PDA

View Full Version : Dmax's at Pismo Beach

ndamico
08-26-2002, 00:57
I got back from quadding at the Pismo Beach dunes today and noticed there were 7 Dmax's there, including mine. Anyone from this site? I saw 2 that had 35's and one with 33's. They looked quite sharp, although I doubt I'll go that route due to towing drawbacks. Numerous RV's were getting stuck in the sand left and right. unfortunately my Dmax with the lamo-stock tires was one of them. I managed to get it out on my own, but next time I'll have better tires :D

One funny note- There was a 2001 F*** stroker trying pulling out a 25' F450 RV. The RV got stuck right in front of my campsite. The stroker hooks up the tow rope, tightens the line, then hits the gas. 5 seconds later...Bang... no more front diff! When I commented that he wasn't pulling very hard or very long, the driver of the stroker said that's the THIRD time he's blown his front diff... Ouch!!! Hope my baby Dmax is stronger than that! :eek: :eek: :eek:

DmaxMaverick
08-26-2002, 03:03
I wasn't there this weekend, but was there over the past July 4th weekend. Lots of HD's but only a couple on the dunes. I spent 4 days woopin' up on PSD's and V-10's at comp. The truck got into a few tight spots, but always got me out. Very impressive for such a heavy truck.

Mine has 33's on it and I tow a heavy 5'er (12K). It tows better with the larger tires than the stockers, and the weight cap. is higher on the 33's. They also do really well on the sand with 15 in the rear and 20 in the front (without trailer). There are a lot of opinions on tires, if you haven't noticed. I'm very pleased with mine and they seem to be wearing well. Cheers

ndamico
08-26-2002, 12:47
DmaxMav. do you have any pictures of your truck?

DmaxMaverick
08-27-2002, 00:39
ndamico

copy/paste

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1113587&uid=676626

56Nomad
08-27-2002, 09:27
I took the truck all over and back into the dunes. I think the
Dually handles the sand a little better. Pismo is
fantastic.

The only down side is that the truck needs a
super cleaning (top and bottom) after getting
back home. Pismo sand is incidious stuff

Here are the photos

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=637440&uid=469559&members=1

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
08-27-2002, 09:43
There's a guy who runs around out on Pismo with a red F350 with dual stacks, calls himself superf350. Someone with a Dmax got stuck pulling his trailer in some very loose sand and superf350 helped pull him out, but only after snapping some pics of his truck helping to pull the whole rig out of the sand. He made a huge deal about it on the FD site, and thinks it proves his truck's superiority. :rolleyes:

Here's what I suggest: pretend to get stuck. Ask him to help out, then when he hooks up, snaps pics and starts pulling, lock up the brakes and let him dig himself in up to the axles. Then unhook, drive around in front of him and hook up and snap pics of youself pulling him out of the sand, throwing a nice roostertail in the process!

I'll host the pics on the web, and we can all link to it whenever someone gets a little big for his britches ;) Haha...

Regards, Steve

mackin
08-27-2002, 15:44
SoCalDMAX,

:D :D :eek: :D :D

=&gt;http://photos.ford-diesel.com/showphoto.php?photo=7359

It's not red......But here is the hero,I shouldn't give him the notoriety...... :rolleyes:
But I do wish I could play the lame duck game.....I all ready mentioned to him if I get some pics of pulling f**ds out of snowbanks this winter I'll be looking for bragging rights......

MAC

[ 08-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

fasterthanyou
08-27-2002, 19:54
Oceano dunes is a great place. I have been attending meeting to fight the Sierra Cluber's because they really want motor vehicals out of there. I let you know more if it comes time for a good fight with them. As far a d-max's in the sand vs towing, I love towing with a 6" lift and 35's. I have airbags and fox remote resevoir shox and the rig looks great and tow's excellent. Many people could argue that I have hurt performace my altering this great truck. But many of the enhancements give you greater vision down the road, and that may give you more performance than damage. Plus chicks dig it man! I compete in off-road driving and one of our sponsors sells lifts, so that was why I did it and 80+ thousand miles later, I still love it.

SoCalDMAX
08-28-2002, 00:14
Yup, you got him, Mac, it's a black truck. He was nice enough to pull the Dmax out, but he's brought that incident up about 500 times since then. Reading a lot of his posts, I think he really is a nice guy. It would just be funny as heck to get some good photos of him gettin' hauled out by a Dmax. ;)

Regards, Steve

RScott
08-28-2002, 02:04
Cool! Didn't know there were so many duners here. I am a big Glamis fanatic myself and haven't been to Oceano in years. I for one am a big supporter of the American Sand Association. They have helped fund Friends of Oceano Dunes the group leading the fight against the Sierra Club. Support them anyway you can!

I have actually duned my truck at Gordon's well on the stock tires with 5 people in the truck and pulled out my dad's 35' pusher on the stockers. Just have to let em down to about 20 lbs and they do pretty well. I did have to piggy back once with a D**** to pull out a 32' F*** MH one time in deep soft stuff. Man did he make a big deal about a D pullin a Chevy pullin a F. Oh and one little thing, if you guys need any lights for your quads and stuff I make the Lazer Star lights.

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: RScott ]</p>

Desert Diesel
08-28-2002, 08:46
Ron,

What part #'s would you recommend for the Suzuki LT-Z400?

Regards,

David

Kent Tuttle
08-28-2002, 12:59
Ron, I agree with you on hearing that there are other duners on this forum. The ASA is great orginization to be a memeber of. I just updated to a bigger and newer trailer about a month ago and over the weekend I picked a used Banshee. I'm looking forward to the Glamis season :D Sure will be nice towing all this with the D-MAX.

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: Kent Tuttle ]</p>

getupingo
08-28-2002, 15:16
Wow, there really are a lot of duners here. I go to the buttercup and gordons wells dune areas a lot. The main reason i actually bought the dmax was so that i won't get stuck out in the dunes like my old **** would (2wd 460 gasser). I also can't wait for dune season, another month or so. It will be interesting to see how she does 4 wheelin in the sand. Who knows, maybe i will even try a run up comp hill, if i try that i will definately post some pics. What is the best tire pressure for the sand? I heard 20 psi mentioned but that sounds a little low imho. Any suggestions? Where were you a month ago when i bought my laser stars for my banshee RScott? ;) Maybe i'll get some for my 250r soon.

thanks,
getupingo :cool:

[ 08-28-2002: Message edited by: getupingo ]</p>

glamisboy
08-29-2002, 00:05
MACKIN, I'm regretting I actully cut & pasted the address to see that thing. I wished there would have been some sort of warning, that thing hurt my eyes. Just-kidding, not my kind of taste in trucks.

Hey does anyone ever spend any time in Dumont ?? We are frequent fliers there, Glamis is great but only on off weekends. Too many youngsters for an old guy like me.

Also, as you can see I've labeled a "newbie" so I'm going to live up to that title. How can I get my picturetrail address to appear, in orange, at the bottom of my signature so I can share my photo's with you all?
Thanks for your time.

mackin
08-29-2002, 04:16
glamisboy,

Welcome and I'll try and give a warning next time......It is painfull....

MAC smile.gif

56Nomad
08-29-2002, 09:23
A motorhead buddy of mine recently said that the
quickest way to ruin my ATV and truck was to run
them at Pismo. He said the very fine sand is insidious
getting into all the moving parts and eats them up as
would any abrasive material.

Is this just hype is there truth to his warnings?

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

glamisboy
08-29-2002, 10:21
56Nomad,
As long as you bathe everything in a timely manner once you arrive home you have nothing to be scared of. I think it's the salty air that's worse than the sand (surface rust's any bare metal part). As long as you have everything tightened down (i.e. air filters, carbs)rev the motor & pop the clutch !!!

I think the sand is actually finer at Glamis & Dumont due to the high winds and dry atmosphere. The sand rarely is wet and is always shifting because of the winds. Pismo's sand is always kind of "damp" and the wind seems to blow in one direction.

I've never had a bike/truck fail at Pismo due strictly to the sand or air.

All this talking about the dunes is getting me excited !!! I think I'll go into the garage & fire up one of my 'shees, & tear up and down the street a few !!!

Desert Diesel
08-29-2002, 11:19
glamisboy,

How do like your 40 footer? is it the SLC or the CL? Also do you happen to know your pin weight wet?

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 3500 in 2004 or stepping up to an MDT to tow a large fiver like the CL.

Regards,

David

glamisboy
08-29-2002, 17:54
Desert Diesel,
We have the SLC, we pondered with the thought of getting the Classic. But at the time we ordered the coach (Aug.'01)we had our '96 Dodge 3/4 ton. I was afraid the Classic would be too much for the truck, plus my SLC w/ all the options I added was about $17,000- less than the Classic w/ out the options I "had to have". While my SLC was being built the Grapevine (hwy 5) got the best of the Dodge, so in the meantime we located this bow-tie. If I would have known, I might have gotten the Classic, but I don't regret the SLC.

I'm not sure of the tongue weight, Warrior told a stock trailer like ours w/ out the "must haves" is 1950 lbs. someday for fun I may get it weighed.

We love the truck/trailer, took the combo up to Northern CA for a 2 1/2 week vacation (with the jet ski's in back). Put on 1800 miles pull'n the SLC around. I'm hoping to put some pic's up so you can check it out.

We've been real happy with the truck and trailer, no compliants. If you have any questions about the Warrior let me know, this is our 2nd. Did a-lot of homework with the help of the factory (did'nt trust any dealer,they all LIE).

getupingo
08-29-2002, 20:57
Weekend Warrior is by far the "cadillac" of all toyhauler/fifthwheel/or trailers. You can't go wrong with one. Everything is top quality. No complaints from me. The only down side to a weekend warrior is that they are so d@mn expensive.

getupingo :cool:

glamisboy
08-30-2002, 00:53
Weekend Warrior is the one all other's try to imitate. Warrior's are a bit more money but daddy always said, "Son, you get what you pay for". For us the Warrior is best suited, they know what it's like to go dry camping for 10-14 days at Dumont.

Short story:
When I refused to take delivery of my new SLC because the dealer did not order the coach the way I wanted it, the owner of Warrior called me to see what he could do to make it right. He knew it was the dealer/salesman's fault, not his companies. I told him what I expected, he delivered, and he has another satisfied cutomer who will speak highly of his product. When was the last time the head honcho of GM called you at home to ask what he could do to personally make you happy? I know my phones never rang with him on the other end, even after all my screaming and yelling, they could care less. But that's another topic for another day.

Take care y'all see you at the top-O-comp !!!!

Desert Diesel
08-30-2002, 13:29
You guys sure do have good taste in trailers. I guess I’ll have to add to my sig.
Currently have a 2002 FT2200 that is perfect for its size. Small enough to store inside my shop and large enough to haul with room to spare 1 full size quad, 1 small quad, 2 full size bikes, 1 small bike and sleep 8 with the same capacities for fresh water, grey, black, fuel etc. as the larger models. It just lacks the extra elbow room. I’ll keep it for the smaller campgrounds like Leo Carrillo in Malibu that don’t allow large trailers. But, I am still looking to get a large fiver for the desert. Spend most of my time in Lucerne Valley or at Ocotillo Wells.

Glamisboy,

Here is a link to a company that sells a great tongue weight scale. http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm
You might be surprised when you know your actual pin weight wet.
WW lists the tongue weight on a base 2200 as 700 lbs when mine is actually 1600 lbs wet without gear in the back to act as a counterbalance. It is usually 1200 lbs when I’m loaded.

Regards,

David

Kent Tuttle
08-30-2002, 23:22
Glad to here you guys are happy with your Weekend Warrior trailers. As I said earlier I just pick up a used 2000 FB2600 with a built in gen. They really are a nice trailer Can't wait to take it and the Banshee to Glamis, Oh and of coarse the D-Max pullin it all :D

RScott
09-05-2002, 01:38
Again too weird... I have a WW FS2600, all graphiced out. I love it, just gonna be too small for my new rail if and when i get it...

Desert Diesel, The Z400 bracket is in production as we speak. I will have the first of them available at the Sand Sports Super Show.

PBR
09-05-2002, 13:42
i took my chevy prerunner to pismo for the first time last year and had a blast!!! do any of you guy go to the desert, like dove springs? is anybody else going to the sand show in orange county? i need to go drool over the 4 seaters with the twin turbo northstar motors, maybe if i sell another toy and get rid of the wife! ;)

glamisboy
09-05-2002, 18:04
PBR,
We'll be at the Sand Sports Show. I'm hoping I/we can get out of there without getting further in debt !!!! Where is Dove Springs ??? I've heard about it just recently from some people, but I don't remember where they said it was.

This is sort of off topic, but does anyone have or know who has some Banshee cases for sale ???
Thought I'd ask.

DmaxMaverick
09-06-2002, 02:47
glamisboy

Email me @ gmcparts1995 at hotmail dot com. RE the banshee parts

PBR
09-06-2002, 10:17
dove springs is 25 miles north of the town of mojave. it is just past red rock canyon and jawbone canyon. there is everything out there, hill climbs, washes, whoops, etc... it is my favorite place to ride, but it is just to damm hot in the summer.

mackey_62
09-06-2002, 11:14
SoCalDMAX,
Check this out.....

http://photos.ford-diesel.com/showphoto.php?photo=8138

You want to break this guys b***s?? Check out the bowtie on his shirt.

I'm sure all his F*** buddies would love to see this picture.

Kent Tuttle
09-06-2002, 11:25
"is anybody else going to the sand show in orange county?"
Count me in for the Sand Show :D

RScott
09-07-2002, 01:06
Look me up in the Lazer Star booth in Building 10 at the Sand show. If you come on Sat or Sunday you'll see my Weekend Warrior and perhaps Dmax parked along the fence...

Here's another board I moderate, we just switched to new sofware last night. There are a couple good Diesel topics in the tech forums.

http://www.americansandassociation.org/phpBB/index.php

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: RScott ]</p>