PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start

7th son
12-05-2002, 22:20
Hello all,

I'm a rank newbie-this is my first post! Just traded my '02 X-cab 5.3 for my new '03 X-cab D-Max/Allison about 10 days ago after my 5.3 started doing the cold-start knock thing at about 20K. Traded over the telephone and never even drove it until the papers were signed! Based on my last 6.2, I knew it had to be good. After 800 miles, I can't believe how good it really is.

I know I'll have a lot of questions you guys can help me with as time goes on. The first one is, does anyone know of a remote-start kit that works reliably with this truck? If so, any installation hints?

Thanks in advance-I look forward to a long association with the group here. It sure looks like a great bunch of folks.

Thanks,

Ed

wangotango
12-05-2002, 23:44
OK, we'll help. Stop being such a suck ass.

My first suggestion is to use the "search" feature of this mighty board. Search and read. Then search and read some more.

Welcome and have fun with your new truck.

w/t

polaris800
12-06-2002, 09:34
Hello. I just had a Valet 552T long range 2500" installed on my new 2003 duramax last week. I can tell you that the installer had his hands full try to install this unit. The problems was that the 03 has a total new wiring system then the 01/02. Now after spending hours installing this and the tech was a very experience one it has been sucessfully installed and it works well. I will give you the web page that is from the manufacture so you can look it over.

DEI is the manufacture

WWW.alarms.com/security/valet/

Good luck! smile.gif

Nels
12-06-2002, 09:53
The remote starter on my truck is a Code Alarm unit. It was installed at the dealership by one of their truck accessories vendors (Monroe truck equipment, I think). Being dealer installed, there is no chance of conflict with warranty issues. I know that shouldn't be a problem anyway, but I am playing it safe. I also take it to the dealer for all the oil changes for the same reason. I've got one of those seemingly rare dealerships with a reputable service department. Anyway, the Code alarm works fine, and hooks into the factory security system with no conflicts. You will, however, learn quickly to close all the doors BEFORE locking the doors with the remote (this also arms the alarm). If not done in that order, BEEP -- BEEP -- BEEP . . .

It has the "wait to start" feature designed with diesels in mind, and also a valet feature. This allows you to make a stop at the 7-11 (or wherever), and remove the keys (leaving the engine running) while you make that quick run into the store for a cup o' joe. When you jump back in, simply replace the key and drive away.

dontxs
12-06-2002, 21:44
Does anyone know anything about this alarm (Viper 790 XV 2 way remote start)? Any comments would be helpful, Thanks Don

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: dontxs ]</p>