PDA

View Full Version : Broken push rod

TXAtty
12-09-2004, 08:17
While replacing my injectors - 67,000 miles on my 02 dmax - the tech found a broken push rod on one of the intake valves (he recovered all the pieces). I had previously complained of knocking in the engine, but another dealer told me it was nothing to be concerned with - everything was normal - that was at 33,000 miles. I don't know if the push rod was broken then, but I suspect it may have been. My Question: Do I need to ask them investigate any further for damage to the engine before they give it back to me?

dmaxalliTech
12-09-2004, 09:57
I find it hard to believe a broken push rod wouldnt have some symptoms along with it, but injectors going out could mask it. Should be coupled with a noticable noise, and a miss to an extent. Curious as to how its broke.

TXAtty
12-09-2004, 11:02
So far all that I have been told was the top broke off and fell into the oil valley. Have not been out to see it. As far as other symptoms - same as injector failure - loss of power, engine was a bit louder than normal, harder to start, but not missing to any great extent. The engine has had an intermittent knock for the past 34,000 miles. Funny thing is - there was no problem getting injector replacements - another local dealer had a large number in stock, but they have not found a replacement push rod.

bdp
12-14-2004, 16:49
It must of been still opening some. If the intake valve wont open then it will smoke like a train due to it not getting and air to burn the fuel.

I have delt with it alot on the PSD's and when they break just put another in and it runs fine. Still havent figured out why they break so often, factory designed weak point maby? :confused: