PDA

View Full Version : keep an eye on your allison filters

skidsteer loader
02-27-2004, 17:46
just had my truck in for first checkup but before it went in I noticed some fluid on the filter, thought maybe it was loose or a loose pan bolt? Told tech about it, he then comes back and tells me that I was 4QTS. low!! Turns out filter had a bad crimp, doesnt happen often but it does happen. I was puzzeled because I did not see any fluid on the ground. Tech said It leaked more when in gear than not?? I am planing a trip to South Carolina next weekend (could have gotten ugly) So I guess this is possible with oil and fuel filters too, So keep an eye on things guys.

mark45678
02-27-2004, 19:12
did you have oil spots on the tail gate? If not I would say it was not leakinG!!!!!! i had the start of a leak on the t case that was putting spots on the tailgate ...the hole t case only holds 4 qts...it was down 1.5 qts......the trans was full!

My new lly truck after dealer prep was down 1.5qts from the full cold line the day I picked it up...... front dif was down almost a qt.... A hole dealers!

skidsteer loader
02-29-2004, 20:23
Well here it is a few days after dealer told me I had a bad crimp on the filter and its STILL leaking. To me it looks like the auxillary pressure port plug near the spin on is the culprit. Anyone else have this problem? I am begining to think dealer gave me a line of S**T about the bad crimp Dont think I could have gotten ANOTHER bad filter.

Duramaxdiesel
02-29-2004, 21:14
the hole t case only holds 4 qt

Doesn't the T-case only hold 2.25 Quarts of oil?

Lone Eagle
03-01-2004, 21:38
Sounds like it came from the factory low. My last three trucks came with low fluid levels from one end to the other. Later! Frank

skidsteer loader
03-04-2004, 18:10
Things just keep getting better, NOW they tell me I have a CRACK in the bell housing. Please read post on "crack in the aliison" posted under drivetrains.

Kennedy
03-05-2004, 07:01
There is a bulletin referencing cracked cases, but it has typically been the rear case. Blame has been placed on driveshaft imbalance :rolleyes:

Glad I have a 2 pc shaft and have custom tailored my angles...